[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Songs That Haunt You< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 11:07

Big bad John - Jimmy Dean (youtube)
Seasons in the sun - Terry Jacks (youtube)
She still loves you - Lilac Time (excerpt on the amazon page track 6 here)
Brother can you spare a dime (no video, see note below)
Little star - Stina Nordenstam (youtube)
Rejoice in the Sun - Joan Baez (from the film Silent Running, youtube)
Candle in the wind - Elton John (Di's funeral)
Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel / Kate Bush (youtube)

There are lots of versions of "Brother can you spare a dime" on youtube. I tried to find a version to link to but couldn't find one I really liked. My love for this song came from when I was playing bass with a jazz band for a short time and it was a track they covered. Makes me now realise just how good that band was (with the exception of their temporary bass player) to discover I can't easily find a version of the song which I like anything like as much as theirs!

Good thread by the way, if a bit depressing. I particularly like "When she loved me", I was nearly tempted to add "I Will go sailing no more" to my own list but the song doesn't standalone outwith the movie that well.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 17:16

Terry Jacks' song has always struck me as incredibly sad, even if the original wasn't - or rather, it was very witty in its overall sadness, but heck, it was Jacques Brel! :) Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" has always had bits of sad associations for me, but it became even sadder when it became inextricably associated with Di. I even hated the song for a short period after that association was first made - but now I love it, in all versions. :)

Regarding "Don't Give Up", I find it very romantic and not haunting at all, in spite of Kate Bush (see the end of page 2 of this topic). ;)

George Michael did a really good version of "Brother...", but apparently the only available videos of it are the Pavarotti & Friends performance, which IMHO is horrible in every aspect :p, and the NetAid-TotP one, which is a bit better, but still doesn't hold up to the song's quality.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 18:30

Oh no thanks Matt and Ugo, got "Seasons in The Sun" in my head now, ARRRRGGGHHHHH can't get it out. i do think of alternative lyrics to do with gays just to try and get that song out of my head, (too rude for here),  btw if anyone thinks i'm "gay bashing" Im not as i've some great bi friends.

This is another song I find haunting in a scary way "Song FromThe Bottom of a Well" - Kevin Ayers

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UY5CT9mTvAo.

Frightening but brilliant
  :)  :D .
I like the way the guitars sound so harsh and stabbing, I think maybe this is the closest guitars have come to sounding like chainsaws.

I've yet to do a full list of songs I find haunting, as in beautiful or sad , frightening, haunting as in plain irritating ,  if you want links if poss I'll have to find them out and post them.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 19:43

Very interesting Ayers song, thanks for the link. Shame Mike O. didn't play on it. He could've made it even more interesting. :)

Off topic, @ MCH: what does "bi" refer to? Bisexuals maybe?

You can hear a very chainsaw-sounding guitar by Mike Oldfield, in the TV-AM section of Amarok, at about 38:50, for just one second. That section isn't supposed to be haunting but, to me, it is - somehow. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 19:54

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2009, 19:43)
You can hear a very chainsaw-sounding guitar by Mike Oldfield, in the TV-AM section of Amarok, at about 38:50, for just one second.

That was a guitar??  :O  I find it highly amusing rather than haunting, but still entirely memorable.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 19:59

Yep bi means bisexuals.

Ugo do you have a link to the TV-AM performance of Amarok. I'm not sure quite what to make of Amarok, I think if anything it confuses me   :/  :/ .   I know i tried playing Amarok in my car as soon as I came back from buying it , I was expecting another Ommadawn, and within the opening few munuite when I heard that guitar stab , I nealy crashed my car, fortunately I was in a 30mph zone   :O . I want to like Amarok, as i do hear some beautiful peaceful moments in there, but them my peace is shattered.

I think my first impression  of Amarok was WTF!!! :/  :O . Yes I would say that Amarok does haunt me in a confusing way.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 22:35

[quote=Matt,Jan. 23 2009, 16:07][/quote]
She still loves you - Lilac Time (excerpt on the amazon page track 6 here)

Ahh,and now you`ve just reminded me that I did`nt choose any Lilac Time songs earlier.Doh what was I thinking?Great choice though Matt.I particularly love the middle 8 of that song,the "remakes and relives" section.But then the final verse is also very incisive I think.Kind of extra-haunting for me in that those first two Lilac Time albums co-incided with the first time I ever fell in love with somebody,and ultimatly broke up with them of course.Like listening to someone else`s life that you can`t quite believe was your own somehow.Duffy hit a lot of raw nerves for me at the time I remember,but in an oddly soothing way you know.Like drifting through turbulence...

Other haunting moments from that album(Paradise Circus)..Father Mother Wife & Child(definetly not too long stevie mate)..Lost Girl In The Midnight Sun(just so wonderfully catchy,it goes with you everywhere)..And The Beauty In Your Body,which is a song I`ve probably wanted to sing to every woman I`ve been with at some point or other...Including the wife,who has just gone up to bed..Alone!...Mmm I think I might go and see if she wants tucking-in?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 04:47

There's some haunting music that I find too grim and I can't listen to it. It's got that kind of slit your wrists doom and gloom about it - and it's too rigid for me.

I can't listen very comfortably to anything by Leonard Cohen and I don't think it's just the music - because I can hear beautful melodies in his work -  I think it's the era. Stuff that I can't listen to often comes from the 60s. Roy Orbison is another one - I can't listen to him. My mother used to play "In Dreams" and I remember saying - "I don't like that man crying , will you turn it off" !!

In Dreams - Roy Orbison   

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 09:45

@ Sweetpea: yes, it's a guitar. It's amazing what Mike can do with a guitar, ain't it? :) As my signature says (which I've never changed since I first subscribed here), I know Amarok by heart, so I can't possibly be provern wrong on anything about it. :cool:

@ MCH: I can't give you a link to that bit because, as you may know, Amarok is one (one track, one piece, one mp3, one .wav file) and I don't have a tracked CD of Amarok, so there's no way for me to grab an excerpt from it. That said, I can perfectly understand you about being shocked by Amarok - I was too, the very first time I heard it, then I got used to it. However, I also think that its continuous, constant alternation of peace and power, melody and rock, fantastically beautiful sections and rudely harsh sections, is one of its main points - it's what makes Amarok what it is, and I love it because of that. :)

@ wiga: I understand your point about the Sixties, but how can Orbison possibly be haunting?  To me his ballads, "In Dreams" being among those, are the emblem of the typical Sixties musical soapiness, corniness, schmalz - in one word, sentimentality. But I love them for what they are...

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 10:15

Hey "In Dreams" is bloody haunting when your mother's playing it over and over and she won't let up, - infact I think it's haunted me all my life. I was a sensitive kid  Ugo :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 10:18

OK, I got it. Indeed even the Spice Girls or Britney can become haunting when played over and over. Sensitivity isn't an issue here, IMHO. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 10:20

Personaly I love Roy Orbison,although I can see why some people would find him overbearing,especialy as a child.It was`nt until my twenties that I started to appreciate him fully myself I think.One of my favourite songs by him is Blue Bayou Just listening to Roy`s vocal on this number,you kind of know deep down inside that he`s never really going back there at all.

I thought this song from the comedy musical bio-pic Walk Hard,was a very good Roy Orbison pastische.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 11:42

I wish I liked mushy peas, and when I see people eating pie and peas it looks good - but I don't like the taste. It's a similar thing with Roy Orbison - I know the music is good but I still associate it with how I felt at 2-3 year old. The fella sounded very distressed and like he was crying and I was very concerned. Infact most of his music is sung in a morose and whining kind of voice - "Only the Lonely" - "Crying" - "In Dreams" - and sounds kind of freaky, because kids don't want to hear a grown man cry (or woman). And every lyric is taken very literally.  So it's unsettling and disturbing to a kid and therefore - h-a-u-n-t-i-n-g-

I will have to try and revisit Roy and Leonard's work and see if I can banish those demons and tell myself it's just a song and just a performance and sooth the inner child inside.

Wow - that's deep.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 11:44

Pretty woman yeah yeah yeah...

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 13:54

@ wiga: like many people of my age (or around it), I discovered Roy Orbison only after he hit big in 1987 with "You Got It" and the Mystery Girl album. The film Pretty Woman, its association with the Orbison song, and the Traveling Wilburys, all came later than that. I had never heard anything by him before that. When he had those hits, I had no idea that he had been very big in the Sixties. So my perception of him is very distorted by the period in which I got to know his music, which is the late Eighties. Of course, keeping all this into account, I understand exactly how his haunting qualities revelaed themselves much more to you, who were over-exposed to him in your childhood, than to me, or to any of his "newer" fans. :)

If you ever manage to re-acquaint yourself with Roy Orbison, check out his "Black & White Night" DVD. It's just excellent.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2009, 17:33

Well it`s funny you mention that Ugo,because I know as a kid I always thought Roy Orbison was pretty cornball myself.So ok I was`nt subjected to him 24/7 like poor old Wiga there.But he would be the kind of artist I would hear on the radio as a youngster here.More often than not on one of those "hits of yesteryear" type shows,that my parents would invariably listen to on a sunday afternoon.So yeah stuff like Only The Lonely I guess.. dom dom dom domme doo wah!..Yeah all those girly bv`s were a huge "eye roller" for a 9 year old style guru such as myself I remember.And I`d be out the house like a shot,to set fire to some ants or something.I hate to think what I got up to when Bobby Vee came on,but it would`nt have been good I know that much.

Anyway when the Mystery Girl album was released,I kind of thought.."oh this is good stuff,I think maybe I should do a bit of a re-think on this guy"..Which consequently I did of course.Fell in love with his music,and basicaly never looked back.And yeah Mystery Girl was a great album I agree.And likewise the unfinished King Of Hearts that followed it,sounded like he was onto a more than worthy succesor to it I felt.I mean it`s just a real shame he had to go when he did,at a point where he was regaining some real recognition as an artist.You know and his vocal contributions to the first Traveling Wilburys album as well were just outstanding.You`re Not Alone Anymore was definetly the stand out song for me by a mile.A song which Adrian Belew later covered to good effect on one of his solo albums.

Of course Roy will always be remembered now I suppose as this great tragic balladeer with an achingly beautiful voice.But the bulk of his back catalogue is a lot more diverse than perhaps the casual listener might first imagine.While equaly so his voice and range lends itself well to a suitably wide variety of styles and arrangemnts I feel.Although that said despite being a rockabilly fan.I`m not too keen on his own very early rockabilly material released before later re-inventing himself in the early 60`s.But also Roy was a fairly competent and gifted songwriter as well,co-writing many of his own hits.While one of his early songs Claudette was later made famous by The Everley Brothers of course.

John Peel was famously a massive fan of the Big O.And mentioned many times that every time his wife would catch him listening to a great stack of his records in sequence,she knew immediatly that he was obviously upset about something.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2009, 07:48

Thanks Ugo and Dirk Star for your validation there...I think it's moved me on with Roy ...

Just got Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river" ...(in deepest voice) to conquer.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2009, 08:30

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 25 2009, 13:48)
Just got Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river" ...(in deepest voice) to conquer.  :D

This somehow reminds me of Genesis, The Lamb album - I don't really know why. Regarding that album, I think that the tale that Peter Gabriel wrote on the jacket is much more uncanny and perturbating (and thus haunting) that the actual music, which, at least to me, is too complex to arouse any kinds of feelings about it. But I love it for its complexity. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2009, 09:22

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 25 2009, 08:30)
Quote (wiga @ Jan. 25 2009, 13:48)

This somehow reminds me of Genesis, The Lamb album - I don't really know why. Regarding that album, I think that the tale that Peter Gabriel wrote on the jacket is much more uncanny and perturbating (and thus haunting) that the actual music, which, at least to me, is too complex to arouse any kinds of feelings about it. But I love it for its complexity. :)

I think that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is full of hauting moments. In fact, much of early Genesis has a kind of overpowering melancholia to it that I find attractive and repulsive at the same time. Nursery Cryme is one of my favorite albums ever, yet I don't play it very often because it makes me feel uneasy. I guess haunting is the word! (Not the Founting of Salmaics, though. That track never touched me.)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 04:42

I didn't realise that wasn't Mike on "Song From The Bottom Of A Well".Damn.I always thought it was.
On the same topic "Whatevershebringswesing"has the most beautifull bass solo at the start which often takes up residence in my head for days on end. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
103 replies since Jan. 17 2009, 05:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net