Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Spooky Coincidence...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 12:49

You might find this interesting, or not... (most likely not!;)

This morning, after reading some of the comments on this board, looking whistfully at my cassette copy of Crises; a piece of music I'd not even thought about for months or years; cursing all the local music stores for not selling some of Mike's less well-known CDs, and wondering if I'd have to go online to find a copy on CD, I popped into town to meet a friend...

After our coffee, and aware that I had a while to wait for the bus, I had a wander round our local Oxfam... and there staring at me from their CD rack... a copy of Crises on CD... dirt cheap!

Needless to say, I'm dead chuffed!!  :D

Anyway... boring post over - you can go back to debating Mikes use of nutcrackers in his other records, or whatever it is you good people do...

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 13:53

Great story - thanks for sharing.  What kind of store is Oxfam?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 14:04

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Mar. 07 2006, 18:53)
What kind of store is Oxfam?

Charity shop :)

You give them things to sell, things that you don't want but are in a decent condition, and they sell it. The money they get goes to charity (volunteers ensure that this means 100% profit on all items sold) :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 16:34

I've noticed that the Crises Virgin HDCD is extremely hard to come by, even in stores that stock a lot of Mike's other albums. I've theorised this is becauseit's so popular stores have sold out (it does have Moonlight Shadow on it, after all) but not popular enough for them to re-stock. It's also worth of noting that the HDCD has an error on the back cover, Foreign Affair is not mentioned in the tracklisting at all.
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 16:37

Quote (Sysiyo @ Mar. 07 2006, 21:34)
It's also worth of noting that the HDCD has an error on the back cover, Foreign Affair is not mentioned in the tracklisting at all.

Quite right too :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 17:33

I haven't heard Crises for years, I did have a bought casette of it, but the crappy casette player chewed it up :(  (as it did my copy of Sgt Peppers, can't believe it took me 14 years to buy it on CD).  I can't find a CD of Crises anywhere   :O.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 18:01

I can't find a CD of Crises anywhere  :O

Yeah... Odd, really, because I can remember a time not too long ago when this was the only Mike Oldfield CD you'd find in a lot of the High Street shops... I dunno - maybe there were a lot of spare copies around that Woolies snapped up...

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 18:09

Try winmx or blubster. They put up plenty of spyware though, but as least it's free.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 21:46

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Mar. 07 2006, 14:04)
Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Mar. 07 2006, 18:53)
What kind of store is Oxfam?

Charity shop :)

You give them things to sell, things that you don't want but are in a decent condition, and they sell it. The money they get goes to charity (volunteers ensure that this means 100% profit on all items sold) :)

We have Oxfam stores in Australia and they are all new items handmade by third world communities such as parts of Asia and Africa, all cultural stuff and the money goes to helping these communities. I did all my Xmas shopping there one year, got my Mum a set of 5 large dice in a hand carved box with a lid that was a giant dice, for $13 I think, she is a games freak. And I got my nephew a wooden snake that moved like a real snake, and he said it was his best present. My son collects chess sets and I got him one that had the conquistadors against the inkantas, I don't know, someone will correct me, it was from South America, all hand carved, cost $75. My only 'complaint' was that I selected everything from a catalogue and some of the stuff was a lot smaller than I expected, the chess set was tiny which was a disappointment.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 18:30

Lucky you :D

Mine has a typo - it says 'Crisis' instead of 'Crises' :O But I don't mind :p

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 14:17

That was a good find.

I, too, got my CD of Crises from an unusual place. I found the 3CD Disky set of Crises, FMO and HO for just over £6! It was lying at the back of a collection of 'old' compilations in a big department store.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 26 2006, 17:46

Quote (Jammer @ Mar. 09 2006, 14:17)
It was lying at the back of a collection of 'old' compilations in a big department store.

'Old'?! What did they mean by that?! I hope they hadn't dumped Mike in a bargain bin with the likes of Perry Como and Slim Whitman!

--------------
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 27 2006, 08:36

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 07 2006, 17:33)
I haven't heard Crises for years, I did have a bought casette of it, but the crappy casette player chewed it up :(  (as it did my copy of Sgt Peppers, can't believe it took me 14 years to buy it on CD).  I can't find a CD of Crises anywhere   :O.

Disky rereleased an unmastered version a few years ago and were knocking it out for £5.99.

I notice Amazon are now selling it a £1 dearer.

Here!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 29 2006, 06:38

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ April 27 2006, 13:36)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 07 2006, 17:33)

Disky rereleased an unmastered version a few years ago and were knocking it out for £5.99.

I notice Amazon are now selling it a £1 dearer.

Here!

Hi welcome back T4,or should I say Baggiesfaninessex :) . I had to look twice at your new name,at first I thought it was "Bagginsfaninessex", a Hobbit at heart???

Thanks for that link Mart, I've never used Amazon before, are they reliable?   I seethe minumum order is £15 for free P&P, I'm wondering if I should be spoiling myself like this   :/ ,once I buy one CD,Ioften find myself buying more.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 07 2006, 12:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net