[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Subtitles for Knebworth Video< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
adler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 14 2006, 16:04

Hi,

I have a copy of the Essential Video (Knebworth Festival) in DVD. But I'll like to put subtitles on all Mike's interview so it would be easy to me to follow it :)

Can anyone help me to type the interview, since Mike's accent is very strong and I can't understand some parts of it ?

Thanks for any help !!
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2006, 19:21

Think mines has already got subtitles on it. not sure tho. my mate sent me it he said its from japan or somewhere. probably why its got subtitles. hmm need to check now.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2006, 14:48

Yes, please!

Although I have no problems with written english, it's hard for me to get the spoken english. Too much time reading and writing and too few listening and speaking...

If yours has subtitles, it'd be easy to rip them ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2006, 18:47

Hi,

Any help ?

Thanks
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2006, 10:56

Quote (adler @ Aug. 17 2006, 18:47)
Hi,

Any help ?

Thanks

What is it your looking for? is it english subtitles?

--------------
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2006, 11:25

Yes !
Just that  :)
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2006, 20:31

Ah sorry just checked my dvd and its actualyl japanese subtitles sorry.

--------------
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2006, 21:11

Quote (glasgow_tubular @ Aug. 19 2006, 02:31)

No way then.

Is there at least a transcription of that interview anywhere?

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2006, 11:04

Quote (Wayfarer @ Aug. 18 2006, 21:11)
Quote (glasgow_tubular @ Aug. 19 2006, 02:31)

No way then.

Is there at least a transcription of that interview anywhere?

-- Wayfarer

Hmm not sure its mike talking in english obv but with japanese subtitles. My mate sent me it i dont even know where he got it from ill find out from him about a transcript. It should probably be on the net somewhere i imagine.

--------------
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2006, 15:15

Again,  :)

Any help ?
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2006, 15:34

You won't believe me, but I've got a Korean edition with the Japanese subtitles always visible, so you can see both at the same time on screen, if you choose Korean subtitles too!!!!! I'm afraid it won't help you.... :(  ;)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 05 2007, 14:31

Have you got this yet? If not I'll transcribe for you

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: June 05 2007, 18:19

Not yet  :(

I'll be very grateful if you transcribe the subtitles.

Thanks,

Roberto
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 04:47

opening scene:

"I'm really quite a simple musician I can't play all the chords and millions of scales but I really love and enjoy playing every note, even just one chord, I feel it see.

"I would say a mark of a good musician is if you can play one note and mean it that's better than being able to play zillions of scales and not mean it.

"The first piece is called 'Guilty' and uhhh..and my fourth album which was called 'Incantations' was all based around one chord which was sort of like this..(plays a chord and scale on his guitar)..and I wanted to do an uptempo piece of music using that chord, that it was traditional bass, drums, guitar, piano, a rhythm section but using more interesting chords to base it on rather than the usual sorts of formulas people use to do that sort of music"

plays along to opening bars of 'Guilty'

second interview segway:

"I started off in music playing acoustic guitar like this and fingerpicking...(plays acoustic fingerpick style)..fingerpicking, and I developed that style with my nails and I continued that over to electric. Well I best show you on the electric really.

"There's certain sections where I need to have a pick to play along..(strums electric)..see? Than I quickly have to put the pick up to my mouth like that..(puts pick in mouth)..so when I use the sustain sound, because I have to stop every string that's not being sounded otherwise it makes this sort of 'chchkreoww' noise and so I pick it like a classical guitar... (demonstrates pick style)...and rather stopping them here and with my nails there...(shows points over pickups and bridge on guitar)...I'll stop it up here somehow...(further plucked electric guitar)...you see all the others have stopped....I can do it with any guitar.

"Well the begining of Tubular Bells is like a formula..(plays opening riff)..it's sort of you're just hammering between one string and another but I did it on piano and that formula has been ripped off so often by films and tv and tv commercials that I thought well, I'd rip myself off and start doing some different ones so I thought of a different one, hammering thing, it's almost the same it goes...(plays riff)...instead of...(plays riff)...and..uh..so I put that in just to make it a bit, give it a bit of variation, I mean there's zillions of different ones you can think of, could be...(improvises riff)...they could go on endlessly"

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 05:24

Third section:

"Well at Knebworth we started with just acoustic guitar. It was very nice because a lot of it was very loud and had drums and bass and all sorts of stuff going on, it was nice to come down quiet and have an acoustic bit and uh, you know, I was very worried that it wouldn't work but it did work even in really big places and it actually listened...(plays opening riff of Tubualr Bells part 2)...for the days when I wrote it, it was quite experimental for me, it had sort of all strange um...major 7th chords and things, more jazz type chords...(plays some more)...and then into a very simple folk melody and then after that nicko and the voices come in and do this sort of very romantic manolin type guitar bit and then we go into a guitar solo which um has got this figure...(plays chord progression)...that's a sequence of chords that I've had for ages that I like soloing on playing just anything I feel like so it's complete, that's about the only part in the concert where I actaully improvise and I make it up as I go along then we finish up with the sailor's hornpipe and we all jump up and down"...(Tubular Bells part 2 starts)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 05:55

Fourth section (Ommadawn)

"Well it begins with a round of voices which is a very simple folk tune...(plays acoustic guitar)...it's just like a sort of nursery rhyme tune but if you do it in round form with four voices it's nice, it sounds nice and it was a real accident that I discovered that so... much of it is accident. Also with Ommadawn I get really sort of disappointed the way that bass and drums instantly categorise everything that they're used on into a certain format and so with Ommadawn I thought I'd experiment with other sorts of percussion. I've got a load of percussion instrument group called Jabula to play african drums, great big, lovely, carved drums. I spent a whole day with them finding out what they did and, uh, ended up with an african drum riff at the end of Ommadawn and I used that for a whole thing and built it round that. But it turned into a very emotional thing for me 'cos I was like at a crossroads in my life and I was living miles out in the country and since that time I've gradually become more involved with people and co-operating and I live near London now and I'm very invovled with working with other people but Ommadawn was done really in a vacuum on my own. It was very emotional, infact the very end of side one of Ommadawn is probably my piece I'm most satisfied about, with what I wanted to do I did it as well as I have done anything. I'm not saying it's the best thing I've done but as far as my intention in a certain direction, it was the most efficient realisation of what I wanted"...(part one of ommadwn starts)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 06:04

End scene:

"You know a big festival like that was very, it was almost medievil or prehistoric in character. Everybody gets together and just does something, it just happens to be music, you know so...I don't see it as..as..I mean the whole festival is like a piece of music or a painting it's just a different celebration of probably the same thing:the fact that we're, most of us are quite glad to be alive, glad to be here....(end!;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 09:21

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 06 2007, 05:24)
"and then after that nicko and the voices come in"

I think he's speaking about Nico Ramsden (actually speaking about the Knebworth performance isn't it ?) so it should be written :
'and then after that Nico and the voices..'

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 06 2007, 17:16

Yes, indeed you are correct. Do I get away without detention?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 11:39

Thanks a lot for the transcription  :)

I´ll insert the subtitles in a .srt file with all the timing codes with a software called Subtitle Workshop.
When I finish I´ll dispose it for everyone.

Roberto
Profile PM 
22 replies since July 14 2006, 16:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net