Posted: July 13 2009, 14:57

I totally agree with you silver,this however is quite good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyiFhfzQRA&feature=related
Bob
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2009, 15:22

That was bad. I thought it was law that an artist or their legal advisors consent to this shit? If I were MO or MO's lawyers, I'd stop this before it started. I still only comprehend copyright law in a limited way. But as I still have musical "stuff" I want to realize, I'd like to be clear. How are these remakes realized? Who sues the living shit out of them? Can anyone sue them in this confuzzzed 21st century? My songs? If and once recorded, will I be protected? But then, if "they" don't have any money it's futile, yes? Case in point, these MO rips.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 17:48

In a nutshell, copyright laws exist to make sure an author or a composer gets paid for copies of their work.  That's pretty much it.  Anyone can do a cover of anybody, as long as it cannot be proven in a court of law that the copier did some harm to the career of the originator of the work in question.

Sucks, eh?

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 13 2009, 21:53

Well, if not liking a given piece of music were enough reason to sue its authors, there would be no music at all.

For one, Mike would probably be in jail because of that wretched Romance... :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 18:41

@ Sir M.: As I said elsewhere in this board, I actually love Mike's rendition of the famous "Romance" theme. It's so very powerful, and I honestly can't see why almost everyone else in here hates that piece so much.  :O

I also can't understand why "fans" get so irritated when something by their favourite artist gets re-made in a style that's very far from the original version, such as here - a dance cover of a pop song. To me it's perfectly feasible with any pop song. Dance is a subgenre of pop, so I don't think there is anything at all particularily bad about that cover, or about Gigi D'Agostino's cover of "Taurus I", or about Prezioso's cover of "Family Man". Indeed, I like them all a lot. :)

By the way, this "Moonlight Shadow" cover is neither Mike nor Sandra. It's E-Rotic. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 20:28

Quote (Ugo @ July 14 2009, 18:41)
@ Sir M.: As I said elsewhere in this board, I actually love Mike's rendition of the famous "Romance" theme. It's so very powerful, and I honestly can't see why almost everyone else in here hates that piece so much.  :O

I also can't understand why "fans" get so irritated when something by their favourite artist gets re-made in a style that's very far from the original version, such as here - a dance cover of a pop song. To me it's perfectly feasible with any pop song. Dance is a subgenre of pop, so I don't think there is anything at all particularily bad about that cover, or about Gigi D'Agostino's cover of "Taurus I", or about Prezioso's cover of "Family Man". Indeed, I like them all a lot. :)

By the way, this "Moonlight Shadow" cover is neither Mike nor Sandra. It's E-Rotic. ;)

Ugo, I agree with you about "Romance". I had no idea it was unpopular, though! Some MO fans need a good slap!

Also agree about the remaking of music. The whole idea of "variations on a theme" has been an accepted genre of music for centuries now. Brahms' "Variations on a Theme by Haydn" is one of my all-time favourite classical pieces! (Go out and listen to it - NOW!;)   :)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 05:31

[quote=nightspore,July 15 2009, 01:28][/quote]
Ugo, I agree with you about "Romance". I had no idea it was unpopular, though! Some MO fans need a good slap!

Ahh post 666 and I see you`re advocating physical violence of some sort.. :p Ok Nightspore,I`m assuming you meant a "playful slap"!?.At least I hope so anyway as I have to say I really don`t like Romance either..(hides face behind hands whilst firmly sat on backside just in case it starts to get weird)

Besides which if we did lock Mike up for something(and his version of Romance seems as good as any other reason to me)..Well we wouldn`t have to bother of going to all that trouble of kidnapping him anymore.We would we be duty bound by law to incarcerate him indefinetely in a nice big "studio sized" prison cell chock full of instruments.It would be a win/win situation surely!?As long as we then made it perfectly clear that he couldn`t record a concept album based around Trancing Up The Classics In A Novice Stylee Volume One.

As for this version of Moonlight Shadow here.Well it`s not my cup of tea I must admit.However(and in full contradiction to the rest of my post here).Any cover version of a Mike Oldfield track can only be a good thing imo.For no matter how much some people may dislike it(including myself) And as unlikely as it may seem I suppose.There may well be somebody out there somewhere who may suddenly start taking a vested interest in the music of Mike Oldfield as a direct result of this track.You just have to look at the fairly recent "triple chart entry" of Leonard Cohen`s Hallelujah to see how these things can happen.You just never know..Fair enough I guess you could say it may well put some people off for life.But imo the majority of those people will already know better anyway.

As for myself having to "put up with" cover versions such as this I suppose.Well firstly it`s not very often I listen to daytime "commercial" radio.And secondly it`s even less often that I go into nightclubs..Although that said the North East of England is hardly the Cultural Mecca of all Christondom(eh?)..But I can`t for the life of me think of one nightclub up here where that track would get played..Unless of course it suddenly became a hit.Then I dare say I would have to get up and strut my funky stuff in a slightly camp ironic style.Or just plain rubbish dad dancing if you like.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 07:52

I agree with Dirk on this subject. Cover versions, IMHO, are often other artists paying tribute to the original artist, and as Dirk said, they may reach a new group of fans. I've heard several cover versions of songs and then ended up purchasing the original versions - thus becoming interested in some artists I never knew existed. Case in point, William Orbit's "Adagio For Strings." After hearing this beautiful rendition, I immediately purchased his "Pieces In a Modern Style" CD and discovered several incredible songs I'd never heard before, thus expanding my musical interests.

I like the Moonlight Shadow cover version mentioned in this thread a lot, although the artwork does make it look like an official Mike Oldfield release (very misleading!;)

Cover versions are compliments to the orginal artists, IMHO, not that all are complimentary, some are horrible, yet, if they bring a new fan "to the flock," I don't see any harm done...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 12:40

I'm not gonna say a word about 666 this time.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 20:19

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 15 2009, 05:31)
Ahh post 666 and I see you`re advocating physical violence of some sort.. :p Ok Nightspore,I`m assuming you meant a "playful slap"!?.At least I hope so anyway as I have to say I really don`t like Romance either..(hides face behind hands whilst firmly sat on backside just in case it starts to get weird)

As long as we then made it perfectly clear that he couldn`t record a concept album based around Trancing Up The Classics In A Novice Stylee Volume One.

Hi Dirk, yes, I did mean a playful slap - so watch out, or it will be a case of Mr and Mrs Spank paying a short, sharp trip to bottyland (as Nursie said in Blackadder)! (It's debatable, of course, that spanking is violence anyway - presumably it has to be accompanied by anger, otherwise any other kind of inflicted pain - such as a medical operation - would count as violence too.)

Trancing up the classics? What a terrific idea! I'm a classical music fan, but I much prefer Mike's Lakme to the rather dreary original version! And I like the e-rotic version of "Moonlight Shadow" slightly more than the original!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 04:35

:laugh: Well I`m pleased that`s that one cleared up.Although to be honest I don`t know which one I would be more fearful of?A straight forward "smack" around the kisser.Or half an hour locked away in old nursie`s bed chamber there??..I`m kinda` thinking I would still go for the latter though,just out of pure self-curiosity.

I actualy like the Lakme track as well,it`s very emotive I feel.And although I had a little dig at Mike`s "trance" attempts there.I think my main problem with Romance is probably more to do with the melody itself.I mean I don`t listen to a lot of classical music,so my referances and time-lines are proabably way off here.But anything that remotely conjures up images for me of people in outlandish sized wigs,and looking suspicously like The Scarlet Pimpernel.Well yeah it just leaves me emotionaly cold I have to admit.So just to clarify in a musical sense..Blackadder 1&2 i`m kind of OK with to a point.And Blackadder 4 even more so I guess.But Blackadder 3??..Noooo forget about it,it just ain`t happening daddio..Even though Hugh Laurie`s performance in that series was probably my favourite thing from the whole entire run.

@HRfanUSA..I love William Orbit,although I have to admit I`m not a big fan of that album.I do like some of the tracks though.Do you have any of his other albums?Strange Cargo 3 & 4 are both very good imo.As is his album with Torch Song Toward The Unknown Region..Anyway I know he`s been very busy recently,he`s just released a new album My Oracle Lives Uptown.And as well as a new Torch Song album coming soon.You may be interested to know that he`s also working on Pieces In A Modern Style 2.I think he`s planning on releasing all those albums(including his new one) this year.Or certainly within 12 months from what I gather.

Just picking up on the point about people getting into a certain artist`s music through cover verions as such.I remember that was how I got into the music of The Kinks.When during a short period of time during the late 80`s there was The Stranglers having a go at All Day And All Of The Night.Kirsty MaColl recorded her version of Days.And even The Fall with old Brix in tow(probably part of the reason why they did it now that I think about it)..Put out a version of Victoria.I mean I would`nt say any of those covers were particularly great or inspired in any way.But they were enough to raise my interest,and subsequently had me buying up their entire back catalogue just as quickly as I could raise the funds.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 06:22

Hi Dirk,

I did get Orbit's Strange Cargo at some point but couldn't connect with it very well so I traded it. I'll be excited to hear Pieces 2.1 though. Thanks for the update!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 08:34

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 16 2009, 04:35)
But anything that remotely conjures up images for me of people in outlandish sized wigs,and looking suspicously like The Scarlet Pimpernel.Well yeah it just leaves me emotionaly cold I have to admit.

That description actually conjured up, for me, an image of Brian May from Queen!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 09:35

Ha Ha..Well I guess that`ll have to do,it`s close enough!..He fashioned his guitar from a toilet,and played upon it a righteous riff to save the French Aristocracy..Or something!?..Check it out on Wikipedia/History,it`ll be up there before you know it.
Profile PM 
14 replies since July 13 2009, 11:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net