Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Some Thoughts, i.e., What is Incantations like, etc.?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 02 2006, 23:37

Quote (Alan D @ May 01 2006, 08:31)
Quote (Inkanta @ May 01 2006, 00:13)
the Moonboat to Dreamland that I hop on each night is actually an illustration painted by Hugh Williams.

I haven't come across the name Hugh Williams, but your lady in the moonboat has a distinctly late-Victorian look about her  

Alan, I will have to track that down. He was British, but I have it in my head that Moonboat dated from 1912, which would have been a bit late, no? There is a Hugh Williams who would have fit in with the earlier periods, but I quickly couldn't link him to that particular painting.

Quote (Galadriel @ May 01 2006, 07:54)
Incidentally I was playing Incantations last night,  great music for Beltane (May Day) eve.  I do agree Incantations is one of Mike's  greatest works, but nothing can quite surpass Ommadawn as my personal favourite :) .  

BTW with it being Beltane I'm in frivolous mood. Been dancing around to"Thunderstorm/Martian "section of Hergest Ridge,along with Portsmouth and Cuckoo Song, Happy Beltane folks     :) .

Mmm....sounds like you had a good one! :) I had every intention of dancing to Inc-70 last night--was looking forward to it--but wasn't up for it. I missed the major Beltane celebration Sunday night because of a piano concert and having to put together 75 May Day baskets for the senior citizens center. I was up until 3AM working on them, then woke up rather ill. Last night, I still thought I was going to dance to Inc, but I had to go to calling hours for a friend who died over the weekend, and I was too bummed out and still under the weather when I got home to dance to even Inc-Exp. I had a nice, reflective, long run tonight and danced under a crescent moon when I got home--though to Kevin Bartlett's "Outer Marker" instead of Inc. With the greening of the world, I can now dance in my backyard out of sight of the neighbors, woo-hoo! :) Inc: maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow, tomorrow.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 03 2006, 04:12

Quote (Inkanta @ May 03 2006, 04:37)
He was British, but I have it in my head that Moonboat dated from 1912, which would have been a bit late, no?

No, I think 1912 seems perfectly consistent with the picture, now you mention it. I was only speaking vaguely about the dating of the style - or rather, the 'look' of the lady.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2006, 20:18

Weird, but I was just wandering around here, when all of the sudden, Incantations started playing in the other room. No one else is around and I didn't have the CD player turned on. I had been thinking how I need to get off this computer and do a dance workout. Do you think it's just a matter of crossed wires, or am I being called to the Dance by ????   :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2006, 03:28

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 11 2006, 01:18)
Weird, but I was just wandering around here, when all of the sudden, Incantations started playing in the other room. No one else is around and I didn't have the CD player turned on.

The Universe is definitely calling to you .....

How mysterious. How exciting. How startlingly electromagnetic!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2006, 07:16

Quote (Inkanta @ Nov. 11 2006, 01:18)
Weird, but I was just wandering around here, when all of the sudden, Incantations started playing in the other room. No one else is around and I didn't have the CD player turned on. I had been thinking how I need to get off this computer and do a dance workout. Do you think it's just a matter of crossed wires, or am I being called to the Dance by ????   :O

WOW Freaky !!!! :/ .  Someone/Something is definitely calling to you. I guess there's some things in life that defy all logical explanation
;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2006, 00:44

The Call of Incantations. :) There must be a logical explanation for it, somewhere. ;) It was in the CD player to begin with because last Saturday night, our group had a belated Samhain observance. I had been playing IQ in the car, but when we turned east to the rising moon, I had put on Incantations. Chelsey heard it, and the next day asked me what I had done with the CD because she wanted to dance to it. The CD had been left in the player since Sunday. I spent most of the week running or spinning, and the two days that I danced I used my IPod. So...it was a bit of a shock to hear Inc eminating from that room. The player hadn't been left on; the alarm feature hadn't been activated--maybe my original thought of crossed wires is it. The other strange thing is that the Inc CD in the player is the old one, which skips. I danced to the entire thing last night and it didn't skip once. That's truly mysterious. :D I hadn't realised I was listening to the old one until finding the remastered one in the car today.

I have just come from a bonfire at one of the neighbors. After sharing some stories and comparing notes, I am beginning to think our entire neighoborhood is a bit haunted. Not by anything evil, at all--just haunted--unless some of these things are just a Trick of the Light.  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 16 2007, 03:40

My first experience with Incantations was through the four and a half minute excerpt on my Elements CD. I always loved that snippet, but having recently listened to more of the album, it hardly prepared me for the scope of the full work. I've been taking it in with small bites - exploring sections here and there. While some of it hasn't yet appealed to me (mostly "Part Two"), much of it has an incredibly strong pull. Someone earlier mentioned Incantations as being frightening. What scares me is I suspect a paradigm shift is waiting once I let myself fully inside.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 07:42

Quote (hiawatha @ Mar. 26 2006, 20:39)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Mar. 26 2006, 13:48)
I love it's colliery band sound.

do tell more. If they sound like Incantations, I want to find out about them.

This is interesting. The only example of a colliery band I was aware of is a recording of Gustav Holst's "Moorside Suite" by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, on the double CD set "The Essential Holst". It is a most lovely piece of music (indeed I highly recommend the whole set - probably my favourite CD from the classical world overall).

Googling for "colliery band", I found that there are dozens of those bands around - indeed it seems that every colliery in Britain used to have its own brass band, where the coal miners came together to play music in their spare time. I wasn't able to find out how this tradition came into being, but there is a film featuring Ewan McGregor, called "Brassed Off", that tells the story of "the troubles faced by a colliery brass band, following the closure of their pit." I guess it would be interesting to see that one to learn more about the subject.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 17:39

I know this may be a bit of an old topic, yet I can't risk discussion of ghosts, Incantations, and better yet... Both!

Well I was sitting in a meditative state Listening to complete Incantations (on vinyl) I had to convince myself to get up and change sides, yet to my surprise, the music continued, without me even touching it! This continued until it was over (and yes, I was meditating for 74 minutes) And I came out to find the incantations Vinyl sitting neatly on the coffee table infront of me, with both Lps neatly tucked inside.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:01

Quote (Incantations @ July 14 2010, 17:39)
And I came out to find the incantations Lp sitting neatly on the coffee table infront of me, with both vinyls neatly tucked inside.

Here's a worry, Inc.

If the Lp = Long Player = The Records/Vinyl - is sitting etc...

What vinyls have you neatly tucked inside? In the time-honoured phrase,"That's gotta hurt!"  :O

:D

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 18:04

CR

(Sorry-dongle playing up...easy,milamber.Down boy!;)  :p

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 20:38

When I say Lp, and vinyl, you know what I mean. Think of the context of the sentences. I trust you can figure it out.

eh, might as well edit it.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 15 2010, 04:53

Incantations (The Album :D ) and Cooper Roy have one thing in common that stops both from achieving true legend status.
They are both too short  :p

M.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 14:08

Ha! Look what I've done! Forever more people will have to say in parenthesis 'the album' when referring to Incantations to stop confusion!
(insert evil laugh here)

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2010, 02:44

I sorta get the rough sniff of a hint that Incantations (The Album) may be One of your Faves Incantations (The Person).
Have you gone out and bought Exposed yet?
:)
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 16:41

I haven't bought Exposed since I haden't heard of it before I came upon a nifty siite called Tubular.net, but I am planning on buying some time in the future. I also have heard the live version of Incantations on Exposed from a youtube video that has the whole thing!

But yet, I feel guilty (no not the song!;) about watching this so I'll make sure to buy it, as all uber-fans have the obligation to do.  :zzz:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 28 2010, 16:42

Oh, and yes, I am an insaaaane fan of Incantations. :laugh:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:29

Incantations grew on me untill
it became my favorite MO album somewhere in the early 90ies.
I remember saying to myself: wow, what a journey!!
and wondering how long the flute and vibraphones were practiced before recording,
because as you know the rhythm (5/6 I think instead of the classic 4/4) is quite particular and after maybe more than thousands of listenings I still mix up the measures on the vibraphone and flute parts!!  :/

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 21:29

Quote (Incantations @ July 28 2010, 16:42)
Oh, and yes, I am an insaaaane fan of Incantations. :laugh:

But where are you now, Incantations? Are you in that happy land where Caveman, Bassman, and Dirk Star now live?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2018, 19:52

I thought I'd give Incantations another listen. Humble pie (with cream, please  :laugh: ) time, now: it's certainly Mike's most "au steer" (excuse the pun, but it was a gold album, wasn't it?) but the insistence of it certainly gets in the mind. And I'm certainly glad to have heard Part 4 again.
Profile PM 
84 replies since Feb. 11 2002, 06:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net