Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Signed TB Ultimate Edition on sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2009, 13:19

Matt & amarok90 you can count me in for the support group idea.I managed to smuggle my copy of the new TB into the house yesterday afternoon while the wife was still at work.I thought to myself if I can get it onto part 2 before she comes in through the door then with any luck she`d be none the wiser.Anyway the plan worked like a dream and I was at least halfway through the second part when she came walking into the room.."Urgh Tubular Bells" she muttered almost immediatly..I guess she knows it a lot better than I thought..I think maybe she secretly likes it you know!?..    :p
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2009, 00:02

Quote (Ommadawn59 @ June 14 2009, 11:08)
@ korgscrew: What do you think: Can we expect a B-Sides/Rarities CD in the future or should we convince Mike/Universal to include Froggy on HR Deluxe Edition? (As it was 1974 prior to he release of HR).
Same for all B-Sides/Rarities to be included on future Deluxe Editios, if never a single Rarities CD will show up?

Well...

The rapid sales of the signed ultimate edition took them by surprise a bit, and it proved something - that there's a strong demand for more collector orientated material. I don't know of any definite plans (other than the possibility of a more comprehensive release of the 1979 tour recordings), but it was mentioned that they might consider doing things which are aimed at a smaller nice (like hardcore fans) if they know they can sell 500.

So...I think there might be some room for persuasion there. I reckon we could sell 1000 copies of a rarities collection with little problem, just promoting through fan channels. Selling it through somewhere other than loudclothing.com would probably improve its chances further...

I imagine they'll want to keep some kind of less commonly heard material back for including in deluxe editions of the albums, assuming they think it's worth their while continuing with them. I'm not sure that the plans beyond Exposed are at all detailed at the moment (and even up to there, I think they're a bit hazy). I think there's probably room for both, though - even with Tubular Bells, there are various related items that didn't make it onto any of the various CD or digital editions, like you've already noted. I think there are probably going to be certain things which will make a nice package along with albums and other things which would be better left for a rarities compilation...but without knowing exactly what things they've got available to them for releasing, it's hard to say much more than that.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 02:41

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 14 2009, 13:19)
Matt & amarok90 you can count me in for the support group idea.I managed to smuggle my copy of the new TB into the house yesterday afternoon while the wife was still at work.I thought to myself if I can get it onto part 2 before she comes in through the door then with any luck she`d be none the wiser.Anyway the plan worked like a dream and I was at least halfway through the second part when she came walking into the room.."Urgh Tubular Bells" she muttered almost immediatly..I guess she knows it a lot better than I thought..I think maybe she secretly likes it you know!?..    :p

Same thing here too.My wife doesn’t like Tubular Bells. And she hates Hergest Ridge part two and all kind of stuff like that. But two of my daughters just LOVE Mike’s music as I do. There is still hope in the world…  :p
Profile PM 
neildmanthorpe Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 05:02

Unsigned box finally arrived this morning.  Still don't think it is good enough - 7 days after the album was released.  Note to Mercury - don't use this bunch again for distribution.

Put the "remix" on the old tin box - find it difficult to hear what is different - seems crisper in places and more definition of the individual instruments.  Perhaps I should replace the tin box with a proper CD player - or win one from Richer Sounds!  Or perhaps it is my old tin ears!!

As a fan since the mid-70s - I was only 10 when TB first appeared - I like the box for the memories it brings.  Not sure it is worth the price though.  Will think about boxes for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, but very unlikely to buy anything similar for later albums.

Like the idea of a rarities/outtakes album - MO missed a trick back with "Elements" which to me was a disappointment.

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese .........
Profile PM 
maccafan Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 05:19

Anybody as dissapointed with me on the DVD footage, seems to be a slighly different TB & background we see just going round & round all the time. Apart from the last buit of footage which Sky Arts re broadcast about a month ago & I* have on my Sky+ box now.

Marcus
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:49

Quote (Ommadawn59 @ June 14 2009, 13:08)
got my box from amazon germany (unsigned). Still waiting for the signed one. (as the ultimate edition is limited anyway, I keep an additional copy for spare).
BTW the download version includes the "Boxed" mixes aswell, however not the Sailor's Hornpipe long version.
So what's missing IMHO in the ultimate edition is:
The Sailor's Hornpipe Boxed version
Aircraft noise from quadro and picture disc version
Froggy Went A Courting both 7" versions

@ korgscrew: What do you think: Can we expect a B-Sides/Rarities CD in the future or should we convince Mike/Universal to include Froggy on HR Deluxe Edition? (As it was 1974 prior to he release of HR).
Same for all B-Sides/Rarities to be included on future Deluxe Editios, if never a single Rarities CD will show up?

This has always been a mystery to me: the aircraft noise on tubular bells.

I have TB on picture vinyl, and the Boxed versions both on LP and CD edition, but I can't hear that aircraft noise! Maybe I'm not listening right. In which part can it be heard?

Also, it sounds to me that the TB picture vinyl contains the Boxed mix. Am I right?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 07:42

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 15 2009, 12:49)
Also, it sounds to me that the TB picture vinyl contains the Boxed mix. Am I right?

@ Blue Dolphin: yes, you are right - the mix on the picture disc is the Boxed mix, but there is no aircraft noise in it. It's supposed to be the noise of a model aircraft flying around (which as far as I know sounds just like a mechanical whirr, nothing else) and it's supposed to be heard at the very end of Side/Part 2, after the Hornpipe. It was (always AFAIK) on the very first issue of TB's quad mix; evidently it was removed from the Boxed mix.

@ Ommadawn59: the Boxed mix of "Sailor's Hornpipe" is the same as the so-called "Drunk Hornpipe" (which is featured in the box) without the foot-stamping section which includes Viv Stanshall's narration. It was also featured on The Platinum Collection.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:16

Quote (Ugo @ June 15 2009, 13:42)
@ Blue Dolphin: yes, you are right - the mix on the picture disc is the Boxed mix, but there is no aircraft noise in it. It's supposed to be the noise of a model aircraft flying around (which as far as I know sounds just like a mechanical whirr, nothing else) and it's supposed to be heard at the very end of Side/Part 2, after the Hornpipe. It was (always AFAIK) on the very first issue of TB's quad mix; evidently it was removed from the Boxed mix.

AFAIK the TB picture disc doesn't include the Boxed mix but the first pseudoquad mix and the aircraft sound at the end is included (I don't know if it is in all the copies but surely it is in some).
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:19

That's just a wee bit inaccurate about the "Drunken Hornpipe", Ugo.  Surely you're aware that the version that appears on the new box is a remix, not the original that appears on "Boxed".  That's what Ommadawn59 was referring to.

Thanks to this most recent mix, I think new MO collectors are going to be a little confused when facing the Hornpipe Saga.

:laugh:

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 10:42

Quote (Spinne @ June 15 2009, 16:16)
Quote (Ugo @ June 15 2009, 13:42)

AFAIK the TB picture disc doesn't include the Boxed mix but the first pseudoquad mix and the aircraft sound at the end is included (I don't know if it is in all the copies but surely it is in some).

I gave my tubular bells picture vinyl a spin and tried to listen to the aircraft noise, but I didn't hear any (to avoid confusing, I did listen the part after the Sailor's Hornpipe).

But I have another copy of the TB picture vinyl. I will listen to it this evening...

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ommadawn59 Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:20

@ Ugo, Spinne and Blue Dolphin and Bassman
Well, the aicraft noise is included on QV2001 (Quadrelease) and some copies of VP2001 (Picture Disc release). At the end of side 2 just about 30 seconds.
The Sailor's Hornpipe on Boxed lasts 3:55 minutes. Actually when Viv said goodnight, we get the instrumental Sailor's hornpipe version slightly different mix attached.
Drunk hornpipe on Ultimate (download version) is 2:53 minutes.
So we have
1)TSH Original version from V2001 (without Viv, about 1:36)
2)TSH Boxed version from VBOX1 and SACD TB (with Viv, about 3:55)
3)TSH Ultimate version (with Viv, about 2:53

The Platinum Collection features the standard version 1:36.
The Elements Box even features the standard version twice.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:25

Thanks for that Ommadawn59!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:34

The 'Boxed' set does not contain the airplane effect. At the same time as the 'Boxed' release in the UK, a different surround mix was released (primarily in the US, AFAIK).
It was in the Compatible Discrete - 4 Channel (CD-4) format.
This was the mix that had the airplane. The effect came in after the Sailor's Hornpipe, and it was Mike and others in a large room playing with a model airplane, the echoing sound of which went around the four main speakers.

There were four different competeing formats fighting out for dominance in the quad format "wars" (CD-4, QS, SQ and UD4)
As is so often the case, none of them were accepted, and quad died a quick death (a la DVD-A vs. SACD).
The ' Boxed' set quad mix was in SQ.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 11:57

Thanks for the information Pat. Now I have to find a TB quad (QVS2001) edition on ebay  :D

Suppose I get one, is the effect listenable on my stereo set-up (since I don't have a quad amplifier for my LP player)? I believe Korgscrew once gave my this website for achieving quad in a simple way:

http://sound.westhost.com/project18.htm

Too bad quad doesn't work like Dolby Digital 5.1, where the surround information in stereo set-ups are decoded to left and right. ;)

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:37

[quote=Blue Dolphin,June 15 2009, 16:57][/quote]
Too bad quad doesn't work like Dolby Digital 5.1, where the surround information in stereo set-ups are decoded to left and right. ;)

I`m pretty sure it does to a certain extent.I can clearly remember the acoustic/Spanish guitar at the end of TB part one(Boxed) only coming through one speaker on my stereo system.There`s lots of other weird things as well but that`s the first thing that always springs to mind for me.I`ve never owned a quad set-up either.
Profile PM 
maccafan Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:34

I have the Mail On Sunday TB disc
The Gold TB disc
The original CD disc
The picture disc vinyl verion
The original vinyl version
Plus now all these new versions

Anyone aware how different the Mail On Sunday mix is?

Marcus
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:35

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 15 2009, 16:57)
Thanks for the information Pat. Now I have to find a TB quad (QVS2001) edition on ebay  :D

Pleasure  :)

The US CD-4 quad release is Virgin QD13-105,
the UK SQ quad release is Virgin QV-2001.

Bear in mind this SQ release is not the same as the 'Boxed' one. The difference of course is the 'Boxed' mix doesnt have the airplane, it has the Viv Stanshall 'Drunken Horpipe' instead.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 17:17

Hi All,

Received the Signed Ultimate Edition today, here in the USA. Number 489/500. Was disappointed by the shabby and thin cardboard shipping box that allowed the inner box to get a few dings, especially around the corners (and which did affect both the LP and Book edges!;) You'd think for $45 (US) shipping cost, they would have packaged it better...

DVD seems to be region free as it does play fine on my US Sony player.

Other stuff is interesting but I still have doubts over the high price tag.

Harry
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 17:58

some spanish dealer sells signed copy in ebay already

still not arrived to finland which is odd because usually i get fast from UK

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 18:17

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 15 2009, 18:37)
I`m pretty sure it does to a certain extent.I can clearly remember the acoustic/Spanish guitar at the end of TB part one(Boxed) only coming through one speaker on my stereo system.There`s lots of other weird things as well but that`s the first thing that always springs to mind for me.I`ve never owned a quad set-up either.

The Boxed CDs work beautifully (at least they do for me) when played through a Pro Logic II decoder. Ommadawn is particularily nice. :)

@ Ommadawn59: sorry if insist on this... the Platinum Collection does not contain the standard version of the Hornpipe, but the Boxed remix (minus foot-stamping & Viv, of course. :D). You can easily spot the difference between the two mixes by listening to a fiddle being played (or rather badly scraped... that's Mike!! :D) during the whole of the first minute and some seconds after that. The fiddle is much clearer on the Boxed mix than on the original 1973 mix. The high-pitched 'pinging' solo guitar is also louder in the Boxed mix. As for the Elements box, it includes the original 1973 version and the Boxed mix.

I've yet to hear the 'Ultimate' remix, so I can't comment on that. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
522 replies since May 15 2009, 17:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net