Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: So many different Oldfield tracks on tv, radio,...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
markus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 26 2002, 14:19

Hi,

my name is Markus, I live in southern Germany.

I am an Oldfield fan since Moonlight Shadow.

I am amazed again and again how many different Oldfield tracks I heard in the past 19 years on (german/austrian) radio, tv and other occasions.

I'm afraid that his music is not played so often in the US, so it might be interesting for some of you when I tell you what tracks I heard up till now; I think I remember all of them.

On radio: portsmouth, cuckoo song, blue peter, arrival, family man, five miles out, moonlight shadow, foreign affair, shadow on the wall, crime of passion, to france, tricks of the light, pictures in the dark, islands, flying start, magic touch, the time has come, holy, innocent, blue night, heaven's open, sentinel, hibernaculum, the voyager, to be free.

On radio as background music: tb1 - exorcist theme, guilty, blue peter, wonderful land.

On tv as background music: tb1 - exorcist theme, in dulci jubilo, portsmouth, charleston, north star, punkadiddle, arrival, wonderful land, jungle gardenia, requiem for a city (the computer sounds at the end), evacuation, execution, the wind chimes part 2 (excerpt), sentinel, maya gold, let there be light, only time will tell, the chamber, hibernaculum, tubular world, she moves through the fair, wild goose flaps its wings, tubular x, jewel in the crown, outcast, broad sunlit uplands.

TV appearances of MO:
arrival, crime of passion, poison arrows, pictures in the dark, islands, holy, innocent, heaven's open, sentinel, man in the rain.

In the Munich planetarium:
sentinel, blue saloon, sunjammer, only time will tell, hibernaculum, mont st. michel, the source of secrets, secrets, far above the clouds.

And in my local supermarket, on shopping radio: tb 1 - exorcist theme, enigmatism.

That's enough for today!

Have fun with Tr3s Lunas!!!

Markus
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 16:22

QUOTE:
its funny, when Moby had great success with his Play album, much attention was drawn to the fact that it was the first album to have every track licensed for advertising/promotional purposes for companies or TV shows as background music. But I think Voyager beat Play to it - Dark Star used to log every appearance of Mike's music in the media, and every track had been used for at least one TV show by about '98. Seems many media industry figures see Mike's music as being very positive for gaining viewer's attention!

Could you give me any more info on the Munich Planetarium - do they always play Mike's music, or is he only occasionally played?

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
markus Offline

Posted: May 27 2002, 17:08

Hi,

Mike's music was used at the Munich planetarium in different shows.
There are music laser shows and astronomy shows.
In one laser show he was one of the main acts beside Vangelis, in another one beside Madonna.
These shows are not played anymore, unfortunately.

I haven't seen recent shows, so I don't know if they play any Oldfield track at the moment.

Markus

Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 05:38

Why isn't he ever played in Australia? Hardly any albums are redily available, and I have never once seen any advertising on TV, radio, billboard, poster, anything! No songs ever played on radio or TV. I would ring up and request a song, but I doubt they would have any! I'm sure he would get played here if he had some advertising.

I'm pretty lucky that my dad had some early MO, because if he hadn't I probably would never have ever heard of him. That would have been awful, having never heard of the guy who would have been you're favourite artist. He really needs some stronger marketing here.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 06:00

Warning: This post is full of Perth-related content.

It's all a matter of being in the wrong place at the right time, or knowing where to look. I've heard Mike's music infrequently (lit: about three/four times in 1.5years) on the television (mainly ABC, but once Channel 7 with a bit from Inc. Part 4). The radio, well, that's another story. With this, you really need to know where to look. 'Moonlight Shadow' gets played quite a bit on 94.5FM, which is a pretty naff station, but the only one I know that plays Mike Oldfield (I haven't heard MS on 1080 6IX yet). They played even MS this afternoon...

You're right about the album availability thing- the only albums I've seen readily available are the WEA ones (TB2 onwards), TBOTB and TB. I saw the two boxes (Omm/OTB/EM and FMO/Cr/HO) once or twice, and then I bought them smile. Interestingly, one of my local CD stores (Sanity, Karrinyup) had a copy of TB in HDCD format, which I hadn't seen before.

I know a few other people my age who have heard of Mike Oldfield, but only one who wasn't introduced by myself/this particular friend. Some of my teachers at school have too- a year and a bit ago I put TB on during a class, and another teacher walked in asking us to turn it down, and also said 'Mike Oldfield? Isn't he dead?' or something like that. I don't think that the other people in the class were impressed with TB either, especially the Piltdown Man section.

Oh well. Perhaps it would all be better if Mike toured here. Well, it'd be better for me. wink
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: May 29 2002, 13:55

I remember when the newest version of the movie "The Exorcist" was released again a few years back (The Version You've Never Seen it was called), i heard Tubular Bells on the radio. it was cool, even if it was just for 15 seconds. it was first time i had ever heard MO on the radio. i've only heard Sentinel on TV (besides TB in The Exoricst).

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 04:21

it would be better if he could actually be bothered to do some advertising here as well. I've never heard and ads for him anywhere. And I heard that he has no plans to release Tr3s Lunas in Australia. I'm annoyed at that.!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: June 06 2002, 06:11

It's not necessarilly Mike not wanting to release Tres Lunas in Australia. More likely, it's the record company, or the Australian branch of the company, not wanting/not planning on distributing it. The last few albums we've had here when they haven't been released in the US (only available on import, I think). However, have the records done well, sold sufficiently to make Warner Australia confident that distributing Tres Lunas will be worth it, economically, to them? Is Mike an artist who is going to shift loads of albums, or should they concentrate on yet another teen-focussed, here-today-gone-tomorrow pop act, or some punk-rip-off/hard-rock-but-with-pop-songs band which could/should shift a number of albums quickly?

It'd make me feel a tad better if Warner's Australian site had an email address I could complain to in the knowledge that the email would get there.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 24 2002, 13:55

its a shame because I live in England and even here Mike never receives any promotion. Had I not been on the internet then I would never have found out about Tres Lunas, and I wouldn't even be aware that Mike is still making albums. I have seen ONE advert, for Guitars, in Q magazine, an advert by Woolworths for TB3, and a Jools Holland performance in 1998. Apart from that, zilch. There are a few reviews in magazines - always insulting and ignorant, the millennium concert was given 1/5 by Q magazine - and occasionally interviews in newspapers about Mike's 'wild past'. But that is the extent of his promotion. WEA do f***-all for him - it feels like a great conspiricy against Mike. The press write vindictive, untrue rubbish about his music, and his record company do absolutely NOTHING to promote him in the UK. Its very, very annoying when you care about an artist's music as much as I do about Mike's.

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since May 26 2002, 14:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net