[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Side 1 interpretation by Tubular World< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qcfoetus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2022, 13:14

Just purchased this and had a first listen:
https://robertreed.bandcamp.com/album....artists
I don't recall anyone mentioning it in any of the forums, though. Comments, anyone?
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2022, 16:24

This was promoted in the Tubular World Facebook group mainly:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tubularworld/

Hopefully they'll press on with Part 2 at some point. It certainly has some beautiful moments and there is some excellent musicianship.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2022, 06:15

yes I bought it, more to support the cause than for the music ...I'd say it's pretty close to the original rather than being a "re-interpretation" so I'd probably listen to the original out of preference (1974 mix of course, ideally with some vinyl hiss and scratches to get me into full "back to the 70's" mode...)

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
AlanMiller Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2022, 08:32

No disrespect to Robert who is obviously a very talented musician, but isn't it just a little bit odd that he's just replicating someone else's music?

What would be more interesting perhaps is that having assimilated all of Oldfield's arrangement style and playing characteristics for him to then go on and write an original album, albeit 'in the style of'.

Something between Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn would be favourite and I would love to hear more in that 'vibe'. I'm of the same mind as Tom Newman when he says that Oldfield lost his mojo after his Exegesis experience 'normalised' him, and like a lot of people here I'm sure we're wishfully thinking for a 'missing' album from Oldfield's early career to be discovered from under a bed somewhere.

If Robert Reed could provide that for us, I'd be very grateful!
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2022, 21:45

Have you heard Rob Reed's own albums? Sanctuaries 1,2 and 3 and The Ringmaster albums? Very much in the style of.

And I see no problem with people performing other people's music, there's plenty of room for expression and (re)interpretation. It's not like there's only one recording of Beethoven's symphonies. Or to give a more modern example, Bob Dylan's songs...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2022, 05:12

I have Sanctuary 1,2,3 all good, you can clearly pick out Oldfield album and song nods in them, especially the first album.
Profile PM 
AlanMiller Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2022, 03:50

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Aug. 30 2022, 05:12)
I have Sanctuary 1,2,3 all good, you can clearly pick out Oldfield album and song nods in them, especially the first album.

Ah, thanks for that, I hadn't realised. I'll check them out.

@Pauken - expression & re-interpretation, yes, but these are just 1:1 copies? Not to be contentious of course! :-)
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2022, 04:32

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Aug. 30 2022, 10:12)

Likewise...I enjoyed 1 and 2 but 3 was taking the idea just too far and overstaying its welcome

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2022, 08:03

Quote (AlanMiller @ Sep. 01 2022, 03:50)
@Pauken - expression & re-interpretation, yes, but these are just 1:1 copies? Not to be contentious of course! :-)

Well, they're never exact, there are always differences in phrasing, intonation, voicing and instruments sound different just because different people are playing them, you might substitute an instrument you don't have with something similar; and so on. I don't hear them as 1:1 copies, I hear them as "Well we know what the notes are and what sorts of instruments play them, what happens if we try it?" and the results are sometimes wonderful. And sometimes not...

** Disclaimer: I am currently working on a similar re-creation of Incantations so I totally understand what Rob et al are doing and why and back their side of the argument. But I realise it's not for everyone's taste and you might not see it that way :)
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2022, 06:42

This is pretty okay, not outstanding. Nothing like as good as the original of course!

But as I listen to the original for the millionth time, I sometimes like to break the staleness of overfamiliarity by going for one of the alternatives instead. This, or the demo Hergest Ridge, or the orchestral one, or the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra one from just last month, etc etc.

We are spoiled for choice really. It's all good.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Aug. 14 2022, 13:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net