Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Should we sign a petition to Mercury Music? :: Total Votes:23
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes 15  [65.22%]
No 8  [34.78%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should we sign a petition to Mercury Music?, Protest at Mike's non promotion in UK?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:52

Should we start a petition to Mercury Music protesting at the lack of effort to promote Mike's new album in the UK?  It would need our full name and postcode to be credible (obviously UK signatories would be important). The wording could be agreed later if there is support. If we did this, I'd need a few fans to join me in delivering it for effect - would you help? I would help to get this into the media and it could help plug the album. (Which I notice is at number 9 in Spain.) Any ideas how we should go about this? Any volunteers to help? Or too naff?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 06:54

Well to be fair there was one full colour advert in Record collector magazine and we may well find adverts in next months round of magazines. I've noticed that albums tend to be promoted retrospectively these days once albums are actually in the shops and public opinion has been gauged. And what do you make of the public opinion towards L+S?

Record labels like Mercury don't like wasting money and if L+S is inspiring some die hard fans to say they're never ever buying another album by Mike then god only knows what Mercury think of it. They do however realise there is a much bigger market for this sort of music across Europe hence Mike's popularity across Europe. Pretty much all the promotion thus far has been in Germany and Spain, traditionally Mike's biggest markets, it makes sense to spend money promoting him there and not in the UK where no one is really interested in his new style of music, certainly quite a few fans aren't thats for sure.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 18:54

Quote (Marky @ Oct. 09 2005, 10:52)
It would Should we start a petition to Mercury Music protesting at the lack of effort to promote Mike's new album in the UK? ......If we did this, I'd need a few fans to join me in delivering it for effect - would you help? I..... Any volunteers to help?

Count me in :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 21:10

How about non-promotion in the United States? Last time I knew, Mercury was one of our domestic companies.

I've read that Detroit is a hotbed of the electronic music scene; send him there to promote it!

http://www.movementfestival.com/

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 21:11

A petition with 11 people....um.....maybe not then! Guess we made our feelings so strongly known here that we can call it mission accomplished! Nurse, fetch the screens....
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 21:41

Please do not do it. Record companies get real **** off when artists fans start bothering them. Lets face it, your average record company boss is no better than an oil barren.
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 01:40

In Uk? And what about Portugal?? You can't find a single magazine or newspaper talking about L&S!!!
I think the only way to promote  a new MO album its getting mike into studio and force him to record something like he used to do in the old times. The fact itself would be a huge promotion and everyone (the old and newest fans) would run and buy it! He would be talked more often i gess.  :cool:
Just kidding! his label its making a bad promotion of course...
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 03:59

I'm really trying to be excited about *one* advert in, of all mags, Record Collector, but... if *I* was responsible for Mike's UK promotion, I would advertise in Mojo instead, burn 50 CD-Rs with radio edit of Surfing and send them to radio stations and send promos to music mags. That's not a lot, is it? What they are doing instead, i.e. nothing, suggests they think L+S is really crap; why did they release it then? Dead Or Alive's greatest remixes album had more promotion in the UK!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since Oct. 09 2005, 05:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net