Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sounds of the 70's - 1976 interview clip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2013, 15:06

Today's edition's of Johnny Walker's archive section (marking Tubular Bells reaching number 2 in the album charts on the 1st of September 1974, he said...) has a couple of clips of a 1976 Radio 1interview by Alan Freeman, and a statement from John Peel in between, underscored by Russian/Finale before you-know-what plays.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03903dk

An iPlayer affair again.  I can't recall what we hear of Fluff's interview as being part of any other feature on Mike that I've heard, but if it is familiar to millions then I'd be interested to learn more.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2013, 07:05

Thanks for spotting this. I remember Alan Freeman playing a different extract from this interview on his Saturday show. It was a kind of promo for the whole interview to be aired on a programme called Insight. I scanned the Radio Times but the programme never showed up and consequently these extra clips are new to me too. At the time it was exceedingly rare to hear Mike speak on the radio but there was this short period in late 1976 & early 1977 when he was interviewed quite a lot.

The Alan Freeman interview was done at Richard Branson's house in London, on one of Mike's equally rare trips to the city, shortly after the Boxed set came out. I'd love to hear the full thing.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2013, 16:07

More has been learned - cheers!

I'd hesitate to say this will work, as they may be swamped with weekly requests from other groups of fans, but someone with your clout might have luck e-mailing Johnny and his team to ask about the provenance of the clips: perhaps they came from another programme; BBC paperwork led them to the interview extant; Johnny pickpocketed the tape from Fluff back in the day and Insight never aired...

The source of John Peel's contribution may be revealed as well.  Hearing him talk about "important artists", I don't think it was post-Punk. :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
2 replies since Sep. 01 2013, 15:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net