Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: strings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
szolnokilaci Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 28 2001, 15:53

does anyone know what kind of strings does Mike use? (thickness, material, brand)
thx,
Laci
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 28 2001, 16:16

For electric guitars, I believe Mike generally uses 9 - 42 gauge strings. I don't know about material, other than them being steel (not like Brian May's gold ones for example) and round wound (probably with nickel), and I would think he's probably not using the same brand as he did in the 70s (I forget what he was using then anyway, but did know once). My personal choice is D'Addario, if that's any help as a recommendation - I find they tend to last a fair amount of time, and the quality is consistent. I also remember trying Fender strings and finding them alright. Ernie Balls are popular as well.

Acoustics may be a little harder...I know that he has used 11 (I believe the standard 11 - 52) gauge acoustic strings before now (those would be with bronze wound strings), but he may have some guitars which are strung with heavier ones. It certainly sounds to me like a lot of the acoustic work on Amarok is played on guitars with relatively light gauge strings.

I hope that is some help to you smile
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2001, 05:34

Mike used to use Fender Rock 'N' Roll Strings, but I don't think that Fender still make them, or have changed the name. He normally uses 8's on most guitars, but 9's on his red Strat to get a clangier tone. I'll find out more by re-reading one of my articles about him - so I can give you more info! I can't remember, and I like to get the details exactly right!
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2001, 05:14

Guitar Player interview '79 - Mike used Fender extra light Rock And Roll strings on Electrics guitars, Guild Light for Acoustics, Savarez bottom strings and Augustine high strs. for Classical guitars, Gibson Medium for the Gibson EB3 Bass and Rotosound Light for the Fender Precision and Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Acoustic Music Dec'80/Jan '81. Mike said he used Rotosound Swing Bass for the Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Guitarist Sept '84. Mike said that on Electrics he used .08 to .038 (didn't say which make) on his Strats and Les Paul TV, a slightly heavier gauge strings for the red Strat (didn't say which make or gauge), Guild Light for Acoustic and 12 string guitars, and Rotosound Swing Bass for Bass Guitar.
Profile PM 
szolnokilaci Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2001, 09:10

thanks for the valuable info, guys, I appreciate that!
:-)
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since July 28 2001, 15:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net