Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Singers in FMO< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 21 2000, 16:00

Can anyone please tell me if there are other (uncredited) singers on Five Miles Out [the album], in addition to Mike and Maggie Reilly? In particular, whose voice is that going through the vocoder in the title track and in Orabidoo? It does neither sound like Mike's nor like Maggie's voice...And who is the other woman chanting [see Lyrics and Language forum, topic "Another chant..."] in Taurus 2? Sounds very like Maddy Prior...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2000, 18:18

I always believed that the voice that chants on that part of Taurus II is vocoded. My guess is that it's just Mike's voice as the 'Modulator' and a female vocal sample, perhaps from a Fairlight CMI (did he have one then?) as the 'Carrier'. If you don't know what I'm on about, I can explain...
Just my thought - it certainly has an unusual processed sound.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 22 2000, 19:32

Originally posted by Korgscrew:
My guess is that it's just Mike's voice as the 'Modulator' and a female vocal sample, perhaps from a Fairlight CMI (did he have one then?) as the 'Carrier'. If you don't know what I'm on about, I can explain...

Yes, please, explain...although I own a keyboard/synth, I don't know anything about what you are talking about...

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 22 2000, 19:36

By the way, Korgscrew... as you have such a fine ear when it comes to understanding strange lyrics (cfr. the HR chant), can you give me a hand on the lyrics of THIS chant?
[The TII one: see "Another chant..." in Lyrics & Language and post you reply there, if you want... smile]

P.S.: It's called "Radio Broadcast" I and II in the Amarok Player tracklist. I wonder why!! confused

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 05-22-2000).]

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 02 2000, 17:26

It is certainly Mike's voice on Orabidoo, the vocoded voice!

I think I know how Mike did it. He had used a Roland VP-330 vocoder synth, and I think he used it on "Orabidoo".

I didn't know you could do voice vocorders on the Fairlight. Also, Mike had the Fairlight on FMO already. He bought it in the early 80's.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 02 2000, 19:30

This is starting to get into Tubular Tech territory, but I'll answer here anyway. It goes something like this...

The vocoder uses two signals, the carrier and the modulator and imparts the characteristics of one (the modulator) onto the sound of the other (the carrier). These can be any audio signal.
The classic MO vocoded sound (as found on Sheba and many others) would be using a basic synth sound (probably an internal sound generated by the vocoder) as the carrier, with his voice being used as the modulator to make that sound 'sing' (creating that robot voice sound). But, they are more versatile than that...Mount Teide, has a vocoded sound with a strummed guitar as the modulator, at the beginning of the track. This section of Taurus 2 seems to have a sound with a vocal sound being used as the carrier and Mike's voice used as the modulator. In that way, he's managed to sing using somebody else's voice.
It's odd you should say it sounds like Maddy Prior - I was thinking that it sounded a bit like the 'Aaaaaahhh' bit from the beginning of Incantations. There would certainly be a nice long section of the vocal sound there for him to have sampled into his CMI (if that's how he did it). Who knows...

BlueDolphin - The Fairlight CMI can't vocode things itself, but it's output can, like any other audio signal, be fed into the vocoder. Feed it into the carrier input and you get a singing Fairlight...

Just my theory, anyway.

I'll have a think about the lyrics.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 05 2000, 09:14

Wowowowow... Take it easy boys wink ! I don't understand anything in synth... but thank a lot for this ! smile

First, Orabidoo :
To my ears, even vocoded, I can recognize Maggie Reilly voice in Orabidoo. No ?
And when you know that a lot of music in 5MO were composed by all the band (see the LP credits and 5MO spech in The Complete LP)...

About the "Radio Broadcast...Announcement" :
1) I think it's the same voice than Orabidoo, so I think this is Maggie.
2) In my Amarok Player Tracklist (Picture CD, UK CD, or anything) it's called "Radio Announcement" and not "Broadcast". The subtitles in APTracklist are Pilot Jargon : Radio Announcement, Approching, Manoeuvre etc... Radio Announcement is when you call Control saying your id, like Golf Mike Oscar Victor Juliet wink. In the first annoucement, you often call Control saying the whole ID (ex: Fox - Golf Fox Romeo Juliet) and after you usually only say the two last id (Romeo Juliet). A good example is in FMO : "The traffic controller is calling/Victor Juliet your identity". This is a Radio Announcement.
3)Question : This melody is telling me something... I don't know, that's maybe I listen too much Oldfield smile
Well, just for fun, I know that this melody has been sung by Michele Torr, a 1980' French "Popular" Female Singer...(Yuck ! She was not good enough for my grandmother !)French fans will have a huge laugh reading this but I promise this is true !!!!

And finnaly FMO :
IMHO, the vocoded voice is Mike'one here.

Cheers to all
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: June 05 2000, 10:18

You're right GMOVJ, Michelle Torr sang it. It's called, if my memory is good : 'Donne moi ta main, donne moi ton amour' (in english : 'Gimme your hand, gimme your love' ). Do you know how to get it in a cheap way ?
But seriously...about REAL FMO singers. Have you seen the 'Five Miles Out' video clip from 'The Wind Chimes' video ? Who is that blond female singer ? It's surely not Maggie Reilly !

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2000, 17:51

This is getting complicated, so I stick to the original question: The vocoded voice on FMO (title track) is surely Mike's. When he roars "...coming in now for the kill!!!", that's like piltdown man. The blonde girl in the video is IMHO just a model. The voice is Maggie's.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 06 2000, 03:57

Hi fans !

- wink To Vinz : No, I don't know how to get this Michel Torr record ... I'll try, just for fun and for my collection of covers (2 full CD now...), and if I get it, I'll post a message.
- cool To Ugo : To answear first question, again, I don't think there're uncredited singers in 5MO [the album]. See previous message to know my opinion about who's singing what.
- cool To Carsten : Thanx to agree with me !

- confused To Olivier : What about a Five Miles Out Topic in the Album, I thing there's enough message now isn't it ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 06 2000, 14:43

I'd be pretty sure as well that it's Mike's voice that's going through the vocoder on Five Miles Out (the song) and Orabidoo, but it might not matter, as his voice would only be providing the words (being the modulator if we want to go back to that...). The actual tone of the voice comes from the synth (and lets face it, the voice is pretty heavily disguised - it's not even that easy to tell what the words are)...So, it could just about be anyone, but it's fairly likely that it's Mike. I agree with Carsten that the screamed bit ("You're a prisoner of the dark sky..." etc) is also Mike. I'd imagine it's him who sings "Just hold you're heading true" as well.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 06:12

I doubt that Mike sings "just hold your heading true". The guy singing it seems to have an accent other than British. Maybe Indian, I'm not sure.

I agree however, that it's probably him singing the "prisoner of the dark sky". I don't think that "coming in now for the kill" was with the piltdown man technique though, it just sounds like Mike at regular speed. "Lost in static 18" however, was probably slowed down.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 08:30

I'm pretty sure that "just hold your heading true" is by MO. You can easily recognize his voice (e.g. Gimme back)... No ?
The strange accent :
- well I'm not british nor australian, so I don't ear any strange accent, just a english accent wink
- you know that before HO, MO was a hem... not-bad-but-not-perfect singer and his natural way of expressing himself is guitars. So he may used to have to shout a bit, to "force his voice", (well you surely hear this...) and that may explain the indian accent ?

Why would they had :
- use 3 singer on one song ?
- give no credit to this hypothetic 3rd singer ?

And even KorgScrew-Mulder is agree !!! biggrin joke, don't take it badly...

I'm not a sound engineer, so I will not discuss others subjects that Rosko introduce, but I would read with interest.

Cheers and respect, GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 16:58

Originally posted by Korgscrew:
It's odd you should say it sounds like Maddy Prior - I was thinking that it sounded a bit like the 'Aaaaaahhh' bit from the beginning of Incantations.

Well, Korgscrew... that WAS sung by Maddy Prior and Sally Oldfield...wasn't it? smile

Sorry for answering such a long time after you posted your message. I only saw it right now.

--------------
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2000, 18:39

FMO/TAURUS II: I must admit there's probably a mystery here. Let's summarize:
1) We're talking about FMO 16:47 to 19:59, the "Sana Rosana" chant.
2) GMOVJ states that it's Maggie [end of discussion]. But I am not so sure. Since only Mike and Maggie are credited on FMO, it could be an uncredited singer(!)
3) Ugo states there are similarities to Incantations. (I agree.)
4) Korgscrew states it's similar to the "Aaahhh" from the very beginning. (I disagree, and I also think that is a tape loop FX, not a real singer.)
5) So it could be Sally, Maddy Prior, or s.o. from The Queens College Girls Choir.
6) It's not Sally. I think Sally sings on (the famous) Incantations IV, and that's different.
7) I think it's similar to the Diana chant.
8) Ugo states it's Maddy Prior.
-------------------------------------------
SO:
Who sings "Sana Rosana", and who sings "Diana", and is that the same person, and if yes, is it Maddy Prior?
(And who is Maddy Prior?) -phuh!-Carsten-
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: June 09 2000, 04:43

For those who really want to know who is Maddy Prior, take a look at this url : http://www.gaudela.net/prior/

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 09 2000, 06:12

Hi

In Taurus 2, about 16:47 to 19:59, the "Sana Rosana" chant aka "Radio Announcement".

Some says that maybe Maddy Prior, uncredited, sings it.

-> If we look at the inner sleeve of the LP, we see a big recording track listing, full of color, maybe made by Mike (Design by MO says the sleeve and Picture by Coulson).
We often see in words as "Strings", "Drums", "snare", "oboe" "vocoder", "Echo-Eko", "HeartBeat", some heart drawing" but also "Morris Men", "Morris Strings" (Morris Pert plays Percussion, Keyboards), "Maggie" (Maggie Reilly sings) "Mag", "Mag Vox", but we never see "Maddy" or "Bridget" or "Sally".

Does someone has this LP like me ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 11 2000, 07:32

You've got to be kidding about the "Sana Rosana" chant. It's definately Maggie with a slight vocoder effect. Nobody can convince me otherwise.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 12 2000, 17:49

Yikes...so much has been said...

rosko: I don't really think any of the voices on the song FMO have been speed/pitch changed drastically, but perhaps slightly - that's debatable.
The accent sounds British enough to me and...well...I should know really wink It's common for British people to sing in a 'Mid Atlantic' accent, though, and this can lead to all sorts of strange things...It certainly doesn't sound Indian to me, and I know a few Indian singers...

Carsten: I agree that the Incantations thing was a tape loop (went through enough to get there...), which would make it an easy target for grabbing a small amount of voice for vocoding. I'm suggesting that this is the origin for the voice, rather than it was actually sung by that person, and it all revolves around the way I believe the vocoder has been used here...

rosko(2nd time): Maggie's voice is much lighter than the one that sings that part. But, of course, it depends on exactly what you mean by a 'slight vocoder effect' (e.g. what other things are going into the box as well as Maggie's voice). But if nothing will convince you, it doesn't really matter what I say wink

Perhaps it's just Mike with a clamp round his...erm, no, I don't think it's that...

Profile PM 
stig Offline

Posted: June 29 2000, 21:21

My parents are good friends with
Maddy Prior.. she lives about 10 mins
from us, next time she is here i will ask
her if she sang on five miles out?

Okay? Problem Solved.
Profile PM 
36 replies since May 21 2000, 16:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net