Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Slade "Far Far Away" - For British Heroes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 18:57

Some of you may be familiar with a Facebook page to get Slade's Far Far Away up the charts. The idea is everyone downloads the song on 6th June   http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=246386744486&ref=ts

AS well as promoting "Slade is For Life Not Just Christmas" , it's also raising the fact that British Troops are serving Far Far Away in Afghanistan, and I know they would much rather be at home with families, friends , partners, loved ones etc, than fighting in that stinking hellhole.

JUst wishing our troops a safe return home!!!!

Video promoting Far Far Away- For British Heroes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fiYqcP-Q3w

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:08

I always thought that was their best song...
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 20:57

Some of Slade`s album tracks are superb,and completely different from the vast majority of their singles.Far Far Away was a good one though I agree..Amazing live band as well,even now without Noddy they`re still pretty special.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 18:11

I too have always loved this track. the album was given to me as a child one Christmas , the sondtrack to the film 'flame' if I remember correctly. To this day I have still not seen the film - would love to not sure if you can even still get a copy anywhere-  don't normally jump on the bandwaggon with this Kind of thing but maybe in this case I could make an exception?!
Slade were pretty good.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 20:15

Quote (bee @ Jan. 30 2010, 18:11)
To this day I have still not seen the film - would love to not sure if you can even still get a copy anywhere-

Just search for a torrent. Thanks to Ugo, I'm now a dyed-in-the-wool torrents convert!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2010, 22:21

Love Slade and this song. Remember Come On Feel the Noise? Played that LOUD years ago. Im all for British, Australian and American troops coming home from that bloody war that no one will ever win. Supposed to be a war on drugs and territory. The war in Iraq was a farce, no WMD found. Plenty of oil though. Western democracy isnt the only effective means of Governance. Middle Eastern countries like Afghanistan use tribal codes and work well with their people. Osama is the guy they want in the USA, yet anyone is a target if deemed to be allied with The Taliban or Al Quida. Civilians and soldiers are dying, score nil. Terrorism must be stopped but not by murdering innocent tribal communities to try to get the perpetrators. BRING OUR TROOPS HOME. Deb
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 01:10

Yes I have to agree Deb, what are our troops doing fighting in this bloody war. I don't believe it's to prevent the poppy (heroin/morphine trade), or is it a "war on terror" as Blair & Bush claimed.  If this war was really about fighting terrorism on our streets, then wouldn't it be better to have our soldiers over here stationed at ports, airports and mainline railway stations to prevent suspected terrorists leaving or coming into the country.  No I think the real truth about Afghanistan and Iraq 2 was all about oil.  254 British  soldiers dead in Afghanistan, and  also the toll is much higher when you consider those who come home severely physically or mentally injured.   The Russians tried in Afghanistan & failed, so this is an unwinnable war and not one more drop of British (or any of the coalition forces' nations) blood should be spilled fighting it.
I did read that TRAITOR Brown is on  about paying the Taliban to stop killing British soldiers, DISGUSTING< VILE SICK a travesty to  the British people esp those who have had loved ones killed or injured in Afghanistan.
I just pray that Our Boys & Girls currently serving out there have a safe return home.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 04:07

Hi Moonchild hippy, it seems years since the Vietnam War and the outrage by the population at sending troops tn wars that had no real purpose or threat to the country. It is truly Global these days. Would be nice to be back in the peace loving liberating 60s. I was too young to appreciate it, but it seemed to be a nice time to be a young adult (even as wars raged on). Love all Slade songs, and will sign on 6 June to support the troops, and think of their partners and families waiting for them back home. Deb
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 06:45

Quote (bee @ Jan. 30 2010, 23:11)
I too have always loved this track. the album was given to me as a child one Christmas , the sondtrack to the film 'flame' if I remember correctly. To this day I have still not seen the film - would love to not sure if you can even still get a copy anywhere-  don't normally jump on the bandwaggon with this Kind of thing but maybe in this case I could make an exception?!
Slade were pretty good.

The film is actualy pretty good Bee,and Slade themselves perform their characters pretty well.Because they set the film in the 60`s the music from Flame is kind of half Slade and half Beatles pastisches.But then they were always influenced by The Beatles anyway,Far Far Away is a good example of that for me.Hmmm, maybe some Kinks in there as well thinking about it.The first rock biography I ever read as a kid was on Slade,and it ended at that film if I remember rightly.They were a massive influence themselves of course on people as diverse as Nirvana,Kiss and Oasis.Even today whenever I walk into a fairground my memory somehow always takes me back to hearing Slade being blasted through the P.A. of the waltzer.That big lumbering rolling bass sound,and Noddy screaming his head off.God they were loud,and for a time in the late 70`s/early 80`s they got even louder.One of the few bands for me whose live albums are absolutely essential.All of their albums were remastered a couple of years back with bonus material etc.They did a fantastic job on them actualy and they`re usualy pretty cheap to buy.Not sure on the availability of the movie though.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 07:23

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 31 2010, 06:45)
Even today whenever I walk into a fairground my memory somehow always takes me back to hearing Slade

Ha ha Dirk - did you ever "do it in the ghost train for a dare"?  :D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 11:00

I think the Ghost Train round our way lasted about a minute,tops...What would I do for the other 55 seconds?  :p
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 13:22

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 30 2010, 20:15)
Just search for a torrent. Thanks to Ugo, I'm now a dyed-in-the-wool torrents convert!

:)
just search for a torrent!....you make me laugh nightspore....I wouldn't know what a torrent was if it came and shook me by the hand!!! And then I wouldn't know what to do with it! Asking me to do that would be like asking me to take a jet engine apart and reconstruct it!! I live with my head in the clouds I am afraid :p

but, now you have said that the seed of an idea has been planted in my mind and one day I WILL get hold of a copy.

And I hadn't thought about them being influential before but they have been but in a very understated way. And noddy holder ( and probably the rest of them though I have never seen them interviewed ) seems such a nice chap.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 16:28

I remember hearing Noddy Holder being interviewed on the radio once.And he was talking about touring America,(where of course they remained  comparitively unknown really) and he`d been having problems with a sore throat for a while.Which from memory I think may have resulted in an operation possibly.Anyway he goes to see a doctor over there and he asks him "Well what do you sound like when your singing onstage" And Noddy says back to him "Well it goes a little something like this.... BABY,BABY,BAAAA-BEE" And the doctor practicaly falls out of his chair in total shock,hilarious.

I`ve never really heard Slade themselves talk about it,although they well may have I don`t know?But Kiss in their early days were practicaly Slade note for note.Which I`m sure given their lack of success Stateside must have wrangled with them a fair bit.They were always told "They were too British sounding" They even lived out there for a couple of years 75/76 and made an attempt at a more radio friendly American sound to no avail.And then of course by the time they came back home their time was pretty much over.Until their re-birth kind of when they completely stole the show at the Reading festival in 1980.Kurt Cobain often mentioned their influence in interviews he was certainly a big fan.Some of their albums from the late 70`s in particular,when they started to become more "riff-based" have something of a grunge element to them imo.Oasis were probably more obvious really.And The Wonderstuff,Miles Hunt even had a tartan suit that was just like Noddy`s.They did some complete rubbish as well mind.I have no idea to this very day what the hell posessed them to do the Okey Cokey?And the fact that somebody then decided years later that it should go on their 4cd box set retrospective so we could still "shake it all about" today was even more unbelievable.

One thing I always remember from their biography is that after Don Powell`s near fatal car crash in 1973,in which his girlfriend was tragicaly killed.Don always suffered afterwards from memory loss,occasional blackouts and he lost his sense of taste and smell.Apparently he would often let one go on the tour bus and it would`nt bother him in the slightest.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 19:10

Quote (bee @ Jan. 31 2010, 13:22)
Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 30 2010, 20:15)

:)
just search for a torrent!....you make me laugh nightspore....I wouldn't know what a torrent was if it came and shook me by the hand!!! And then I wouldn't know what to do with it! Asking me to do that would be like asking me to take a jet engine apart and reconstruct it!! I live with my head in the clouds I am afraid :p

but, now you have said that the seed of an idea has been planted in my mind and one day I WILL get hold of a copy.

And I hadn't thought about them being influential before but they have been but in a very understated way. And noddy holder ( and probably the rest of them though I have never seen them interviewed ) seems such a nice chap.

Hi Bee,

Ugo showed me how simple torrents really are. All you have to do is go to www.vuze.com and download the vuze client. Then, once you have installed it, you simply put "slade flame" into the search window. I've just done this, and you'll see that the film is at the head of the list, with a healthy number of "seeds" and "peers" (this tells you there's a good chance that you'll be able to download the file quickly). Then, when you have downloaded the movie, simply watch it with one of the many media browsers around!
Profile PM 
13 replies since Jan. 29 2010, 18:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net