Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: So, new or upcoming releases?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 20 2013, 07:57

What has the year 2013 brought to us?

I'm not exactly the most apt person to talk about new music, as I have so much stuff to catch up with and so little time to listen. Anyway, here's some stuff:

Autechre - Exai. Being a huge hardcore Autechre fanboy, I felt like a complete idiot for finding out they had a new album three months too late. But I still managed to buy it from Bleep and give it some listens, and it surely nourished the Autechre-craving part of my brain. It's the first double album they put out, and it's meaty and saucy, and the spaghetti is al dente. Not really a nice introduction to someone who never heard their music, but a fine addition.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories. Heard it only once so far, but it's been a long time since I've been so excited by a dance-oriented album. Wonderful songs, amazing production and attention to detail, great atmosphere. The Giorgio Moroder hommage had my hair stand on end.

Upcoming records I can't wait to hear:

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest. 8 years of silence, an incredibly clever and satisfying launch campaign, and a promise of a great album to come out on June 10. I can't say how anxious I am, I can barely wait.

So, anyone else?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 20 2013, 11:58

Currently on my list of "albums worth listening to" are:

Bastille - Bad Blood
Post War Years - Galapagos
Everything Everything - Arc
MS MR - Secondhand Rapture
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: May 20 2013, 13:14

agree with you on Bastille, Tati  :)

I like Jake Bugg ...whole album is good..he's one to watch

Kassidy Hope Street ( was out in 2011 - does that count? -'oh my god' is brilliant)

Lorne Balfe...The soundtrack to The Sweeney - amazing, eerie

Einaudi In a Time Lapse just a genius ( but not in the same league as Mike - he's unique!!;)

The Piano Guys - latest album is really good fun - someone on here mentioned it ( I forget who - sorry !!;) but well worth a listen if you like 'classical' that has been played around with.

Bit of a mixed bag!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 25 2013, 00:56

Random Access Memories is still upcoming for me.  I wouldn't even mind postponing the experience a bit longer, on the offchance that I find a double vinyl copy when I go looking next week.

Matt Berry made a huge impression when on with Radcliffe and Maconie ten days ago.  The track Solstice especially brought thoughts of Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield to the presenters and those texting in, and I'll be looking out for Kill the Wolf in June.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 15:27

I actually found Random Access Memories to be really lacking... I guess that's different preferences for you. I, like everyone else, heard "get lucky" and expected a lot more in a similar vein... nope.

Also, the production on the album version of "get lucky" leaves something to be desired... almost like it was cobbled together as an extended mix after the track was finalised.

I was looking forward to this one  :/

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2013, 02:27

Yeah I agree I had a quick listen to that Random Access Memories Album to check what all the Fuss was About. Didn't do much for Me either.

Will probably be getting these is the Near Future

Arcade Fire (New Album) Oct 29th..
Goldfrapp . Tales of Us 9th Sep
Neko Case New Album   2nd Sep
Alan Partridge . Alpha Papa Soundtrack Compilation. 5th Aug..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2013, 04:53

Lets add some items to this nice list :) :

20.8. - John Mayer - Paradise Valley

30.8. - Blackfield - IV (producer: frontman Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree; guests: Brett Anderson, Jonathan Donahue of Mercury Rev, Vincent Cavanagh of Anathema)

6.9. - Emiliana Torrini - Tookah

24.9. - Clannad - Nadur (their first album since 1998)

24.9. - Peter Gabriel - And I'll Scratch Yours (a few of Gabriel's favorite songwriters perform versions of his work; featured artists include Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, David Byrne, Brian Eno, Lou Reed, Paul Simon and others)

24.9. - Katie Melua - Ketevan

24.9. - Sting - The Last Ship (his first album of all-original material in 10 years)

1.10. - Moby - Innocents

15.10. - Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt (their first album since 2009; producer: Brendan O'Brien; first single: "Mind Your Manners")
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: July 26 2014, 07:57

Lisa Gerrard will release her new solo album 'Twilight Kingdom' on 4th August. Here is a link to a german mp3-store with some promising first snippets.

http://de.7digital.com/artist/lisa-gerrard/release/twilight-kingdom
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 20 2013, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net