[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: styles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 03 2000, 19:56

I think the whole world is going the wrong
way when you start about music!

Everybody is indeed following eachother like
sheeps. Look at The Netherlands, where I live. First there was house. Suddenly everybody liked it! They were indeed following eachother like sheep.

Next came hard core. It made me sick. Again, everybody loved it! Yecch! frown

Now it is punk and dance! You can see how fast everybody changes then. Everybody throws the older jeans away, and takes punk clothes!

Mike is going with the music generation too. If he had never gone to Ibiza, and meet those stupid DJ's, he hadn't probably been doing dance like songs. I wish he would get back to his old style. Like early 80's. QE2, Five Miles Out were lovely! But also styles like the 70's.

I am in a band, and were are doing 60's and 70's stuff. Were are turning against the modern music.

Blue Dolphin

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 04 2000, 07:09

I also like Mikes guitar style of the early eighties. However it is doubtfull that he will ever be able to play as well as that ever again. That precision technique was formed over the 5 years of constant touring.

You never forget how to ride a bike but you sure can get a little out of shape. =)

Happy New Year to you all

Tom (Melrose)

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 04 2000, 23:04

Mike can still play as well as ever, I had the fortune of watching him play at the birmingham NEC in the summer of '99, his performances of 'Let there be light' and 'Ommadawn' are still firmly lodged in my mind now, pure brilliance, and the drummer he had on tour with him (i forget the name now frown ) Was, to put it simply, fantastic.

Things change, you get bored of playing the same style of music over and over again. playing the guitar myself i started playing heavy metal style tunes, then moved on to blues solo work, and am now experimenting mixing different styles together. I can still play other pieces as well as i could in the past (this isn't a lack of modesty, i just know what i'm technically capable of) but they just dont interest me anymore and would rather keep exploring. Music is too much of a wonderful thing to keep yourself stuck in a rut doing the same stuff all the time.
KingOfScarecrows Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2000, 01:20

I must say, I have been an Oldfield fan for many years now, and I am as disheartened by the direction of his own music, as that of music in general. His music has always provided me with an alternative to the corporate money-making crap that gets released by so many others. Every decade has its various styles of music that get copied and run into the ground, yet I could always look forward to a new Oldfield release and know that I would hear something new and different with each one. But no longer. While TSODE and Voyager really surprised me (ok - and Guitars too) I find myself wondering how many Tubular Bells sequels I'm going to have to sort through before I find something worth listening to. And "Moonlight Shadow" was already done once, and very nicely. I think the formula can be disposed of at this point.
I still think of Mike Oldfield as the most talented and creative artist of this century, but things are getting stale. I'm hoping he'll take a risk and follow his own advice - I know he's got it in him. His own long career proves that.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2000, 15:14

Personally, I like the direction of Mike's music. I've been a fan for some 4 years, and I have yet to find a truly bad album. I like his works of both old(TB, Discovery, etc) and new(TB2+3, TMB,...).

He's not conforming to whatever everyone else is doing now. He's adding new ideas and styles to what he's already done. IMHO, he could make Tubular Bells 4, 5 and 6, and they'd all be great(personally, but possibily not commercially).

It upsets me that there is no music genre called "Oldfield." CDnow has his albums listed as: "pop," "rock," "nuage" etc... You can't put this guy in a catagory; he's in one all his own.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 03 2000, 19:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net