Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Sondela' theme in old Italian ad, Very un-serious topic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2004, 18:37

I've recently seen a modern re-make of a very old (early 1970s) Italian ad for a morning pancake... what the French call a brioche. :) The modern version of this ad is live action with CG effects, but the 70s original was all toons - and I think it was better. Anyway, the ad features a quaint little town in the countryside, two thieves who commit wildly extravagant thefts (they steal the town hall clock, the bells from the church's belfry, etc.), which affect the life of the whole town, and a kindly giant, catching them every time. The townspeople use a choral chant to call the giant, which goes "Gigante, pensaci tu!" (meaning, more or less, "Giant, you solve it!"). The word "Gigante" is sung on exactly the same notes (i.e. the same interval of notes) and the same rhythm to which 'Son-de-la' is sung during Amarok. :) I know that this isn't the first instance of the 'Sondela' note sequence appearing before Amarok, but as I've re-seen the ad in its modern version (where the chant is the same as the old one), I think it's very interesting, and also very funny. :)

I don't think anyone outside of Italy has ever seen any of the two versions of this ad, but of course I'd be very glad if anyone at all knew what I'm talking about. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 18 2004, 15:02

;) Sorry Ugo, not a clue what you are on about!

But then, would someone putting their finger in their mouth then sayin "when the peas go pop!" mean anything to you?

( A brit ad for frozen peas)

But, it seems a lot of Amarok was sub-concious stuff from Mike, tunes/themes he'd heard coming out. He worked with Lol Coxhill in the 70's, try this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/jon3/freedom/ram/jfocminton.ram

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: May 18 2004, 20:28

Quote (olracUK @ May 18 2004, 20:02)
;) Sorry Ugo, not a clue what you are on about!

But then, would someone putting their finger in their mouth then sayin "when the peas go pop!" mean anything to you?

(A brit ad for frozen peas)

Can't say I do, but the slogan sounds familiar

Just saw the Lol Coxhill video. Is it like that all the way through?? In the right context it's probably quite clever regarding the style of music they're making, but on this video it just conjures up Charlie Higson on the Fast Show presenting Jazz Club about to introduce the band - Nice!

Back to Ugo's message - That three-note sequence for what it's worth is common and simple enough to appear in loads of different things. I remember someone posting on the amarok mailing list saying they heard an airport announcement with the same tones. It is basically a major triad
Profile PM 
2 replies since May 10 2004, 18:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net