Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Sigur Rós! Sigur Rós! Sigur Rós! Sigur Rós!, Sigur Rós! Sigur Rós! Sigur Rós!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 16:18

Haunting words in Icelandic or even made up, huge walls of sound of electric guitar, heartbreaking melodies on an echoing piano....it sounds like as if someone could grab hold of pure emotion and record it as music.

The first time I've heard genuinely breathtaking music since I heard Amarok for the first time.

Check out www.sigur-ros.com and you can hear their new album, ( ). I cannot stress how beautiful this music is. If you haven't heard them then you really are missing out, the same way you would be if you'd never discovered Mike...

Oliver, having fun at University...

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 16:42

I agree with you, Oliver: Sigur Rós are great. But AFAIK they have always sung in Icelandic, they never made anything up. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 18:28

Hi Ugo!

Their new album, ( ), features lyrics in 'Hopelandic' - which is just jónsi emoting with his voice and producing pleasing sounds rather than meaningful words. If you haven't got the new album yet, get it - its too soon to tell, but to my ears it could well be the equal of ágætis byrjun...also, do you have their first album, Von? I haven't heard it and I wonder how good it is?

oh, and all about ( ), from the band's official site:
------------------
about the album
( ) comprises eight untitled songs which sigur rós have been playing at concerts in the past 2-3 years. a 30 second period of silence divides the 71 minute album in two halves, each half containing four tracks. the first half is light and optimistic while the second half is bleaker and more melancholic, "plays more with your emotions", as jónsi worded it. there is some experimentation of instruments in the first half of the album, with some sampling of jónsi's voice and more emphasis on keyboard than guitar (drummer orri plays keyboard on tracks 1 and 3). there is more of the typical guitar, bass and drums line-up on the second half, jónsi bowing guitar as usually.

comparing ( ) to the band's last album, ágætis byrjun, it can be described as more minimalistic and atmospheric than its predessessor. it's a rawer and darker album and considerably less accessible than ágætis byrjun; drum beats are usually slow (tracks 1 and 3 are drum-free) and the songs take their time to progress into the trademark sigur rós emotional climaxes, making for a more challenging but more rewarding listen. with its intense highs and lows and its mood ranging from brittle to brutal, ( ) is very much a headphone album.

the album's entire packaging is completely free of text and markings. you won't find album credits or tracklistings anywhere on the album. the only thing representing the album is jónsi's handwriting of "sigur rós" on the front cover and a symbol cut out in the slipcase most accurately described as a pair of parentheses, or two semi-circles. the symbol can be interpreted as either an emphasis on the album's untitle (the listener is free to make up his/her own title since there is essentially none) or an emphasis on the division of the album, the two semi-circles symbolizing the album's two halves. or maybe it doesn't "mean" anything. every listener is of course free to make up their own mind.

there are no lyrics on the album. jónsi sings in the made-up "language" which the band calls hopelandic. this is of course not really a language in that sense, since it is essentially just babbling vocals that fit with the music, like another instrument. since there are no lyrics, the listener is invited to write in or illustrate his/her own interpretations of the songs onto the blank pages in the album's 12-page booklet. sigur-ros.com will have an interactive feature where fans can send in their own lyrics and a computer program will recognise the most common words and phrases and form the actual lyrics.

artwork on the album (which is basically just the image inside the parentheses and the spreads in the booklet) is based on photographs the band took outside their studio in álafoss, which they have manipulated and distorted to their liking. the images are close-ups of natural elements such as grass, bushes and ponds. four different versions of the album's packaging will be distriubted around the world, one in each of the following regions of the world: europe, america, australia and japan. iceland won't have its own special packaging but all four versions will be available to buy there. there are different images inside the brackets for each region and the spreads will also differ.

( ) is the first sigur rós album which was recorded in the band's converted swimming pool studio in álafoss, mosfellsbær (a small rural town located near reykjavík). the band calls this studio 'sundlaugin', or 'the pool'. the album was produced by sigur rós and engineered by ken thomas, who was also their engineer on ágætis byrjun. on the majority of the album the band is accompanied by the string quartet amina, which comprises four icelandic young women. ( ) was mixed at peter gabriel's real world studios and mastered at abbey road studios.

the first single/ep of ( ) will be track 1. for b-sides, the band plans to record the revamped live versions of von and hafssól (from 1997's von) in their studio. njósnavélin is the radio promo, so that's the first song you're going to hear on the radio. work on a video to vaka has already begun.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2002, 04:56

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 05 2002, 22:42)
I agree with you, Oliver: Sigur Rós are great. But AFAIK they have always sung in Icelandic, they never made anything up. ;)

hmmmm, and ?

did Mike let "his" vocalists ever sing a non-english tune?
pseudo-languages and word-flakes not implied ?

and: no, I don't count in "Pacha Mama", too.....

;)

ciaoo,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2003, 18:25

One last bump to bring this band to the attention of a few more people...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2003, 19:37

I correct myself over my latest post in this topic...

Having listened a great deal to ( ) lately, I'm finally convinced that all the words in that album have absolutely no meaning, and this makes it even greater than it might have been if they meant anything.  :)  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2003, 14:46

Staralfur MP3

Svefn G Englar MP3

Full mp3s to download. Feedback appreciated - I can't believe this topic has been looked at 62 times and no more people have responded  :/

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2003, 14:48

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but they're releasing a NEW album this year, Hlemmur, which is an electronic soundtrack to an Icelandic documentary about a bus shelter and the homeless people who live there. Apparently it's very good but all of the tracks are fairly short and people wish they had been longer. It has been on sale on merchandise stalls on their recent tour, but isn't widely released until later in the year.

Also there are rumours that their debut album Von, which is currently only available in Iceland, is to be released worldwide. Yay!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 18:45

Hallo again, Oliver. Sorry for replying late, but I only came back here some days ago.

I have both of the tracks you have upped the mp3s of. Some time ago I was lucky enough to find an Italian CD single of 'Svefn-g-englar' containing 'Staralfur' as a B-side. ;)
I think that both songs are very beautiful. When I heard 'Svefn-g-englar' for the first time, it was on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack, and back then I thought that SR were very interesting as a group, but they weren't very good players. I had to change my mind completely after I heard ( ). :)

P.S.: I think Von means One in Icelandic. They really do like using numbers as titles, don't they? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 11:44

I didn't know what Von meant. Actually all of the songs on () have titles, because they have all been played live. It's just the names don't appear in the booklet!

I first heard of them in 2001 when I saw them live at Radiohead's South Park festival. They were unbelievable, and I meant to get AB back then but forgot about them. Then about November last year, I saw it in a sale and just bought it instantly. Put it on, turned out the light and drifted away. I was lucky enough to see them live again in February. Unbelievable. My friend closed her eyes during one of the first songs and I said 'don't fall asleep' and she said 'i'm not, it just helps me concentrate on the music more'!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 18:04

Quote (Man In The Rain @ Mar. 23 2003, 17:44)
Actually all of the songs on () have titles, because they have all been played live. It's just the names don't appear in the booklet!

...Well, Oliver, the text that you quoted in one of your previous messages here contains the following line:

'( ) comprises eight untitled songs which sigur rós have been playing at concerts in the past 2-3 years.'

Doesn't this mean that the songs never had titles? Not even in live performances? :) Plus, I remember reading a statement from the singer, somewhere, saying that he gave no titles to the tracks because he used to refer to specific songs on a CD by using just numbers ('Check out Track 5', etc), when listening to CDs with friends.

Anyway, if you say that the tracks in ( ) really do have titles, please tell me what they are, if you know them. And, if possible, also what the titles mean. ;)

P.S.: 'Von' really means 'One' in Icelandic, and it's used colloquially to mean 'First'. A friend who studied Icelandic told me this. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2003, 19:52

That text that I quoted was the official press release. However, all of the songs have titles, that came from set-lists that fans have obtained from concerts where the songs have been performed:

1) Vaka
2) Fyrsta
3) Samskeyti
4) Njósnavélin
5) Alafoss
6) E-bow
7) The Death Song
8) Popplagið (The Pop Song)

And no, not being Icelandic I cannot tell you what most of them mean  :/

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 26 2003, 13:56

I also tried and I like it.  :)

I found the following video, it's great, it really touched me:
http://www.revolverfilms.com/sigurros/sigur_ros.mov
(about 70MB)

And by the way, Von means 'Hope' in Icelandic.  :p
12 replies since Nov. 05 2002, 16:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net