Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Spot the Tubularisms< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 23:07

I recall seeing someone, somewhere, referring to Music of the Spheres as 'Tubular Bells IV'. Having listened to MOTS repeatedly, I've only detected a couple of 'Tubularisms'.

1) "Harbinger" is reminiscent of TB's opening theme.

2) "Musica Universalis" has a structure similar to TB's part one finale.

Are there others?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 01:47

Harbinger Reprise! ;)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 06:09

The first times I heard it, I seemed to trace a few parallels between the structure of Music of the Spheres and Tubular Bells III. Just the overall structure, though, because I don't despise Music of the Spheres... anyway:

Harbinger -> Source of Secrets (of course)
The Tempest -> Outcast (most agitated moment in the album)
On My Heart -> Man in the Rain (song with vocals)
Aurora -> Top of the Morning (uplifting part II introduction)
Musica Universalis -> Far Above the Clouds (though more related to The Bell, with secondary theme at the very end)

That doesn't really mean much, though. I don't think Mike started reusing structures recently, after all: Ommadawn part I is also pretty much a recycling of Tubular Bells part I, structure wise. It's not something to get worked up about.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 06:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 12 2007, 12:09)
On My Heart -> Man in the Rain (song with vocals)

that song remians me of tears of an angel really.. Specially the opening theme.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 19:38

I think that the use of a choir with invented/meaningless vocals is also very TB-ish, or generally Oldfield-ish. TB and TB II feature a meaningless vocal song (Piltdown Man = Altered State);  HR and Ommadawn feature choirs singing meaningless words. I think that, for instance, the way the words from the Requiem prayer ("Requiem eternam dona eis") are deprived of their true meaning and used as pure sounds, in some points of MotS, is very typically Oldfield-ish: it's Oldfield doing Karl Jenkins in an Oldfield style. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2007, 05:11

I feel Aurora sounds very QE2-ish, and wouldn't have been at all out of place on that album - even with the very same arrangement.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2007, 05:59

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 01 2007, 07:11)
I feel Aurora sounds very QE2-ish, and wouldn't have been at all out of place on that album - even with the very same arrangement.

I think that it reminds me of Incantations Part III really...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2007, 06:10

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Dec. 01 2007, 11:59)
Quote (Holger @ Dec. 01 2007, 07:11)

I think that it reminds me of Incantations Part III really...

Well yes, that, too. The second disc of Incantations and QE2 have a lot in common anyway, I think.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Nov. 11 2007, 23:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net