Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Someone has been converted< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 22 2003, 09:30

*points at self*

I just wanted to start this thread to talk about the feelings I have towards this album. I have to admit that on first listenings, I wasn't really impressed. "Yeah, this is ok, but TB is still far better." I have to say, though, that I hadn't really took my time to give the album a full, careful listen. At this time of writing, I have heard the album 3 times in two days, and enjoyed it immensely. I must say it's not the most evocative album I've ever heard, for it really doesn't bring images to my head (the same way Equinoxe does, as an example). Still, I don't care, because the music on here is really, really beautiful. The first half is virtually perfect, especially the Supernova / Magellan combo; a really majestic moment of music. The second half is still as good, and I think The Shining Ones is a very pretty short song, and it certainly goes very high on my hanking of "best TSODE songs".

I don't have the nerve to say this is his best album ever (Amarok, Ommadawn and TB stand on the way), but it surely is up there. A very satisfying listen, not only for Mike's sudden change of sound, but for the music content itself.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 22 2003, 13:08

For me, I like this kinda of music more than Mike's 'original' celtic/folk-like style, so, this is my absolute favorite MO album. This and TB2.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2003, 04:57

TSODE is one of my favourite albums as well, even though I wasn't to impressed by it at first. I suppose listening to it in the car during a huge long trip isn't the best was to first hear a piece of music, but that's what I did. Let there Be Light instantly stood out, but I never really discovered the album until I went on holiday, and I heard the beep, beep, beep of Only Time will Tell. I was amazed that such an artificial, repetitive and nearly plain annoying sound could actually fit into an album! Then, when I was again listening to it in the car, for the first time a payed attention to Crysten Clear and discovered the amazing guitar solo. This is one of my favourite solos of Mike's, and assures TSODE's position as one of my all time favourite albums. In the Beginning and Let There be Light are one of the best beginnings of any Oldfield album, and Hibernaculum, Tubular World and Crystal Clear particular favourites. What I find particularly amazing about the album is the way it has a very unique, sci-fi feel, and sticks to that feel throughout the album.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 16:23

:)  I too am a TSODE convert. I love the album now especially Magellan, Supernova, The Chamber, Hibernaculum & Ascension. It is one of my favorite Oldfield albums now & is perhaps the album I listen to the most, when I wish to dream & think deep thoughts. :zzz:

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Guilty Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2004, 20:45

Hmm, in the other forums, you said you discovered you DIDN'T like the album. :D

WOW, this was posted a little over a year laster since the last post! Not a popular forum, hmm.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2004, 22:21

TSODE has the famous fungus effect...for me it had.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Guilty Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2004, 23:59

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Oct. 02 2004, 22:21)
TSODE has the famous fungus effect...for me it had.

What does that mean?

(Nice to see you again.)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2004, 05:17

I presume the fungus effect is that 'it grows on you'?

I remember having trouble with this album too the first few times I heard it - I found it synthetically soulless, and that 'beep beep' was hard to take! But gradually it all started coming together the more I listened, and what I'd originally identified as 'syntheticism' turned out to be far from soulless after all. Even the 'beep beep' took its place as an important part of the piece. Reading the novel made a big difference too: I found that I started fitting images from the novel into parts of the music.

So for me it was very much a piece of music where 'only time will tell'. And time gave it a very strong thumbs up.
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2004, 06:36

I have to agree , my first listen to "songs of a distant earth " i wasn't that impressed but after a few listens it is now one of my favourites , i would have to say it has the best bass layout of nearly all of the albums , I have two 10" Subs in the back seat of my car powered by 100rms of power which can make this album a real earth moving experience..  Boooooooooom  Boooooooom.

:cool:

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2004, 11:18

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 03 2004, 06:17)
I presume the fungus effect is that 'it grows on you'?

Yeah,it grows on you like a fungus growing on a solid medium.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2004, 16:58

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 03 2004, 05:17)
I found it synthetically soulless, and that 'beep beep' was hard to take!

Actually, the 'beep beep' is more or less what I like best about the album  :D
I thought it was really imaginative to link two tracks like that.
Profile PM 
korama
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 08 2004, 14:56

Do you think TSODE is a unique piece of music, more or less in the way of Amarok, or do you prefer to listen to it as a group of songs?

I think it is a unique song, fragmented to do easier to get to the prefered parts. What do you think about this?
korama
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 08 2004, 14:57

excuse for my english  ;)
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2004, 16:23

Yes, I think of it as an extended instrumental, it has this flow.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 19:20

TSODE can (and is on my mp3 player) a collection of seperate tracks. So, while it is in my top 3 records ever, it is still a collection of individual songs which i can listen to individually. Ommadawn and Amarok can only be heard complete, where I am happy to hear Only Time, or Hibernaculum as individual songs.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 06:03

TSODE really should have had huge success, if this and TB1/2 were the only albums to achieve 10m plus sales I'd be happy :)

I mean, it is SO good, it deserves to be recognised. Amarok, well I'd like to keep that confined :D

How well did it do?

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 20:41

Yes I always thought TSODE should have had much more commercial success, it is Mikes most assessible album after the TB variations IMHO, because it follows a specific theme and has a connection to something most people would recognise and I imagine that was his intention when he wrote it around the book. I absolutely love Hibernaculum, it has the same effect on me as Radioheads Paranoid Android when he starts singing, 'Rain down, rain down'. Those two pieces more than anything send shivers down my spine.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
16 replies since June 22 2003, 09:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net