Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Summer fun in  the sun mo style, Which mo songs remind you of summer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2009, 03:59

:) post your fave summer fun songs,especially mo tunes, deb
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 17 2009, 06:46

I´m not sure it´s only related to "summer" ...but summer makes me think of something positive and even though the lyrics are sad, I really like Crime Of Passion and To France for the music itself..
I often notices myself singing along when I ride my scooter and listen to this.  (thank god I´m wearing a helmet)

Sailors Hornpipe too makes me positive and Taurus III I think have some spanish guitar in it.

Crises (song, not album) especially the 2nd. half beginning at 09.58 just makes me happy and dreamy..
snow or sun - I dont´care..some of MO´s music just put a very big smile on my face and I suspect, that when listening on my mp3 player people think I´m retarded going along humming and smiling   :D
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 06:54

:cool: Summer = sun = farniente = in the pool ! I really like this track ! ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 04 2009, 19:09

Quote (Tubular Tos @ April 17 2009, 12:54)
:cool: Summer = sun = farniente = in the pool ! I really like this track ! ;)

Ditto, that's what I was going to say.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 04 2009, 20:39

:p the re release of tb will truly be the summer of the bell! thats a tacky post! lovin it! deb
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 05 2009, 16:00

I think that "Cuckoo Song" and all of the other folky pieces featuring Les Penning on recorder are particularily sunny. (We have a folk song here in Italy, which says that April and Winter are over when the cuckoo sings.) I'm also including "In Dulci Jubilo" among these, although it's of course a Christmas song, and "Blue Peter", athough the main instrument there is a synth and not a recorder - but wasn't it the 'flageolet' setting? :)

Apart from Mike O., my big 'summer' favourites are of course the Beach Boys. Most of what they did, all through their career, just has a strong smell of summer and sunshine.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 05 2009, 21:25

And yet Brian Wilson had very little sunshine in his life when he wrote those songs.  Summer music?  Goldfrapp's "Seventh Tree", Bjork's "Debut" & Kate Bush's "Aerial (disc 2)"!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 05 2009, 23:05

Quote (Ugo @ May 05 2009, 16:00)
I think that "Cuckoo Song" and all of the other folky pieces featuring Les Penning on recorder are particularily sunny. (We have a folk song here in Italy, which says that April and Winter are over when the cuckoo sings.) I'm also including "In Dulci Jubi

:cool: ugo you are so lucky to live in italy, esp in spring! love the beach boys, jan@dean,boys of summer, cant remember his name! its chilly here but music creates sunny memories, roll on september, deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 05 2009, 23:11

Quote (smillsoid @ May 05 2009, 21:25)
And yet Brian Wilson had very little sunshine in his life when he wrote those songs. Summer music? Goldfrapp's "Seventh Tree", Bjork's "Debut" & Kate Bush's "Aerial (disc 2)"!

:D kate bush yes!,and this may sound crass, but elvis presly and buddy holly, loved it when i was young, deb
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 06 2009, 06:29

@ Deb: agree on Buddy Holly, "Maybe Baby" is such a happy sunshine song. "Boys of Summer" is by former Eagle (at the time) and current Eagle (right now) Don Henley. About the Italian cuckoo song I quoted, its lyrics go a little bit like this: "Winter is over, April is gone, May is back with the cuckoo's song." And then it goes "cuckoo, cuckoo" and repeats the whole thing. :D

@ smillsoid: Sure Brian Wilson's life was very much troubled - I do know about it - but as the great writer that he was [and still is... listen to That Lucky Old Sun! :)] he almost never let that show in his songs. Regarding Aerial, it's been quite a while since I last listened to it so I think it deserves another spin. But it always sounded to me like a very difficult, dense album - not at all a 'summery' one. But of course your feelings about it may differ widely from mine.

@ prisoner: sorry for the silly question, but just out of curiosity I'd like to know what kind of helmet do you wear on your scooter. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: May 06 2009, 09:12

Here Comes the Sun -  Beatles or Cockney Rebel
Mr Blue Sky            -   ELO
Its a Lovely Day      -   Maggie Reilly
Good Vibrations       -   Brian Wilson or Beach Boys version
Over the Summer     -   Sparks
Flying Start            - M. Oldfield.. though I dont think hes written one purposely   ..  "Summer Theme song""..
SummerTime City     -   Abba...

All those are Cheery little Numbers.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 06 2009, 09:49

Woodstock-Matthews Southern Comfort version.Has that balmy summer evening feel to me.
Anthing from Jethro Tull's Songs From The Woods (except Solstice Bells which is about Winter Solstice)
And from Mike Taurus 3.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 06 2009, 11:16

Quote (Ugo @ May 06 2009, 12:29)
@ prisoner: sorry for the silly question, but just out of curiosity I'd like to know what kind of helmet do you wear on your scooter. ;)

Daytona Skull Cap Motorcycle Helmet  (black)

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=652

:cool:
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 06 2009, 14:45

I'm not into happy, cheek-swelling music. I like music to be a barren, arrid wasteland of depression(no, I'm not into metal, too old for that, my high school heyday was about the time of Van Halen's Debut album, when I was a sophmore). I guess I gravitated to MO circa 1973 forward......because of it's bleak nature. I've used the word "bleak" too much on here. Bleak emplies empty. Mike's music was never empty up until about 2005. It was "full".  It filled me with "something" I  have just identified after 35 years. And thank you for all your posts/comments esp. newcomer Smillsoid.  More than Genesis, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Renaissance or anybody else. Funny, no American bands. British art-rock bands were always at the top of my musical priority. USA artists like Steely Dan were just as brilliant as MO but in a different way. Steely Dan, no question, is in my top 5 list. But they did not EVOKE the same feeling the guitar solos in "Ommadawn" did. Why? I finally figured out why.....after a quarter of a century I figured out WHY. I never read Changeling but there's so much of it online.....then there is your comments. It took over a year but Deb Seward and Smillsoid came along and hit that nail on the head. -ANXIETY-..........anxiety. TB1, HR, Ommadawn, Incantations......all full of -ANXIETY-. After that MO took the exegenesis(sp) therapy you all have written so much about. I had a benign brain tumor in that magic year 1973. Well, I had it since 1971 but until '73 only a civilian opthalmologist identified it and sent me to the best neurosurgeon of the time. Prior I was mis-diagnosed by dumb Air Force doctors of the early '70's. "He should wear a shirt when he sleeps". This mis-diagnosis coming from a child with headaches that blacked him out, intermittent blindness and frequent visual impairment, vomiting, but the biggie was walking into walls. My equilibrium was so impaired by the tumor growing in my cerebellum(equilibruim and co-ordination part of the brain) that I continually walked sideways until I hit the wall. I think it was the left side, I've spent 33 years trying to forget. The tests once in the hospital in 1973 were EXACTLY as you see in the Exorcist when Linda Blair was being tested. BANG-CLANG machines swirling around. The CAT(computerized axial tomography) scanner was not to come out for 2 more years which was a fantastic development. Yet I was in 1973, to qoute Star Trek, in the hands of "Stone knives and bearskins". I survived to discover MO after the loss of 50cc of cerebellum. Anxiety was a symptom I "endure" today at age 48. I've taken enough Xanax in the years to fill a warehouse. Mike's first few albums are "fused" into my altered engrams. He had an anxiety disorder too, the music shows that. I really cant imagine a life without those albums. That's what it is....MO was writing music while having anxiety attacks. I did music years later(while in front of myriads of wires, MIDI cables, patch cords all over the room)that, while playing it and recording it, was so overwhelming, I reached anxiety attack level. No wonder so much simple blues and pop in the last 20  years, no matter how simple and childish it's writing/recording is, it evokes no emotion at all(at least in me, but it sells because it is -EASY- to listen to). Exceptions being The Division Bell etc. by old heroes. There is no impulse to it. Even Joe Satriani or post-90's Pat Metheny won't do it. I think I found what I came here(tubular.net) for. I found my answers to very old questions with your stories. Why Mike Oldfield? Now I know why. I will cherish those albums forever. Take care Tubes......
Jimbo
PS: Yeah I called you Tubes. A once agreed upon name for you/us Tubularians. Wanna go for it? Uh huh....I'm ready....Let's rumble!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: May 06 2009, 14:59

Yes, Ugo, disc 1 of Kate Bush's "Aerial" is dense and dark, dealing with her mother's death, her anxieties about how the world perceives her etc. - But disc 2 is a different world entirely.  It's a summer's day set to music.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 07 2009, 16:44

@ prisoner: that's what my friends here call the "soldier helmet". Here it's mostly worn by 16-year-old kids. Mine is much bigger and very different, but what the heck. :D

@ smillsoid: as I said, it's a fairly long time since I last heard Aerial, and I seem to remember all of it as quite dark. It definitely deserves another listening. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 08 2009, 00:46

Quote (Ugo @ May 07 2009, 22:44)
@ prisoner: that's what my friends here call the "soldier helmet". Here it's mostly worn by 16-year-old kids. Mine is much bigger and very different, but what the heck. :D

Yeah I know, I know  :D

but it is the only size to fit in my shallow room under the seat  :p
wiga Offline

Posted: May 08 2009, 08:55

The Summer of '76 was a good year for summer songs: -

Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
Harvest for the world - The Isley Brothers
Moonlight Feels Right - Starbuck
You are my Love - Liverpool Express
Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

ECT...

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 08 2009, 09:33

Some songs on Sigur Rós's latest album, which I won't bother writing the full title of :D, sound very summery to me... especially the two songs whose titles, combined, make up the album's title, which, again, I won't write here. On their own forum, people complained about those songs sounding chirpy and cheap... to me, they don't.

@ prisoner (off topic again): I see. Well, when I bought my Vespa, which is just two years ago, I knew from the start that there was very little room under the seat for a 'regular', full-size motorcycle helmet to fit into it. So I bought this one knowing that I'd always have to carry it with me. Which I do, of course. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 05:44

Funnily enough I think most of Mike`s albums tend to remind me of just about every season except summer.Although that said I do tend to associate a lot of Mike`s earlier albums with the summer anyway,as that was when I spent a lot of my early teenage years listening to them.Topping up my white & pastey dis-affected complection,locked up in me sad hole..    :p There are certainly sections of music in both Hergest Ridge & Ommadawn though that invoke in me memories of childhood summers long since passed and out of reach I guess.Difficult to describe a lot of the conflicting & overwhelming emotions I can get from that sometimes.And whether my own personal bias or not,I do kind of wonder sometimes what "emotional season" they were composed in I suppose?But then summer is`nt always a happy time is it?...Bloody hell man cheer up Dirk yer miserable git!...

Mmmm I think maybe Five Miles Out is possibly Mike`s most summery album for me.Along with things like Jungle Gardenia,Foriegn Affair,Taurus 3(good call Caveman,agree with Songs From The Wood as well) Oh and Sunset or Song Of The Sun of course.

Here are a few of my own favourite summery type albums.Usualy take a few of these with me for the car when I`m off on me jollybobs...

Virginia Astley... From Gardens Where We Feel Secure
The Beatles... Abbey Road
Saint Etienne...Tiger Bay
XTC...Skylarking
The High Llamas...Hawaii
America..Hat Trick
The Stranglers...Feline
Neil Young....Comes A Time or Zuma
The Lilac Time...The Lilac Time
Penguin Cafe Orchestra...Penguin Cafe Orchestra
E.L.O...Out Of The Blue
Eels..Daisies Of The Galaxy
Cosmic Rough Riders..Enjoy The Melodic Sunshine
Jellyfish..Bellybutton
The Kinks...Village Green Preservation Society
The Byrds...Fifth Dimension
Air...Moon Safari
Profile PM 
35 replies since April 17 2009, 03:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net