Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer of Amarok< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2011, 06:30

My summer is all planned out and I will be achieving a life long ambition.

Between July and September, I will be transcibing fully, Amarok into a full band score.

It will be a great challenge but one that I am so excited about as it is my favourite Mike Oldfield work.

Having completed full transcriptions of Ommadawn and Taurus 2, this will be the everest for me! :)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 15 2011, 07:53

Is this so that you can perform it?
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 15 2011, 08:11

:) Any chance you share the scores with us ? Amarok ..waouh !!! so good !
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: May 15 2011, 10:37

No, it's not for me to perform. It's a private commission so it wont be for in the public domain I'm afraid.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 03 2011, 19:02

Just an update on my Amarok transcription project.

I will be giving a series of online diaries throughout the process so please do follow me through the journey.

The first part (introduction) is up on youtube. Future videos wont be as long as this!

Amarok Transcription

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 04 2011, 04:28

:D God ! you speak too fast for me ;)  :/ Ohh ! I was hoping you'd play a bit of Amarok on piano ... So if you're not going to share it maybe one day we could hope to get this transcription as an "edited score book " .
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 04 2011, 06:44

I will play bits at the piano in future diaries, this was just the introduction. Sorry if I speak to fast, that's just my way.

Keep checking the progress!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 04 2011, 07:42

:D Sure , i'll wait for that !!

...no worries about your speaking :D it was a joke of course ...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:05

A M A Z I N G    S T U F F  .   .    .   .  

An orchestral score for 'Amarok'??? Are you crazy???

A huge PITY to hear we won't be able to share the final result of the project, but anyway take a lot of courage and go for it man!!! It's an amazing goal and the triple choice of the themes, 'Ommadawn', 'Taurus II' and 'Amarok', is very good because them three albums (5MO and the rest) are always the best three regarding fans' polls.

When you're in the middle of one of those crazy, neverending fast mazes 'Amarok' has, and you feel exhausted and faint, remember your work will remain for History.

Best wishes!!!!

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 09 2011, 12:12

Hey thanks for your encouraging words! I'm sure I will have many moments where I get really bogged down by Amarok complexities.

Yes I am mad to attempt it but I have been asked to write it and due to the nature of the work (ie I am getting paid) it would not be available to the public unless it were to get officially published. I would like to think that maybe one day I could get these scores published as I am certain they would sale like hot cakes but only time will tell.

Do keep checking my youtube page and I will post updates here as well.

Cheers

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
hph Offline

Posted: June 09 2011, 13:55

Wow. All my respect for doing this, man. And thanks for sharing the process with us, I'll surely keep watching your video blogs. I used to play small bits of Amarok on the piano over the years (or let's say: I TRIED TO! ;) ) because it's such an inspiring work and I can imagine the mountain of work that you are willing to climb now.

Hats off!
hans
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 07:48

Hi all just to let you know that the second video diary is now ready to view.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHE-EtBv_4

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 09:12

Very interesting. Is it the difficulty of producing reliable score transcriptions from midi that is stopping you doing all this in midi? I would have thought that the easier way to do a band transcription would have been to put the entire project on a sequencer.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 09:28

I don't like midi and I don't have a sequencer so am doing the entire thing by ear and notating it through Sibelius to produce a professional score of the piece.

It's long but ultimatley rewarding :)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 10:02

I can see why that would be better for a piano transcription, but it's very difficult to do a band transcription without something to play the parts for you. Do you have much experience transcribing guitar tab? I would have thought doing a transcription of the guitar lines would in itself be biting off an awful lot.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 11:34

The transcription is not designed as a band transcription but a visual representation of the music. I may not even include TAB just standard notation. The aim is to get as close as possible in printed music, the sounds heard on the CD.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 14:33

I see ... "piano reduction" is maybe the proper term. I agree, it's much better to do that on Sibelius than anything else. It's also very difficult, especially with Mike's work, to avoid adding that extra line or texture that turns it into a performance nightmare.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 15:48

I'm writing it for 4 guitars, 2 keyboards, piano, bass, percussion and voices so more than a reduction just the guitar parts are not neccessarily written for guitar players if you see what I mean. It is designed as an overall perspective of the piece such as the melody and harmony etc

It certainly could be easily adapted for a band performance.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sordel Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 16:05

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It's interesting to know what band you have in mind ... I assume that the original is largely multi-tracked, so it's new information to know that you think it can be done with four guitar lines. Is that two acoustic, two electric or are the guitar parts just whatever you need at that moment?
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 30 2011, 06:21

Well, it could change as it's the early stages so far but I have 2 acoustic and 2 electric. The difficulty is in the keyboard parts as often there are ethnic sounding instruments and a wide range of keyboard sounds so there are lots of labels used to indicate the sound used etc rather than having 8 or 9 keyboard parts just for each sound.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
54 replies since May 15 2011, 06:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net