[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer music??, what do you think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 05 2005, 21:59

We all know that the summer is near..
And i must say that mike is typical summer music.. He is a good known summer music in norway with Moonlight shadow. But i think its more than that!!! Forexample:My favorite must be "in the pool"!! I never get borred with this beautiful piece of guitar! This is  what i will hear more from mike. He also have "To france" that gives me summer feelings.. Maybe the hole Discovery album is summer for me. Its good to hear on hot summer days and they make me happy too.

Another album that always (or two albums) gives me summer feeling is Crises and five miles out..
Crises have the good feeling with it ( the 80's feeling that make me happy) And five miles out have taurus and orabidoo   :)

maybe its should be a mike summer album with his best cut from his albums... I certanly personally take mike as summer music. Both Crises and five miles out remains be about long hot summer days. Maybe because i bought them on summer 2001??

I cant imagine moonlight shadow on winter screen.. I see a night in summer. (because the summer have the mystic nights and the warm moon up on the sky thats play upon the water)

Forexample: i cant imagine Ommadawn in summer.. i see winter feelings in this album..

:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 06 2005, 06:11

Summer music, eh?

Well last Summer, Incantations worked for me, especially the oft-criticised Part Two - very nice on a Summer's afternoon.

I'll also be playing the Waterboys' Irish folk-inspired Room To Roam album, because that is my #1 Summer record.

Sinead O'Connor will also get a look in, as will some long sprawling electric jamming Neil Young and Crazy Horse for when I'm feeling more boogie-fied.

Summer's my favourite season for music - it just begs to be played in celebration of the longer hours of daylight and the sunshine.

:)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 06:48

I would count Hergest Ridge as summer music, as well as possably Incantations and Amarok. Don't ask what makes me think this though, it's just a slight feeling more than anything else.

I do, however, very much consider Tubular Bells to be a wintery album, because I strongly associate it with the time I was listening to it and watching rain fall on my window. That was when I first started to really love the album. Great memory.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 09:33

Quote (raven4x4x @ May 06 2005, 06:48)
I would count Hergest Ridge as summer music, as well as possably Incantations and Amarok.

Yet, isn't much of Incantations Side 4 also "wintery" to you?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 13:57

It must depend more on when you first heard the albums that what the music suggests. But I do agree that Incantations Part 2 evokes the summer. One of the early websites that introduced me to Mike's albums consisted of lots of users' comments. I remember someone thought Incantations reminded them of the four seasons. Part 4 was agreed to represent winter with the vibraphone parts resembling iceicles!

Other summery bits of music for me are Mont St Michel, most of  Five Miles Out the album and, I guess, Summit Day. I associate Crises with its album cover, so more to do with night
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 15:34

Quote (raven4x4x @ May 06 2005, 06:48)
I do, however, very much consider Tubular Bells to be a wintery album, because I strongly associate it with the time I was listening to it and watching rain fall on my window. That was when I first started to really love the album. Great memory.

That's a very good point. I think a lot of how we perceive the feel/ambience of an album is determined by the surroundings we are in and what is happening around us.

For me, 'Tubular Bells' is a warm summers day with storm clouds approaching; 'Hergest Ridge' is Spring in the English countryside - very pastoral; 'Ommadawn' is a hot summer's day on Side 1 and a wet summer's day on Side 2. 'Incantations' is autumn through to winter as you progress through the 4 parts, culminating in a manic Christmas Day on Part 4 - the vibes give a lovely yuletide feeling.

These first four albums were true tone poems, giving the imagination free rein to lose itself in other places, worlds and situations. I don't get the same artistic impression from the shorter pop songs and straightforward rock - although 'Platinum' side 1 is worthy of mention for simply being so upbeat and happy - another track which reminds me of Christmas.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Rileman Offline

Posted: May 10 2005, 07:46

I associate the Tr3s Lunas album with the summer, because I bought it last summer. It was (almost) the only
cd I played then. It's a good album with warm music.   :cool:

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 11:03

The BEST MIKE'S SUMMER MUSIC IS Tr3s Lunas!

Absolutely Perfect my friend Kay

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 13:44

I agree. I have this image associated with the track Tr3s Lunas - of having it loudly blaring out of an old American 60's Thunderbird or other big car, rolling along the flat roads of Texas in all the dry heat, with a beautiful cloudless blue sky.

Lovely. The second music dream like this I've had - the first being Fields Of Gold, Sting. I actually want to stand in a field with Barley as far as the eye can see in all directions now.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 16:53

Quote (hiawatha @ May 06 2005, 09:33)

Great point there Hiawatha.  On a similier note just as "Incantations" contains both wintry and summer pieces of music.  "Tubular Bells" and "Hergest Ridge" also contain both summer and wintry pieces in my honest opinon of course.

I feel that the first three quarters of "Hergest Ridge Part 1" and "Hergest Ridge Part 2" before and after the "Thunderstorm" remind me of a calm, sunny and warm summers day.  I also feel that the "Latin", "A Minor Chord", "Blues" and the closing acoustic guitar sections from "Tubular Bells Part 1" together with "Harmonics", "Peace" and "The Sailor's Hornpipe" from "Tubular Bells Part 2" remind me of a happy, peacefull and sunny summers day.

However I also feel that most of "Tubular Bells Part 1" and "Guitars Sounding Like Bagpipes" and "Piltdown Man" from "Tubular Bells Part 2" together with the "Thunderstorm" from "Hergest Ridge Part 2" remind me of a dramatc Winter Blizzard and a Spring Thunderstorm.

The "sleigh bells" section followed by the choir towards the end of "Hergest Ridge Part 1" is also wintry because it reminds me of Christmas and "Ambient Guitars" from "Tubular Bells Part 2" reminds me of calm and sunny but crisp, misty and frosty winters day.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 18:36

A real summery sound through a whole album, laid back, lazy & relaxed, is Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams.

As for Mike Oldfield albums, definitely Tres Lunas, and the song Froggy!!

And parts of Tubular Bells.

Interesting way of looking at music, I'm thinking on.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 16 2006, 08:45

Tubular Bells is very full of heat. To me, it's one of his, um... "summeriest" albums. Amarok too. Also possibly QE2.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2006, 11:17

Summer is about heat, and also light and colour and open doors and a warm breeze and exploration. Yes, Tubular Bells really is a summer album. Known it and loved it for thirty years and I understand something else new about it today. Marvelous!

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 23:12

Quote (hiawatha @ May 06 2005, 08:33)

I vascillate in my thinking about this. I associate most of Inc with early summer (well....sort of hard not to with part 2..."in the early summer morning" and the other imagery) but since dancing to part of part IV at Brid's Jam (Imbolc--February), I do associate it with winter at the same time.

Tres Lunas is as summery as summery gets for me. As I've mentioned in the past, even typing these words I feel the wet sand squishing between my toes, I smell the salty sea air mixed with bain de soleil sunscreen, and almost hear seagulls.

Hergest Ridge is sort of summery, but more Spring, with the greening Earth.

Arron--you mentioned "Fields of Gold"--in the last month, that has become my most-played iPOD song--am on sort of a kick with it. I've been in those fields before. :)  I find the first part of Tubular Bells very autumnal, but.....the second part takes me to those same fields....of sweet fields in late July, beginning of August. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Voyager Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 15:58

I think all Oldfield albums fits for every season of the year:p
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 18 2006, 19:19

Summer music?

Oh, well... In Spain, speaking about summer music is speaking about Georgie Dann (FLASH plugin and speaker up loud needed) ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 18 2006, 22:01

Quote (Incantations2085 @ Mar. 15 2006, 17:03)
The BEST MIKE'S SUMMER MUSIC IS Tr3s Lunas!

Absolutely Perfect my friend Kay

Yes! Tres lunas indeed!!
Hergest ridge is perfect to play when it is spring,... like now!!  :zzz:
Amarok is 24t all the year album. I play it all times! :)
Islands is a summer album, also earth moving include Five mile out and Crises. Must be a reason and that could be becuase i bought them right before travelling to crete!

Tubular bells orginal is winter
Tubular bells 2 is warm summer music (maya gold)
Tubular bells 3 is icecold november music (bare trees  ;) )
Tubular bells 2003 is 100% summer music, thanks to the introduction version and video!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 19 2006, 17:02

Er sorry for being so late in to this but..... TubbyMan!!

How can you get a shadow from the moon in Norway in summer - the Sun never goes down!!??

:D  Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 17:49

The NUMBER ONE summer album ever made is called 'Five Miles Out'.

'Taurus II' is for me the essence of summer. Fun, lighthearted, joyful and positive. Very warm and changing.

Other summer albums:

Discovery, Tres Lunas, Amarok, Heaven's Open, Tubular Bells 2003.

Winter albums:

Tubular Bells II, Millennium Bell, Crises, Songs of Distant Earth, Islands, Guitars.

Spring albums:

Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, The Complete, Platinum.

Autumn albums:

Incantations, QE2, The Killing Fields, Voyager, Earth Moving, Tubular Bells III, Light and Shade, Ommadawn.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 03:28

I consider Ommadawn Autumnal and QE2 Summery.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
23 replies since May 05 2005, 21:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net