Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: SImilarities w/ TB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pikalcazar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 16:11

Hi all:

Possibly this record has more similarities with TB than other ones. For example, the start of the 2nd track in both albums. Do you know more similarities?

Thanks for your opinion.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 20:08

Could you compare the Thunderstorm in Part Two, or the effects of it compared to the rest of the part, with the Piltdown Man in Part Two of Tubular Bells? They are both somewhat detatched from what has happened before the section, plus there is some build-up into the section. Not music-wise, but maybe effect-wise, you could compare the Thunderstorm with the Piltdown Man.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2001, 02:53

I think most obvious is the bass solo on Hergest Ridge Part one around 13:20, which resembles Tubular Bells final.
However just listen a few seconds before that. You can hear a girl voice, bells, e-guitar, bass, banjo... what really is spooky, that this is almost the same as the Tubular Bells finish, but in in a distorted, somehow tragical way. It sounds like a painful remberance, somehow.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 12 2001, 15:45

There's a bit in the Hergest Ridge 'thunderstorm' that's lifted from underneath I think the first distorted guitar solo in Tubular Bells. I don't have exact timings or anything, but it shouldn't be too hard to find (either that or I'll go get a guitar and play it to you wink)
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 03:12

BTW.. I would appreciate the latter, Korgscrew!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 17:55

Well...it can be arranged... wink

Anyway, take a listen to TB part 1 at roughly 5:56. The bass is playing a little riff (it actually doesn't play under the solo like I said before, although the chords underneath that are slightly reminiscent of the 'thunderstorm', especially the rhythm they're played in). Compare that to what you hear at 11:57 in HR part 2.

Another little similarity I can see is that he used the 'taped motor drive amplifier organ chord' again, in the original mix (it comes in around 7:43 I think). It doesn't really work as well there - sounds a bit like they went "Ah, let's do that again - worked nicely in Tubular Bells". Just the rise in pitch isn't very even and it just ends up sounding a bit comical...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 18:05

Another little thing...

The thunderstorm seems like an evolution, idea wise, of the 'Guitars sounding like bagpipes' - it's taking the idea of layering guitars and building on it a bit more. The end of this little evolutionary sequence was the beginning of Ommadawn part 2, of course...
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 30 2001, 16:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net