Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Surfing, surfing on spanish radio< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 15:11

YYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!
This is Wunderbar!

This track is once again in very very low sound quality, but its still sooooo gooood.
first I was confused, but now Im SURFING!
Play it again Mike!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 21:22

yeah i listen too it now, and its lovely. I think its have the same catch that foregin affari had. But this is much deeper and lovely. The gutar solo impressed my wife actually!!!
Thats really a good sign. Also my mom like it. It was not difficult to get at emule  :)  Try emule and surfing!!!
You will be hooked,
and not get it out from you head

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 23:22

The guitar's solo is great, like 5 Discovery's period, and song is like 5 Miles Out's period.
I'm just disapointed by artificial rythm. I prefer real drums.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 00:13

It's great to see a real sense of anticipation for the new album. This track and Tears of an Angel have really stirred up interest, and a belief that this album could be something good.

By the way, if anyone has a link to Surfing, I'd love to hear it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Teidi Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 02:47

All this talk about TOAA and Surfing, and I'm going crazy in anticipation of the new album.   Still, I'll wait for the full CD before listening (or reading) any further.

As for Mike's latest computerized, and "formula" driven music, well, if you read his interviews, he's very up front about how he writes what he wants, and that he doesn't think about what genre or category its going to fall in.   He's even said that he's written some un-structured Amorak-like material recently but just didn't like it.   Maybe it parellels aging, or getting more comfortable with life, or whatever, but its simply a matter of fact that people evolve through life in many ways including musical inspiration.   One of my all-time favorite artists, Patrick O'Hearn, has really come on strong lately with a very very ambient style.   I don't really care for it too much, but when it comes to Mike's "structured" stlye that he's used now for several year's, I must say that it follows exactly my own personal progression of tastes since say TB2, almost to a que.   Moments like Sirius, Cochise, and what would appear to be many more in L&S, are just as wonderful as anything from the older 70s albums for me.

The style changes over the years, but the wonderous emotional quality of the music has always remained constant.    The small snipet I've heard of "Angelique" would indicate to me, that this is still the case in 2005.  Thank God.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 03:48

I personally don't like to hear any of Mikes music before an official release, because it's normally of bad quality, and if it's not, it's normally illegal.But mainly because i would want to hear the whole album as one, so, i can make an opinion based on the complete album, not just one track, which might not represent what the whole album is about.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 11:15

I am just wondering where all of you are listening to this???

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 13:22

I was very confused before, but I googled emule and then sucked it in to my machine and now I have this low quality version of surfing and some other music.

I just want to add that I will buy L&s even if the whole album would be be available on the NET.
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 20:14

Well, the sound quality is pure crap, but as it seems to me, this is nevertheless the worst track off the Light and Shade I have heard so far. Can't help it. The melody is way too ... what's the word, saccharine? On the positive side, TOAA sounded as if almost something pretty much listeneable, at least the guitar solo was great! But the artificial percussion irks me too much. Sorry.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 01:39

How can you say that after that amazing "No Dream"-esque solo!?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 05:34

It has to be said on the first couple of listens I thought it was quite saccharine, especially during the 'surfing I'm surfing' chorusy bit. However in a weird way the way the rest of the track is constructed including, as Musically Inspired points out, the storming guitar solo, it pulls the track in the opposite direction to quite interesting effect. Also in a strange way the computerised vocals make it sound really quite eerie, its almost like a perversely futuristic lullaby. I do however wish Mike would discover a new bass sound to use, Its that same plonky synth bass sound thats is all over TresLunas. It still seems a lot more well thought out and generally powerful than lot of his recent stuff though.

I think Mike and artificall percussion are unfortunately inserperable now. I think you just have to get use'd to it a listen to whatever else is going on in the track and as far as TOAA is concerned there's shit loads going on.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 05:40

Has anyone heard Romance yet?  Apparently there is a sound file up somewhere!  The comments about it are quite negative.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 05:43

Nope haven't heard it, if anybody has it can they PM me. Cheers
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 06:13

Quote (Chicular @ Sep. 13 2005, 05:40)
Has anyone heard Romance yet?  Apparently there is a sound file up somewhere!  

it was broadcasted by that polish radio station and octavio molano said in an email to the amarok mailing list that he has uploaded it here

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 06:23

I've posted a new topic on Romance for discussions to go there.

As for Surfing, there's something strangly catchy about that melody, and the vocals are more than a little surreal. The solo in the middle is again fantastic, I can only imagine how powerful it would be in full sound quality, turned up really loud :cool: .

From the six tracks I've heard so far (including Romance), the new album will be, well, interesting. I am excited. It'll be something to take my mind away from the pain of an Ashes loss...  :/  :/  :/

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 09:46

Never liked 'No Dream' that much :) But of course, the sound quality itself is still a major factor and I might adjust my opinion a little bit (but probably not more than that). There are bits and pieces of something I like in most of the tracks that Oldfield has produced in more recent years, but there's usually nothing more than that. :( 'Sirius' from Tres Lunas was probably one of the best.
('Romance' - just listening to it and I don' like it.)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 18:09

Finally got to listen to this. Well, if Mike was able to pull of that really cool middle section, I just wonder why the heck he's insisting SO MUCH in that hi-tech fluff. It's really, really No-Dreamesque, and though it is a dèja vu, it's a good dèja vu. I know fans will bash me because Mike's style is just changing, and he's growing older, and I can't say what music Mike should be doing, etc. etc. and etc. But Mike said, more than a decade ago, that computers were "the curse of modern music". 'Surfing' is, quite simply, the ultimate proof of this. His obssession, his fetish, his almost unhealthy PASSION for getting the most hi-tech computers, synthesizers and technologies that are yet to be invented are just killing this material. He's fixed on those artificial rhythms (which are probably built-in on the software, and not created by Mike himself), the samey synth patches and the-music-writes-itself style. Thus, he just comes up with a subpar melody and that's that. And the Vocaloids? Man! Man, man, man. Not only I'm BLOODY TIRED of the "flicking" vocals (first Cher, then Madonna, then everybody else, and now MIKE OLDFIELD??), and the artificial sound is... well, er, if he REALLY intended to give an "unnatural" approach to the music, he should just check out Radiohead, or if you're being radical, Kraftwerk (though I just don't like the "Tour De France Soundtracks" frog-voice either). To me, he's just being megalomaniacal as he has always been, and is using the Vocaloids just so that he won't need to work with actual singers. Business as usual, I'd say (and not the excellent Men At Work album, that is).

Forgive me for this rant, but hey, at least I'm SOMEWHAT positive towards this track. The actual played bits are good (VERY good, actually!;). The parts when the computers are on auto-pilot are the actual problem. Overall, I'd say Mike has a lot of good music inside him, but he's either having problems getting them out, or he just doesn't care. I think the technical aspects of the music are more important to him, anyway, and he's doing the 00's equivalent of 80's synth pop. So be it.

I STILL want to hear the finished album, though.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 19:33

first cher and madonna, now mike, well yes...
'But this one is good i think!. Hes really out with a good vocal song here now. What about orabidoo and that voice? In 80's they had that sound and now in 2005 they have this sound. The robot sound i call it he he..
I remember that day cher came out with the song belive he he. I hated it. It was really bad, /the robot voice) But now im use with it. Lives changes and artist (like mike) finds new way to make music and i think....., we must get use to that. He always give a damn about what people says about his ways and i respect that. if he did that we maybe wouldnt be lucky to see no more albums at all. In fact hes doing new music, and that part we would be happy of!
Why not if he find more an more new way's to do this music like this. That would give us more albums  :)
I know im sound to dumb happy about this, but im glad that he found joy in this beacuse that makes more music and inspiration!!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 20:08

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 15 2005, 19:33)
What about orabidoo and that voice? In 80's they had that sound and now in 2005 they have this sound. The robot sound i call it he he..

The "singing mosquito"? Euurrgh, don't remind me of that. I manage to enjoy "Orabidoo" lots when I manage to get over that buzzy "voice". Oh, I'm not taking you for granted or anything, but just to clarify you: in the early 80's, Mike used a Vocoder, which "transforms" your voice into a synthesizer sound. You sing into it, y'know. In this album, Mike is using a software called Vocaloid, which GENERATES voice - that is, nobody is singing there. The computer is making up the voice as it goes. And no, I don't find that cool. Sorry.

Lives changes and artist (like mike) finds new way to make music and i think....., we must get use to that.

Hmm... I'm not quite sure I agree with that. I don't think "getting used to it" is a good attitude, really. If you don't like it, stick to your feelings and be true to yourself! I never tried to "get used" to music that I don't like. If I don't like it, I'll switch to something else, or even better - I'll be motivated to DO something myself. I'm pretty sure that's the motivation behind many bands that caused quite significant revolutions in our world. People were not "used" to the music they were listening, so they went ahead and did something new. If people just got used to anything, we'd have plenty of monotony and boredom in our world.

I just won't force myself to like that kind of stuff. Maybe, possibly, perhaps, who-knows-there's-a-small-possibility eventually I'll like this, but it will have to be very spontaneous. I know myself well enough to know that when I feel I don't like some piece of music, then I just don't like me. Returning to Mike's 90's work has just given me lots of bitterness and frustration. I really, really don't like it, so that's it. :) I don't want to be deceptive, or any party-pooper, but I'm being honest. And I'm not swearing and cursing at God and everyone else, so at least you can visualise me as a peaceful, soft-spoken fella with a lukewarm, but honest smile, just willing to stop talking and go put on "Takk..." one more time. ;)

Keep your good mood, it will only make you good. And I do hope you'll enjoy the new album. Let's all be happy one more time.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 21:10

really great Sir Mustapha  :)  Im not here to be anger or something no one likes it. You know... when you burns for something and you want that everybody must like it. That what i feel, but i respect you. No anger at all., Just a litlle iuasgfuAGHDFØKJASBDGKØJABSDØFKJBASØDF :(  :p

ONLY kiddin :)
I hope after all, you find the other song in the album good. I ceartenly hope for you. Im not happy if not everybody is happy; thats just me. I know that your'e a fan and i would do everything to make you happy with the album, but thats sure dont work if you dont have a good feelings about it.

If you see it like this!!
After Earth moving.. what suddenly came out??
Just stay with this hope he he...

and about the singing mosquito, i dont know about the technic. I just a listener he he..
But you see it and i can understand that..
But then i get confussed.. Im a artist and i paint pictures and makes photographs. Now we are lucky to use alot of computer things to do new art, and i dont mind that. I can make my photographs very good and personally and people likes it. We are still using our emotions in the pictures. Maybe mike do that too? I always use music, inspiration when i create things. Even with technology-things.  

Maybe its the time for that now.. i dont know!!
but one thing is true! You speak the true and gives me smileys!!
thanks Sir M. Hav ea nice night! I will go for a concert tomorrow with Jon Anderson. Have a good night! see you!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
52 replies since Sep. 02 2005, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net