Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Surfing, surfing on spanish radio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 03:32

I now love Surfing, am addicted to it and can't get enough of it.

And I don't mean surfing the net :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 05:45

Didn't someone say that the Vocaloid software is built around a sampled model of Miriam Stockly's voice? There is an argument, that the more musical folks out there (Korgscrew,Musically inspired etc) might want to pick up on, that by the time you've sampled, distorted and generally mucked about with a sound (in this case a voice) the source of that sound starts becoming more and more irrelevant. You could throw the vocoder into that argument as well. There is also the issue of control, we all know Mike is a control freak and I guess software like this puts him in a position where he can tweak things into oblivion.

It has to has to said that Surfing is the first piece thus far that it really is noticeable that the voice is synthetic. On TOAA I don't think I could tell very easily that the voices are artificial, its quite eerie really. Like I said in an earlier post Surfing for me sounds like a sort of bizarre futuristic lullaby, which may or may not be as Mike intended.

On Mike and technology. Well Tom Newman did say in that interview many years ago 'Mike's got sequencers he knows how to use them and he's gonna use them'. Just add onto that list drum pads, guitar sax's, Vocaloids, any other musical gimmick you care to mention etc, etc. Its a fact of life now for MO fans that for whatever ever reason Mike loves his technology and is going to use it. For me its HOW he uses it which now becomes governing factor as to how to judge the quality of a track.

TOAA works for me because its got a powerful and charismatic guitar lick, not to mention a great solo, flowing throw what is a very originally constructed piece full of interesting and well researched sounds (mostly done on Vocaloid) and other great moledies. So TOAA would be a great little example of Mike using technology WELL.

Its just a shame that a few tracks later on the same CD we're going to come across Romance which is at the opposite end of the musical spectrum on every level.
Profile PM 
dominic Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 06:37

The 2nd half of Surfing is great... This is real Shade sound :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield forever
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2005, 04:30

yesterday, david (toroacu)'s blog, a man and his music, mentioned the radio edit of 'surfing' was actually being broadcasted by cadena 100. 'surfing' has entered la lista de los 100 doing number 19.

yesterday too, i asked in a local record shop if they knew about the new album and they told me they had received an email with september 26th as the release date. the guy told me they were expecting to receive the album on the 24th.
it seems 'light and shade' promotion has already started in spain :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2005, 14:47

Thanks girly!!!

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Lasse Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2005, 11:22

Love this song!
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 20:48

My friends say that Surfing sounds very GAY and they say that I am very GAY because I like it.
My friends even took it so far that they didnt want to shoot pool with me yesterday because they think I have so poor taste in music!
Are your chums as "happy" as mine?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 21:06

Surfing as queer(gay) music?
I'd say Shakira, Deborah Cox would fit perfectly on that genre.

I'm sure that Mike has got gay/lesbian/bissexual fans as well as straight fans,but his music is for everybody, it doesn't matter their sexual orientation.

What does care is the music.Nothing more.

If your friends say that Surfing is gay music,leave them alone!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 21:19

Yes Tati.
You are right. unfortunately I cant leave my friends, if i did i would be alone.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 22:18

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 23 2005, 22:19)
Yes Tati.
You are right. unfortunately I cant leave my friends, if i did i would be alone.

I'm not saying to leave your friends,but don't let them upset you with those comments.Most of my friends don't like Mike Oldfield but they respect my taste regarding music.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 06:12

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 23 2005, 20:48)
My friends say that Surfing sounds very GAY and they say that I am very GAY because I like it.
My friends even took it so far that they didnt want to shoot pool with me yesterday because they think I have so poor taste in music!
Are your chums as "happy" as mine?

Don't know what kind of age group you are Harmono,or that of your friends/what music they're into.But anyway,in my part of the world young people seem to be using the word "gay" to describe someone/something that's well,straight out of the mouth of young person I know-"stupid n stuff" :p

Bet if several people went around all wearing "surfing" T.shirts then they'd all want one & it would suddenly be "cool" wouldn't it? Bravo to you for having your own mind.Now hurry up someone & get the garment out there :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 16:28

Sir Mustapha, it seems to me that you are getting more and more negative about Mike and his music, i would suggest you not listening to him for a couple of years!!!.Try something/someone else, it's getting boring.
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 17:40

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Sep. 24 2005, 17:28)
Sir Mustapha, it seems to me that you are getting more and more negative about Mike and his music, i would suggest you not listening to him for a couple of years!!!.Try something/someone else, it's getting boring.

And he's in his early 20's.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
52 replies since Sep. 02 2005, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net