Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sunburst Fender Stratocaster, First Appearance In Mount Teide< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Craig Evans Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 09:03

The Sunburst Fender Stratocaster that Mike Oldfield used occasionialy for a compressed piano-like sound (with slow attack and decay) on tracks such as "Sentinel" (1:18 to 4:49 time frame), "Clear Light" (1:49 to 2:50 time frame) and "Voyager title track" (2:13 to 2:32 and 3:21 to 3:40 time frames) makes its first appearence in "Mount Teide" in this time area 2:19 to 2:37.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: May 30 2006, 17:56

Interesting, Mike is indeed very good at using compression. Did Mike use small compression pedals (with 2 or 3 knobs : sustain and gain) or bigger compression boxes to get his sustained tones  ? I have none and I am considering buying one which would do for the guitar solo at the end of Orabidoo.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: June 02 2006, 10:03

Hi there nushky!  :)  :)  At first Mike Oldfield seems to use a multi-effects box for compression and distortion such as the Glorfindal box (on "Tubular Bells I" and "Hergest Ridge").  From "Ommadawn" right through to "Amarok" Mike preffered to use a complex rig of guitar effects as well as a single limiter compressor and a Roland Gr300 guitar synthersiser which he used occasionally untill "Heaven's Open".  From "Tubular Bells II" to "Light and Shade" and beyond Mike has now been using the Roland GP8 and the Roland VG8 guitar multi-effects units.  He has also recently been using an Electric Guitar Virtual instrument called "Slayer" for example for the guitar chords on "Nightshade" (from "Light and Shade").  Throughout the years Mike has also used compression channels from The Manor mixing desk which he still has now.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 04 2006, 13:16

this guitar influenced me in a way you can't imagine!  :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 19 2006, 09:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net