Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunset on light vs. Sunset in Maestro< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 09:10

After re-reading some of Mikes comments on the background to the tracks on the new album I was surprised to read that Sunset was based on a section of music from Maestro. Since I didn't recall liking the original Maestro music that much (but love Sunset) I had another listen.

Playing the Maestro track now I can see it is mostly the same melody but faster and a different arrangement. However I still don't particularly like it.

Anyone here agree? Anyone think the opposite and prefer the Maestro incarnation of the song?

Matt

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:42

As someone pointed out in the MusicVR Forum, the tune itself is very close to the tune in the finale of Sibelius's 5th symphony.

I must say I like Mike's use of it in Maestro. Whether it stands up as music on its own I'm not sure; but in its context, as a reward for collecting all the gravitars in the game, and with the visual effect of all those letters tumbling about, and the spaceship dancing through the sky, I think it makes for a piece of very joyful fun which I've yet to grow tired of.

The 'Sunset' version came as a surprise to me, following from the exuberance of the Maestro version, but I think it's very successful, and of course creates an entirely different mood.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 04:25

Aaah, I have had trouble getting "in" to Maestro and have only heard the music through a ripped .ogg (yes, from my own bought copy of Maestro!;).

I should have realised considering how much I like many of the music/graphic sequences in MusicVR that it might feel different in its proper context.

Maybe I'll have to take a deep breath, ignore my son complaining "Daddy, why does this MusicVR not have any music in it?" and try and find that sequence...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 04:58

Quote (Matt @ Dec. 14 2005, 09:25)
Maybe I'll have to take a deep breath, ignore my son complaining "Daddy, why does this MusicVR not have any music in it?" and try and find that sequence...

Yes, yes, Maestro can indeed seem like MusicVR without the music!!! There IS some in there, but some of it has to be earned - like the Maestro theme.

Why not play online? Have you joined the MVR Club? It's more fun collecting gravitars in company, and it's quicker, because you don't have to do it all yourself; and it's also more fun achieving Maestro, because once one person has done it, it's a very easy matter for everyone else to follow them.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Dec. 13 2005, 09:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net