Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Spanish guitar and introducing acustic guitar"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dervish_D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2001, 05:38

Actually, I'm not that sure, but does any of you really hear this spanish guitar?

For me I do not, but perhaps anyone can help and tell me where it is or when I have to listen closer to recognize it.

-Dervish-
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 10 2001, 17:46

"Spanish guitar" is just another name for a classical guitar. As far as I can hear, that's the only guitar playing that bit. Evidently Mike meant to double the classical guitar track with an acoustic one, in unison, but then he forgot about it...or simply he liked it that way and didn't want to alter Viv Stanshall's introduction because it sounded nice... smile smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 11 2001, 00:30

It could of course be that it's there in the background, just isn't too noticable, being very well doubled or something (I'll maybe have a slightly closer listen sometime...)...it's a very twangy sound there, although I think that's actually down to other factors.

It's perhaps saying "Here's a spanish guitar, and I'll introduce acoustic guitar because it deserves a mention even though you can't hear it here"...

I guess we could go on speculating...
Profile PM 
BK Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 14:49

I wondered if "introducing Acoustic Guitar" implied that the Acoustic Guitar doubled the bass line riff that goes throughout this part of the album (over the 10-bar chord sequence) (but an octave higher).
Not sure though!! An interesting point to think about is that on the orchestral tubular bells, the violins (I and II) play the bass riff 2 octaves higher - and wondered if this corresponded to "introducing Ac. Guit", or whether it was an idea of Bedford's.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 16:58

Interesting topic, wow...

To me, it sounds like the following:
1) After the MC's announcement, only the Spanish guitar starts (left channel). It plays one cycle of the main melody.
2) Then ("plus Tubular Bells!"), there's another Spanish guitar (rather in the center), doing finger-picking, with open strings. One more cycle.
3) Then the acoustic guitar starts. It plays high-pitched chords in 1/8 notes. In the left channel. This goes on for 3 cycles, at the end of which you can hear the acoustic guitar quite clearly.
3) Then the acoustic guitar is being faded out, you can only hear the Spanish guitar in the ending.

Or I'm completely mistaken, and what I recognise as acoustic guitar is the mandolin... well...
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Stu-bular bell Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2001, 13:53

What actually happens here:
(I've listened many times)

The Spanish guitar (with nylon strings)
moves from right to left AS the
acoustic guitar (with steel strings)
enters at the right and moves to fill the center spot.

better?
Profile PM WEB 
Tubular Cobra Offline

Posted: July 21 2002, 17:36

I Thought it was "Yes! Tubular Bells!" Oh Well!
What is the Guitar At the End Of Tubular Bells Part One?

--------------
ooo! Look at my Pretty Black Stripes! :D and btw - Mike Oldfield Ownz You!(Well Not Really)
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2002, 06:46

i can hear the spanish guitar, but only just. This is something to fix in the re-recording!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 10 2001, 05:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net