Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer fun in  the sun mo style, Which mo songs remind you of summer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 14 2009, 05:59

Quote (smillsoid @ May 06 2009, 19:59)
It's a summer's day set to music.

Love that description! Must listen to Aerial again.

I'll need to ponder a bit more about songs that make me feel summery. One that comes to mind is "Talking loud and clear" by OMD.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2009, 08:28

No-one's mentioned the West section from Four Winds on Guitars.It really reminds me of long lazy days spent in South Devon with my family when i was a kid.
 Oddly enough i love Bob Marley and i can only listen to his stuff in the Summer.Doesn't work for me in winter at all.
 And Leige and Leif by Fairport has a nice Summer feel (and since i'm going to the Cropredy festival this year i will be listening to it constantly for the weeks leading up to it).

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 09:49

Good list there Dirk as usual :o> (need some links).

"Aerial" - I don't know? Probably too heavy or dense for me - or over-produced for summer.  

Now this IS summer pop pickers - sensational! Weird video though: -

Empire of the Sun - We are People

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 06:10

Cheers for the request Wiga.Here`s a few links to a number of tracks from some of those albums I listed....

Virginia Astley...With My Eyes Wide Open I`m Dreaming

Saint Etienne...Marble Lions & Former Lover

Eels...I Like Birds

Air...All I Need

The Lilac Time...Trumpets From Montparnasse

Penguin Cafe Orchestra...Silver Star Of Bologna

XTC...Summer`s Cauldron

The High Llamas...Sparkle Up

The Kinks...Village Green

The Stranglers...Midnight Summer Dream

The Byrds...8 Miles High

Cosmic Rough Riders...Baby You`re So Free
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 15 2009, 22:32

:cool: how about bob seger, hollywood nights, we got tonight, and twisting by the pool by dire straits, mikes song foreign affair, deb
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 02:46

Quote (smillsoid @ May 06 2009, 01:25)
And yet Brian Wilson had very little sunshine in his life when he wrote those songs.

Yep indeed, which makes them more amazing. I would have to list my favourite Beach Boys songs as 3)Heroes And Villains, 2)  Good Vibrations and 1) God Only Knows.

Other summer songs include Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls, yes I kknow the lyrics may be a bit cheesey, but it's one of those feel good summer songs.

Pieces by Mike with a summer feel include Hergest Ridge, Parts of Tubular Bells, and Moonlight Shadow   :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 05:29

Dirk: Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where we Feel Secure - that's a beautiful little tune!

Come to think of it though I do like bird sounds  - Mike's birds in Tubular Bells III and Kate's birds in Aerial and Sensual World.

What it is about Aerial that misses the mark for me in terms of summer though; -  probably that she over-eggs it, overstates how happy she is, what a lovely day it is, how wonderful motherhood is, and how wonderful children are. The message starts to feel kind of contrived, and then lacks that airy purity and spontaneity that 'summer' is.....

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 06:33

Quote (wiga @ May 16 2009, 10:29)

Dirk: Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where we Feel Secure - that's a beautiful little tune!

Outside of Mike Oldfield`s own body of work.From Gardens Where We Feel Secure is the closest album I`ve heard to invoke in me some of the same emotions and imagery as Hergest Ridge.An album of beauty & lost beauty,which is often equaly compeling as it is haunting.Or borderline dark and disturbing even.It`s certainly well worth checking out imo.

On a lighter note,here`s a couple of "holiday type" hits I like..

Squeeze...Pulling Mussels (From A Shell)

All Saints...Pure Shores
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 08:53

"MAN IN THE RAIN" at the Moment yeah it reminds me of a typical British Summer  .. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 14:41

What do you call a man with a seagull on his head?

- Cliff -

Cliff Richard - Summer Holiday

It's the way I tell 'em :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 17 2009, 17:04

I must confess I used to have a bit of a crush on Una Stubbs....And she`s not even in that clip!..Man what a rip.   :p

Saw Cliff at Wimbledon today "celebrating" the new roof..He did`nt look best pleased.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 04:10

Well when else is he going to get a captive audience?When he did the "let's do the show right here" thing at Wimbledon it must go down as one of the cheesiest things ever to happen on centre court.You could almost see him going "shall i,shan't i,shall i......oh to hell with it!".But the man is as big a British institution as Wimbledon itself (with attendant rain)so it was kind of fitting.
 Summer In The City and Daydream by the Loving Spoonfull,while we're on the subject of cheesiness,would have to be obvious candidates for perfect summer tunes.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 19 2009, 06:26

Summer Ambience (by the sea) combining rumba dance and footwork...

Sub Sub - Past (Ring of Kerry)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 02 2009, 09:13

In the UK we've been having a belter heatwave and 70% humidity - brilliant!

Enjoying Roxy Music - lyrics included here.

Roxy Music - Avalon

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 02 2009, 11:21

Isn't it wonderful.Shame i'm stuck in the office but nearly the weekend!
  Been listening to summery stuff.Perfect summer tune without being cheesy would be Albatross.So serene and so summer evening.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 03 2009, 05:06

The heat & humidity are making conditions where I work almost unbearable(I work in a factory making sweets)Plus it`s also having a detrimental effect on the product as per bloody usual.You`d think by now they`d have learned some lessons,given that we`ve been open since Elvis Presley first appeared on the scene.Yeah that`s right folks,there wasn`t even a frickin "scene" to appear on till he showed up,that`s how long ago it was for Gawd`s sakes.Top Brass are away though looking at some "air-con" options..No doubt nothing will happen though,and we`ll be plodding-on like this for another 25 years or so..

It used to be you could cool off a little in the locker room for a while.But because they got absolutely fed-up to the back teeth of people having a crafty smoke in there,and flicking their dumpers out onto the roof..They`ve nailed the bloody windows shut.Ideal for growing tomatos,but not so great when you`ve got a load of sweaty blokes in there getting ready for work.Why in heavens name did this country ban "smoking rooms"?Oh rather what I should say is:Why did they move all of the perfectly fine "smoking rooms" into the toilets??We`re only allowed out once per night for a smoke break.But this week there`s been a large number of people coming outside who`ve never even smoked once in their entire lives..Can`t say I blame them.

Anyway funnily enough I was thinking of posting in this thread earlier in the week to mention a couple of new albums for this summer.First up is Graham Coxon The Spinning Top

I`ve had this album on heavy rotation for a good few weeks now,and I`m nowhere near getting tired of it yet.Kind of Syd Barrett,Kind Of Nick Drake,and pretty much kind of semi-acoustic Blur I suppose.Great to see them back together at Glastonbury at the weekend,fantastic!..Anyway lots of finely played shimmering acoustic guitar riffs a bundle on this album.There`s even a kind of "raga" section with added birdsong during the glorious 8 plus minutes of In The Morning.It`s a really well crafted "old-style" solo album in a way,but with a definate view to the modern as well.You kind of half expect to read the words "Witchseason" or "Joe Boyd" in the album credits while listening.But then Coxon will often turn the whole thing on it`s head every now and then as he goes into ramshackle Nirvana mode or something.There are a lot of White Album influences here for me as well.Coxon has recorded three great solo albums since he left Blur,but this is the pick of the bunch for me.I was never too thrilled with his other solo material while he was still in the band I must add.Also it has to be said Coxon`s overtly "thin" voice can sometimes grate a little.But then after a while you can`t help but give in to the charm of it.

Secondly is the forthcoming(next week I think) album from The Duckworth Lewis Method..

Duckworth Lewis Method as well as being a ridiculous way of deciding rain interrupted cricket matches.Is also the name of a Cricket loving band featuring Thomas Walsh of Pugwash and Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy.Two of my favourite bands from the last ten-fifteen years or so.What a brilliant combination.Anyway it`s a concept album about Cricket of all things,how much more "summery" can you get?.."Aaaah the faint sound of leather upon willow and people softly snoring underneath ridiculously over-sized newspapers"..Imo though you don`t even have to like cricket to like this album(from the five/six songs I`ve heard)..It`s just a brilliant,brilliant tune-stonker of an album..Anyway rather than try to fight your way through my lack of cohesive sentance construction,there`s a cracking good review of it   here Can`t say I`ve looked forward to an album as much as this in a long while...Bring on the lemonade.
Profile PM 
35 replies since April 17 2009, 03:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net