Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Signed TB Ultimate Edition on sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maccafan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2009, 17:27

Quote (The Thin Man @ June 11 2009, 15:03)
Number 430!

Break that cellophane Bee and really savour the next few minutes.  Then dim the lights, load your player, and enjoy.

Just listening to disc 1as I type, sounds truly fantastic, even better than the gold version.

Marcus
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: June 12 2009, 18:44

Finally got my signed copy (No.114) this afternoon and unfortunately it's not quite in pristine condition, the bottom corner of the outer box being slightly flattened as if it's been dropped. This has transmitted through to the book and bent the corner.  :/   I wouldn't have been too bothered as I didn't buy it to flog on eVilbay or some future edition of Antiques Roadshow, but hearing that some people have got the signed edition for less ££ from Amazon irks me slightly. Good luck (and karma) to those of you who benefitted but I can't help feeling a wee bit swindled.  

On a brighter note I'm thoroughly enjoying the Original Demo right now. As NabLa mentioned earlier the sound quality is better than expected given the Heath-Robinson nature of what it was recorded on!  

Anyone given the vinyl version a spin yet???

Rob

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 06:27

Would someone confirm if the content of the booklets in the Collection and deluxe versions taken from the book in the Ultimate Ed. ?
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 08:53

Yeah, they are the same texts, but Ultimate edition adds an article by Simon Heyworth, and another one by a music journalist..
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 09:24

I just opened a complaint via PayPal: I sent them a e-mail and still waiting for an answer and for a doubled-charged boxset.  :(
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 09:50

Hi . Ive just joined this forum because I am a loyal Olfield fan and collector . But I must share with you all the disapointment and then suprise I had when ordering the ultimate box set. Like most fans I was caught off guard when the sale went ahead on the 15th of May. So I orderd it on Amazon at £61.98 and just gave up on a signed box. On 10th of June I received my box from Amazon,on the front it said it was a limited edition signed box and when I opened it contained a certificate of authenticity saying it was No.215 of 500.
Lucky,yes,suprised,yes . But the question was ,How and Why did this happen ?
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 11:33

Quote (spark @ June 13 2009, 09:50)
Hi . Ive just joined this forum because I am a loyal Olfield fan and collector . But I must share with you all the disapointment and then suprise I had when ordering the ultimate box set. Like most fans I was caught off guard when the sale went ahead on the 15th of May. So I orderd it on Amazon at £61.98 and just gave up on a signed box. On 10th of June I received my box from Amazon,on the front it said it was a limited edition signed box and when I opened it contained a certificate of authenticity saying it was No.215 of 500.
Lucky,yes,suprised,yes . But the question was ,How and Why did this happen ?

I think it's great that people who missed out on the signed copies can still get them (with a little luck) from amazon.

How it happened, I can't say for sure. Obviously not all 500 copies were given to LoudClothing (the official sellers). Some we know are being given away as competition prizes, and I'd be very surprised if some of the choicest numbers (001, 500) don't go to insiders at at Mercury, or close friends of Mike himself.

Maybe amazon just got sent a batch of the signed ones in error.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 13 2009, 12:07

Hopefully we'll have an answer as to what happened--it is curious, indeed. I am happy to have been able to change my address with LoudClothing in time so it didn't end up in a Dead Letter office somewhere!  Being in the USA I am not expecting it for awhile, but hope that when it arrives, it will be a signed copy, undamaged.  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 12:09

Oh---and welcome to the new members!! Feel free to tell us more about yourselves in the Meet and Greet forum. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 18:25

Having listened to the Ultimate box for a few days now, I really love the fresh sound of the mix. I also love the demos! Loving the fact how talented Mike was when he was 17, and doing this long demo on such a crappy B&O recorder.

The booklet is also great, but I had hoped they would have put some extra rare photos. Oh well, maybe something for the next releases?

But I still can't help myself thinking about the reason why TB had to be remastered. As Mike re-recorded TB in 2003, why go back to the original and remaster that again? Couldn't he have done this back in 2003? You don't hear me complain, but I have to admit it is easy money making.

What Mike said in the video is more exciting for me! Remastering of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. I can't wait, that's for sure.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 06:32

I've asked whether our contact at Universal knows anything about what's behind these signed copies from Amazon. No answer yet, but a reply did come back very quickly (and gave the sense of the reaction of someone a bit shocked to hear the news...) asking exactly how many of these Amazon have sent out.

So...over to you, really! I've counted 4 so far (maccafan, Automorph, spark and Paul Harris on the Amarok list). Is there anyone I've missed, or anyone who hasn't come forward yet?
Profile PM 
Ommadawn59 Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 07:08

got my box from amazon germany (unsigned). Still waiting for the signed one. (as the ultimate edition is limited anyway, I keep an additional copy for spare).
BTW the download version includes the "Boxed" mixes aswell, however not the Sailor's Hornpipe long version.
So what's missing IMHO in the ultimate edition is:
The Sailor's Hornpipe Boxed version
Aircraft noise from quadro and picture disc version
Froggy Went A Courting both 7" versions

@ korgscrew: What do you think: Can we expect a B-Sides/Rarities CD in the future or should we convince Mike/Universal to include Froggy on HR Deluxe Edition? (As it was 1974 prior to he release of HR).
Same for all B-Sides/Rarities to be included on future Deluxe Editios, if never a single Rarities CD will show up?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 09:42

Quote (Matt @ June 12 2009, 16:31)
To be honest I am disappointed that the 500 limited edition were only differentiated by a single bit of paper. No signing of the album or book, nothing else. If I had known that (and been thinking clearly the night it was released! ) I might well have just bought on Amazon.

Anyway, I've had fun and love my copy and that means I am happy  :)

I do know what you mean here Matt, but thinking in practical terms, I suppose it was easier to get 500 pieces of paper over to Mike in the Bahamas than a stack of albums or books. I imagine him signing them poolside, or on his yacht, or on a terrace over looking the sea...signing thoughtfully and with love every single one!!!!  ;) I guess it would not be as easy to cart around a pile of books / vinyl copies...so I am very happy to have what I have got.

Incidentally I still haven't opened it, just can't do it, I want it to be perfect forever, so I now intend to visit Amazon and buy a copy that I will use time & time again and probably love every minute too.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 10:12

Quote (bee @ June 14 2009, 10:42)
I do know what you mean here Matt, but thinking in practical terms, I suppose it was easier to get 500 pieces of paper over to Mike in the Bahamas than a stack of albums or books. I imagine him signing them poolside, or on his yacht, or on a terrace over looking the sea...signing thoughtfully and with love every single one!!!!  ;) I guess it would not be as easy to cart around a pile of books / vinyl copies...so I am very happy to have what I have got.

Think about the logistics to send 500 booklets for Mike to sign and then send'em all back in perfect condition!

When I first saw the certificate,I was a bit upset - I didn't care about a personalised autograph on this particular case - because it wasn't on the booklet,but when I started thinking about all the work to send the booklets or asking Mike to come and sign'em before it was put on the box...

If I have one day the chance to meet the man in person and he says "photo or autograph?" like he did with some spanish fans when they met him after the Cologne concert in 2006,guess what is going to be my answer ?

;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 11:46

Does somebody have a scan of the signed certificate? Still haven't seen it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 11:55

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 14 2009, 16:46)

Thread Here
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 11:55

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 14 2009, 16:46)

There are a few scans here. The certificate is slightly larger than A5. The numbers itself in a gold emboss and the material slightly transparent.

Edit: Dirk got there first  :laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
amarok90 Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 12:12

New to the group, so thanks for having me, my signed edition arrived last Thursday (11th) No. 366, and I have spent the last 48 hours going through all 4 discs, and having a wonderful time, though the wife slammed the front room door at 22.00 last night during the 5.1 performance (she has never understood !!!;)

I am now in the study and about to play the original recording C.D. and to top it all the sun is shining !!!

Best wishes

Alan
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 12:25

Quote (amarok90 @ June 14 2009, 17:12)
though the wife slammed the front room door at 22.00 last night during the 5.1 performance (she has never understood !!!;)

I think we need to start a tubular.net support group for people whose significant others don't appreciate Mike...

I'd join  :p

Welcome to tb.net!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
amarok90 Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 12:31

Thank you Matt

A good idea for the support group, I have posted a Meet and Greet message about my memories of how I started with Mike's music.

Alan
Profile PM 
522 replies since May 15 2009, 17:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net