Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sound on Hergest Ridge Part Two, 9:41 to 15:35< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
James_Hammings Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 18:33

Does anyone have any idea how Mike got the sound that is featured from 9:41 to 15:35 on Part of Hergest Ridge or how I might replicate the sound? Thanks for any help you can give.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 09:29

Do you mean his guitar sound?As i understand it Mike used his telecaster through a fuzz box for the dirty sounds into a Fender Twin amp and very occasionally a wah-wah.
 Korgscrew's yer man though i think.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 10:39

Ah yes...the 'thunderstorm'...

According to Oldfield legend, that's the sound of some 90 multitracked electric guitars. Whether it's really that many is rather difficult to tell, but there are certainly a fair few.

He bought a Gibson SG Junior with the royalties from Tubular Bells, and he used that a lot, if not exclusively on the album - that's one reason why a lot of the guitar sounds are rather fatter than those on Tubular Bells. I think he was still running it through Tom Newman's chain involving distorting the input of a Teac tape recorder (curiously, Ritchie Blackmore used to use one as well as part of his guitar chain) then running it into the compressor on the Manor's desk, then running the output of that into another mic input (which would then overload) and applying more compression and some EQ to smooth out the fizziness generated by all that distortion.

I think a lot of the key to creating that 'thunderstorm' sound is having things filling out lots of different frequency ranges. There's some bass guitar in there, some electric guitars down at the lower end of their range, then parts getting progressively higher up.
What are really prominent are the distorted double speed guitars, which are what gives it that synthesiser-like sound. You have to distort them then record them at half speed, not the other way round - you'll not end up with the same extended range of high harmonics if you distort it afterwards. Now the question is how to do that...
If you happen to have access to a Digidesign Pro Tools system, just record-arm a track and hit command, shift, space (if I remember right, you can do control f12 on a Windows system) and off you go...it runs just like a slowed down tape recorder (it basically runs everything at half the sampling rate). I'd imagine you could do that trick slightly less quickly with other software, by recording the part at half your final intended sampling rate, then tricking it into accepting it as a file of twice that rate. The advantage of doing that over pitch shifting is that it's not processing it at all, so there are no artefacts. I think playing it at half speed is also part of the sound - the attack ends up shorter, as does the sustain, and the vibrato ends up twice the speed.

Some of the layers in that section sound less distorted than others to me. I'd suggest exercising caution in using distortion with things like this - too much and it'll sound horrid very quickly. There's a really fine line between that 70s Oldfield fuzz and a ghastly wasp in a jam jar sound, which too many people end up crossing (in fact, it could be argued that Mike himself has done on occasion...).
In theory, the best way to imitate that sound ought to be DIing the distorted guitar without any kind of speaker simulator, but you might well find that with digital equipment, that just becomes too much to bear (indeed, even Mike began plugging into the Fender Twin that The Caveman mentioned, for a less 'electronic' sound). EQing off the high frequencies like Tom did will give you a different result to using a speaker/speaker simulator to do it (partly because the EQ is a static filter and the speaker is a dynamic component...but there are whole books dedicated to that sort of thing...).
There is, in the end, no real substitute for knowing the properties of every item in your signal chain and knowing what doing things at different stages in the chain is going to do (like the difference between turning down the tone control on a guitar going into a distortion pedal and keeping the tone control on the guitar wide open and turning down the tone control on the pedal instead...or indeed, turning down the treble on the amp...). I get the feeling I've written quite enough for one post, though!

Do feel free to ask more questions if I've said anything confusing...and...maybe if you prod me enough, you'll be able to persuade me to record a demo of some of this stuff!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 11:10

As if by magic the Korg appeared.I really had no idea about most of that.A mine of info.Where do you get your info from?Do you have a direct line to the man himself? ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 12:56

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 19 2008, 15:39)
Do feel free to ask more questions if I've said anything confusing...and...maybe if you prod me enough, you'll be able to persuade me to record a demo of some of this stuff!

Prod, Prod -  PROD (That last one was really hard!;)

:D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
James_Hammings Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 15:14

Thank you very much for your extremely detailed reply! I would never have the patience to overdub so many guitars... If I have any success with the methods you suggested I shall let you know. Thanks again.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 07:07

Ok, so I guess the prodding worked ;)

Here's a quick and dirty demo (well...as quick and dirty as you can get when recording 14 tracks of guitars...) which is something along the lines of what Mike did there - Blunderstorm

I wanted to try and do something that would be easily repeatable by anyone, so for the guitar sound, I used the headphone output of a Marshall MS1-R micro amp, which you can buy for about £20. The red colour is particularly important, as it gives the amp a smoother tone than the black(*). I felt it would help get that nasty gnarly tone of overloading transistor circuits.
I think if I was going to do this 'for real' I'd use something else, or I'd at least add a few more things to the signal chain to get a slightly smoother sound. For some of the double speed guitars and the solo part, I did run it through a studio compressor before it hit Pro Tools, as I felt that it helped to smooth out the sound, and wanted to do that before speeding it up rather than after (in the case of the solo part, I just used it because it happened to be plugged in - I don't think compressing after recording would have been an issue). You could no doubt use a compressor pedal, or the compressor in a multieffects unit.

There's a track of bass, four tracks of guitars playing basic power chords (two with a slightly cleaner, sharper sound and two with a more fuzzy sound), a couple playing a little pattern that alternates between the root note and the same one an octave up, then there are 6 tracks of double speed guitars playing similar patterns in different registers (two pairs are doing a root-5th pattern, one pair is doing the octave pattern really high up). I stuck a solo on top of it all, played in an Oldfield-esque style, mostly because I felt like it.
The guitar was an old Gibson SG Junior that a friend of mine found lying around in the home of a strange hippy musician up a hill in Herefordshire in the early 70s. During a night of particularly wild revelry and more than few 'herbal cigarettes', my friend suggested that as the musician didn't seem to be playing the guitar much, it would be much better if he found it a new home. The musician's intoxicated nods were interpreted as a yes, and off he went with it. He never could remember the name of the guy he got it from... (**)
I EQed all the parts to take off the fizz and get closer to the tonal balance of the original recording (it was mostly just a fairly steep cut from about 6kHz upwards). I used the tone controls on the guitar and amp for some of the parts too, to get slightly mellower sounds.

One thing that's obvious to me is that Mike recorded a heck of a lot more guitars in his thunderstorm than I did here - it has a much smoother sound as a result. The 90 guitars story could well be true. He'd have needed to bounce them down a few times to achieve that, which would have smoothed out the sound a little bit as well. I also think that he used a bit more gain than the little plastic Marshall provides on its own. Actually, a nice thing to do with that amp is to run a tubescreamer into it then mic it up. Perhaps that would also yield an interesting result when using the headphone out. It's really possible to fiddle around for hours with things like this!
I also reckon Mike recorded the high notes separately rather than doing alternating patterns like I did...and probably lots more of them as well, to make them come through more strongly. I didn't actually listen to the album before I started this, as I didn't really set out to copy Mike note for note or anything - I just wanted to go for something with that kind of flavour. His harmonies were far more involved too. Goodness knows how long he spent doing all that...

Well, it's good fun to try, anyway! I imagine that spending a few days on it and really working on the sound would yield something that sounds very close to the album (by contrast, I suppose I spent about an hour doing this)...I hope this serves to prove that the technique works, though!

* Ok, so I was kidding about the red amp, the colour makes no difference at all. It is, however, about 14 years old, which I think almost makes it vintage, so it must be good.

** Yeah, you guessed it, the thing about the guitar isn't true either. Actually it's a JJ Guitars Jewel, but just saying that wouldn't have kept you entertained for nearly so long, would it? It's pretty similar to the Gibson in construction, with a mahogany body/neck, P90 pickups and a wrap-over bridge. The body is thicker than an SG, and there's some debate over how much the presence of a neck pickup alters the sound of the guitar overall, but certainly in the case of this guitar, I'd say it's all worth it for the beautifully deep sound that the neck pickup has.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 10:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 23 2008, 12:07)
I was kidding about the red amp, the colour makes no difference at all.

I couldn't decide how I wanted to respond to this, so I worked my way through a variety of responses:

1. I feel quite shaken. It was the only part of Korgscrew's post that I'd believed.
But then ...
2. If the red amp is dominant, and black the subdominant, and if you used red for the left channel and black for the right, would the music be in the key of green minor, or blue flat?
And then ...
3. The complementary of red is green. So if you use a green amp, do you get the calm after the storm?
And finally ...
4. It's best to choose the colour of your curtains to match the tunes you most like to whistle. (It's called audioterior decorating.)

But then I realised that Sweetpea (quite rightly) would be bound to say I was having another four-can moment. So I thought better of it and decided not to post any of them.

[But really (said a small voice as the door closed) - the colour does make a difference, doesn't it, Korgscrew?]
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 12:29

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 23 2008, 15:00)
[But really (said a small voice as the door closed) - the colour does make a difference, doesn't it, Korgscrew?]

I guess I never actually tested to make sure...

...bah, you're messing with my mind, Alan!

In seriousness though, I think things like that actually can make a difference, if they make you feel better about the equipment. Sometimes things just feel good to use and encourage you to use them well, which can be what makes all the difference. If you think the red one sounds better, it may well start becoming true...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 13:28

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 23 2008, 17:29)
Sometimes things just feel good to use and encourage you to use them well, which can be what makes all the difference. If you think the red one sounds better, it may well start becoming true...

This must be one of the most perceptive comments made on Tubular.net in recent times, and a candidate for Sweetpea's Quotes thread, surely? [Sweetpea, are you getting this?] And not just true about music, but true about an awful lot of things in life generally.

OK. Now back to the nonsense. What about this business of shaking the wires to get the electrons flowing more freely in the loud bits .....?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 15:50

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 23 2008, 13:28)
[Sweetpea, are you getting this?]

Of course. I see all!* And now you know that I lurk the Tech forum despite only understanding a third of what's posted here. And it's a good thing, too, otherwise I'd have missed "Blunderstorm" - which I think is a hoot and even more impressive considering Korg was apparently going by memory and applying improv.

* Not really, and much of what I do see is blurred. I just wanted to try and sound scary. And should we all be concerned that footnoting may soon reach epidemic proportions?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2008, 05:03

Quote (Sweetpea @ Feb. 23 2008, 20:50)
"Blunderstorm" - which I think is a hoot and even more impressive considering Korg was apparently going by memory and applying improv.

Yes! Amid all the above nonsense, we must not draw attention away from Blunderstorm, which is a staggeringly impressive demonstration!

(And listen out for the amplifier colour change at 00.13.)
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2008, 07:49

Ah, so here's "Blunderstorm".  I noticed it mentioned somewhere else and didn't have a clue what was being talked about until now.  Still, now I do, and I must say it's quite of the awesome.

I'm not going to attempt to join in with the technical conversation, seeing as that would be the equivalent of throwing my goldfish into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and expecting it to swim home (yes I know it wouldn't be able to survive in saltwater anyway, but you get the point).  However I will say that not having a red amp could possibly be where I've been going wrong all these years...
:cool:
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 01:56

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 23 2008, 10:00)
I couldn't decide how I wanted to respond to this, so I worked my way through a variety of responses:

I wanted to make a poll for us to vote on the best response, but I was afraid of getting kicked off the board for excessive indulgence.

Quote (Ebony @ Feb. 24 2008, 07:49)
Ah, so here's "Blunderstorm".  I noticed it mentioned somewhere else and didn't have a clue what was being talked about until now.  Still, now I do, and I must say it's quite of the awesome.

Whoa. It took only a day for Korg's "quick and dirty demo" to achieve renown? I've seen some strange things, here, but that's impressive.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 03:52

Quote (Ebony @ Feb. 24 2008, 12:49)
I must say it's quite of the awesome.

I just have to comment on this wonderful expression. Is it a pure Ebony-ism (as I suspect), or is it some general but obscure idiom that I haven't encountered?

I mean - an ordinary person would say 'it's awesome', and would be understood.  But that 'quite of the awesome' has an expressive voice all its own. First, the adjective is transposed into a noun - 'the awesome'. So that kind of enhances the sense of its reality, because nouns are more in-yer-face than adjectives, right? Then, Blunderstorm is said to be 'of the awesome' - that is, boldly admitted to membership of the hallowed company of really real things that constitutes 'the awesome'.

But then, the master stroke - a delicate sense of refinement is introduced with the word 'quite'. So the bold inclusion in the worshipful company of 'the awesome' is seen not to be so bold after all, but a simple consequence of connoiseurship - something that will be recognised by those who have the requisite sensibility.

'Quite of the awesome'. Brilliant. Made my day.

[Alright. Who was that whispering, 'Hasn't he got anything better to do?' ]
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 03:53

Quote (Sweetpea @ Feb. 26 2008, 06:56)
I wanted to make a poll for us to vote on the best response, but I was afraid of getting kicked off the board for excessive indulgence.

Wouldn't have been possible anyway because I decided not to post them.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:00

Alan, I'm glad my saying had such a profound effect on you!!  As far as I know, it is my own invention and not in general circulation (though to assume no one out of the however many billions of people there are in the world has thought of it before may be a tad arrogant of me...)

Maybe going into it in so much depth is indicative of having too much time on your hands, but I have to say it was the best thing I've read all day!  One could even say it was 'admissible into the hallowed company of really real things that constitutes the awesome'.
:D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:11

Quote (Ebony @ Feb. 26 2008, 22:00)
As far as I know, it is my own invention and not in general circulation

I thought as much! You are quite of the remarkable.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 15:27

Actually, you never specified part 1 or 2. At 9:41 I hear a pretty guitar and a sweet oboe playing a melody that's the all time show stopper of melodies. Lemme go check Part 2 at 9:41, I'm playing HR now......The "Porky Cut" vinyl rip.(Jim sips on his Guiness extra stout and calculates forward). Ok, so now I'm at that same point in part 2. I'm hearing a sequence(we had sequencers back then-not midi until 1983), you had to manually tune about 16 knobs and s*^# to make a sequence with stuff as primitive as a voltage controlled Arp AXXE or a Crumar Orchestrator/Performer, or some organs, (just ask Rick Wakeman how pissed off he got at live Yes shows when he programmed his primitive sequencer and put a sign on it saying "do not unplug!" and some idiot unplugged it). Anyway I think the repeating keyboard part is too precise to have been played manually. MO did a keyboard part just prior to the start of this section(kind of a Tony Banks hand-over-hand part) and you can hear human error in the playing. I think this was a sequenced single oscillator synth or else organ(kind of like what Pete Townsend did on Baba O'reily but slower and more minimal) or a Crumar product. This sequence seems to provide the only tempo as there is no percussion. I'm hearing a single guitar solo, a bass, perhaps 2 maybe 3 women singing. After about 2 minutes of this I hear some rhythm guitar added and the "foundation sequence" changes slightly and is a 5th octave different from the first sequence. Another 45 seconds or so, the rhythm and lead guitars become more frantic. Then a 3rd variation of the "foundation sequence" begins with some syncopated organ chords layered on top. After about 30 seconds an oboe sound from an organ is used for a melody. Another 30 seconds later we revert back to the sequence used about 3-4 minutes prior and lead guitar comes back in. The sequence does some small changes and the "girly vocals" become more frantic, then dissapear. A second lead guitar is added then a crescendo is reached and we screach to a halt for the next soft acoustic section......
    Gee whiz, I never analyzed it like that, but I was alternating between writing this and listening/pausing the recording. I can see how much fun you all are having with this and I hope I don't piss anyone off. But my ears hear this list of things(pretty grandiose for 1974 but very minimal to the way you are talking about it). A sequencer controlling a synth/organ/or Crumar to provide a "beat/tempo" of about 120-130 beats per minute, fast but not too fast. A bass guitar. One rhythm guitar. 2 lead guitars. 2 or more female vocalists. Several organ parts played manually, chords and monophonic, one of which sounded like it was run thru a ring modulator(like Jon Lord of Deep Purple or Tony Banks in early Genesis did). Thats about it. If I'm wrong, feel free to give me some gratuitous cussing. I'll never grow tired of HR. This album is my childhood and adulthood(into middle age). I could hear it 1000 times again!! Take care and remember things are not always as complicated as you wish them to be.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 20:23

I think the 90 guitars figure comes from David Bedford, from his preparation for his orchestral arrangement of the album. It's mentioned in the Elements booklet if I remember right, though we all know how well thought of that one is!
I see a fairly clear progression from the 'Bagpipe Guitars' of Tubular Bells to there and from there to the beginning of Ommadawn Part Two - both of those being cases which are reasonably well documented as definitely being multitracked guitars (I think the Boxed booklet claims that part of Ommadawn used something like 67). There's also a bit in the Caveman section of Tubular Bells where it seems to me like he made one experiment too many with layering parts - the treble suddenly drops off quite substantially, and the whole thing becomes more woolly, though it's been corrected on the latest remasters (not the Elements one though).
The double speed technique was also certainly one he used a heck of a lot, both with guitars and with keyboards.

You're right that there are some organ lead lines in places. The instruments used were by Farfisa, GEM and Lowrey. I think the Farfisa was a Professional, the GEM was definitely a Gemini and if I ever saw what model of Lowrey was used, I've since forgotten! As far as I'm aware, Mike didn't use sequencers until much later - I seem to remember reading somewhere that he preferred the effect of playing parts by hand at half speed (I believe that was mentioned in connection with Incantations). He certainly didn't use synthesisers until Ommadawn - Mike always talks as if synthesisers didn't exist when he recorded those first two albums, which we of course know isn't true, but I assume he'd not seen one until he bought his own.

So...that's the information I'm basing most of my conclusions on. I never really answered The Caveman's question about where I get all of this information from, so I'll try and give some answers now...
I started off with this years ago, at a time where I was very motivated in finding out more about how Mike made his music. I unfortunately wasn't terribly academic about it at the time, so I often didn't make proper notes of where I got the information from - the idea that someone might ask me later where I'd got the information from really didn't cross my mind at the time! I have a way of remembering slightly odd things...I don't really set out to do it, it just happens. So, after reading who knows how many articles, books, websites and other things, I've managed to remember all manner of strange details.
I try to check them up before posting them here, and if I can't confirm it somehow, I try to make sure it's clear that I'm not certain about the answer.
Some of the information about the effects chain came from this article here, in case you're curious.
The rest is purely educated guesswork, from me recognising certain sounds which I've heard before in places where I can definitely prove they're a particular thing. I sometimes get it wrong and change my opinions the more I learn. A fair bit's based on practical experience...but of course there's sometimes more than one way to skin certain felines. I just go with what seems most likely to me, and I hope my demo might have given some insight into that process of trying something, working out what's good and what's bad (and I can certainly find a good amount of both with that first attempt), then using that to inform future decisions...

So that's my take on it all, I think I've said more than enough for one post at least!
Profile PM 
22 replies since Feb. 18 2008, 18:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net