Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Steve Farrell's analysis< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2000, 22:18

http://tubular.net/amarok/

Comprehensive analysis of Amarok by Steve Farrell.

We plan to add scores of the main themes (A, B, C, etc.). Help is welcome... Maybe screenshots from MIDI files?
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2000, 19:09

Hooray!!

A new post in the Amarok forum!

I noticed in Steve's analysis there are some new suggestions to things you can hear which go against what other fans say. In the mad-bit section you mentioned a voice that says "I am busy" wheras the Amarok player sectionlist has this listed as "I see". In the beginning fast-riff section you suggest there is a male vocoded voice whereas in the sectionlist later on before the roses reprise bit the same instrument occurs and it refers to it as a vox organ

Still it's very good an comprehensive, Steve.

I'll try and see if I can write any scores for the themes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2000, 20:38

Two side-notes on 2distortedguitars's message...

1) The voice does really say "I'm a bit busy". The Amarok Player Tracklist is wrong [I told this to Göran, still no answer, hope he has fixed it in the latest version, v.1.08... smile] and Steve, of course, is right.

2) I also think Steve is right about the vocoder bit before Big Roses...2distorted, are you sure you've read the analysis carefully? NO Vox organ is mentioned there, but a "low synth" (vocoder?)" replacing the choir. It IS a vocoder, though (IMHO) not the same voice as in the Fast Riff.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 27 2000, 16:55

Olivier: Steve's analysis comes to the conclusion that Amarok is made from 8 themes (A to H). I think I can tell what they are. But which format do you want them in? Please tell me, and I'll send them.
-Carsten-
P.S. I suggest scans of leadsheets.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 27 2000, 18:24

Scans are OK, yes. You can send them to Steve too, so he can "approve" them.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2000, 14:33

I will. I start working on it now.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2000, 18:12

I sent a MIDI of all 8 themes to Steve, and I'm waiting for his reaction.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 15:13

Hullo there.

Sorry I've taken half a year to respond about this.
I will have a MIDIfile of the (correct) basic themes available by next weekend at the latest. Someone with something like Cakewalk or Cubase Score can then load in the file and open it in the 'score' editor, and use that to scan and print on the page.

Steve
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 15:16

Cubase is O.K. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 17 2002, 05:01

his analysis is extremly detailed. it has almost every instrument covered. its wicked.

i would love one on them for platinum, but that would be asking for too much. mabye tubular bells would be a more realistic suggestion.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 18 2002, 03:34

The analysis rocks, but it dosen't seem to have much on Fast Waltz. The guitar solo at 22:30 is prehaps too hard to put into midi, but I'd love to see someone try it. Other than that, it rocks!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Shingebis Offline

Posted: May 19 2002, 01:55

OK, I've had a go at a midi of the Fast Waltz, and here it is: http://www.zxdemo.org/extra/fastwaltz.mid

At first I thought I could just copy down the guitar solo, but then I realised it was actually two guitars, and one of them ends up mingling with the bass, and... well, I ended up writing out the complete arrangement. It just goes to show that everything in Amarok is interlinked, and if you take anything out it just falls apart!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 06:17

That's a cool MIDI. I can imagine how hard it would be to play that fast. I would love to see Mike play that bit live. I wonder if he still can...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 02:24

Thanks to Steve Farrell for this detailed analysis. It's been very handy for some of my listening sessions.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
13 replies since Aug. 27 2000, 22:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net