Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "So fa so", or "So far so"?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2007, 02:19

Personally, I pronounce my 'R's, but I think Brits sometimes drop theirs, no? So, is it just meaningless syllables - "So fa so", or is it "So far so"? And if it's the latter, what is it that's "So far"? Or might it be referencing the phrase "So far so good"?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 02:28

Dont hang me up on this....but isn´t it in zulu - african chanting...so the words are meaningless in english??

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 22 2007, 07:47

It has been suggested that it's solfege syllables, thus so fa so, though of course the solfege doesn't match the actual notes being sung.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 02:04

Ah. Zulu and Solfege - two interesting possibilities that hadn't occurred to me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 23 2007, 18:52

"So" is one of the recurring syllabic words of Amarok (as the first two letters of "SOndela", and of "SOlta" at the very start of Lion, 19'57''; also, repeated in Far Dip under the Morse code, 48:07), another one being of course "Happy?". So I guess that "So fa so" is just a form of vocalization based on "So". In their 2005 transcription, Scot & EeToN wrote it as "So Far So". But I think that if Mike really wanted to include the words "So far" in such a way that they actually made sense, he would've surely made a much better job of it, don't you think? :)

@ Onion: Only the word "Sondela" and what comes after it in the very last section of Amarok are in Xhosa/Zulu. So maybe So Fa So is an Adiemus-style phonetical imitation of Xhosa?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 24 2007, 09:32

First time I heard it I thought it sounded like "arseh*le"!!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2007, 16:16

In sheet music for Elements The best Of Mike Oldfield, the words are written so far. So I guess it's English, although, as we know, SO isn't always followed by FAR and vice versa.

It's a nice piece of sheet music by the way. Bass lines and guitar solos for Moonlight Shadow, To France and other songs are actually notated in their entirety.
Profile PM 
sohfar Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2012, 19:09

Hello Every one..  Ahh Ah Ahh Ah.

I think this link is correct for the spelling of the solfa :-

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaur....-scale.

sohfar

I guess I will have to change my username  :D  Ahh Ah Ahh Ah.

--------------
HEALTH WARNING
This record could be hazardous to the health
of cloth-eared nincompoops. If you suffer from this
condition, consult your Doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
7 replies since July 22 2007, 02:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net