Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Single remixes suggestions..., how to make it a hit...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mige Iranzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 21 2002, 16:27

What do you think must be the singles of the album?

I think it would be perfect this:

1st single, the "sentinel" piece, with Pumpin'Dolls plebby remixes (to make it a radio hit) and Kevorkians remixes with a 80' elektro style...
2nd single, "the bell" piece, with The Orb house-ambient remixes (to make it a worth listening electronic piece) and Detroit style techno remixes by Underground Resistance (Co0l!)
3rd single, the "maya gold" piece, please, don't remix this one!!! Put in the single live versions or demos (hoover piece anyone?)...

What do you think?

--------------
ßøîñG ßøøM T§¢Hãk
Profile PM WEB 
Tokimemo Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 03:22

No remixes!!! IMHO Ibiza is the worst influence in Mike's music ever!!! (Voyager, TB3 (except Secrets, FATC and Moonwatch), TMB and 3 Lunas... Those are 'lost' years). There nothing that connects that remixes with Mike's work.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 13:31

I doubt there will be singles released from TB2003, I suppose they could do what they did for the original and release the intro riff but I doubt it will go beyond that.

I've heard loads of remixes/cover versions of that famous opening riff and none of them to my ears have gone anywhere near doing it justice. It would be hard to know what to do with it if you were doing a cover version/remix because in a way it is so perfect already that you are alway's going to be second best. It would actually be more interesting to take one of the other themes from part one and do something with it, I suppose I could think of a few people who could approach it with sympathy. Mike's old pal Steve Hillage who although admitadly did a shit remix of Woman of Ireland has done some great dance music, try him for one.

ps The Orb as far as I know have long since split up.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 23 2002, 17:12

I suppose that whether any singles get released would depend on the amount that the record company wants to promote the album.

Knowing their current direction, there'll probably be some pumpin' dolls style remixes which will get released in Spain and nowehere else, while the rest of the world is struggling to even get hold of the album, but maybe I'm wrong here ;)

I'd imagine that buyers would almost expect a single to have the opening piano line - after all, to a lot of people, that line IS Tubular Bells. That might be a very good reason to release something different of course, but it would have to be something that'll grab people enough to make them want to buy it.

As for Ibiza being a bad influence on Mike...yes, in some ways - it did end up in him taking all sorts of drugs which could have ended his career at least a couple times. As for musical examples...I'd not personally say that Voyager was influenced by Ibiza - rather by a combination of Mike's Irish past and record company suggestions. It was recorded in England, only the cover was taken in Ibiza. On TB3, meanwhile, I'd say that some of the heaviest Ibiza influence is in Secrets/FATC...
Guitars had nothing to do with Ibiza, but I'd not say it was any better than TB3.
I think it's more that Mike got caught up in Ibizan culture at a time when he was changing direction anyway. In fact, a lot of what fans dislike about his work now isn't really down to change at all - his extensive use of computers, for example, is something he's been doing for the past 20 years or so (Tom Newman complained about it, in relation to making Amarok).

We'll soon see what direction he'll go in next, though...perhaps some of us will be surprised.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Dec. 21 2002, 16:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net