Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Spacewalk (Own track)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ColdSun2003 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2003, 15:29

Hello all,

I've just uploaded a track to my website which is one I've written myself.  It's only a VERY rough demo and has a few bum notes, glitches etc.  In a nutshell - it ain't finished yet  :D

It's made entirely with synthesizers (no guitar - can only muster 3 chords on the damn thing) and, as for the sound, I guess you could describe it by saying it's one part Oldfield, one part Vangelis and two parts Tangerine Dream.

If you'd like to hear it, it can be downloaded here - please let me know any comments/feedback as it's all gratefully appreciated.

Hope you like it!

Simon "Cold Sun" Slator.
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 10 2003, 05:37

Hi,

Although it isn't exactly my style, I'll try to comment your track.

Positive:
- I think it's quite new age-like (correct me if I'm wrong), so I guess it's your intention to keep it a song without much change. I think it isn't something for the general public, because of the combination of the length and the static feel, so it's something for the new age-fan.
- The title goes very well with the song.
- I think it would be very nicely used in a computergame. A lunar exploration game or something...

Negative:
- I feel that the bum notes and the glitches are the most interesting things that happen in the song.    :/
- Don't like the way you use the drums, especially at the end, when you suddenly build up the tention with the drums, and then you just let it go... a pity and annoying...
- The ending (the most important part of a piece of music IMO, because "as we all know, endings are just beginnings"  ;) ) isn't good at all, (you're ending with the Dominant chord, if I've listened well  :( ), but I guess that's why you said it isn't finished yet.

Sorry if I was to hard for ya, but hey, truth above all! ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 10 2003, 05:53

Hi,

having problems both with connection speed and hard disc capacity, I didn't listen to the song. Just a general note: As I know from experience, it is never a good idea to let anyone (including friends) hear a piece of music you did unless it's at least 95% finished. It always leads to disappointments, simply because where you hear what you would play, others hear what you did play.

Good luck with the piece. Holger
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 10 2003, 11:02

Very interesting. With a bit of time you could make something much like Tr3s Lunas or similar. Especially if you do get some guitar in there. Only thing to me is it sounds a little too 80s for me. And I hate 80s music lol. It's the whole synth thing. But then like MO proved, if it's used properly it can be timeless. I mean, Ommadawn was made while disco was big. just proves how good you can make something in the midst of 'crapness.' lol

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: April 10 2003, 13:17

Thanks for the comments!  From the feedback I've received regarding this track so far, the drums have definitely got to go!  They were really only an afterthought anyway.  Those that have heard it previously come from New Age/Ambient backgrounds and, apart from the drums, quite liked it (they don't mind a bit of aimless meandering :D)

Since I heard Tr3s Lunas, I have been meaning to make an album in a similar style but never seem to get anything started.  But I'll give it a shot.

@MusicallyInspired: I'm not surprised at your comment stating it sounds a bit 80's.  Most of the synths I used were VSTi versions of 70's/80's synths like the Pro-52 and Waldorf PPG.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 10 2003, 17:50

I don't mind the drums myself - they may not be the sounds which are currently in fashion, but they fit the style. I also think the ending is quite in keeping with the style (though it could work if the drums build up like they do, and the whole track cuts off there, maybe dropping to one chord which lingers for a second or two before disappearing).

I can't say I'm very much into the likes of Tangerine Dream and Vangelis, but I quite like what you've done here. I think you've captured that 'big synth music' sound nicely. I think there probably would be a bit of space for a guitar if you wished to add one, but I assume that would mean you finding someone to do it (I would offer, but it's so unlikely I'd find the time to actually do it...), but equally, it works fine without.

I think that, depite the fact that Music, the ancient language... likes them, I'd fix the bum notes like I assume you were intending to...
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 15:41

Well done m8.. more soon

post this on a vangelis fan site and they would luv it..yup but sort the bum notes out : )

luv it m8 (dont touch them drums)
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 09 2003, 15:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net