Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Mike move away from ambient music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04 2005, 05:42

I was wondering if he should move away from ambient music? I wish he'd be less 'New Age-y', as he's been blander from TB2 onwards, and wish he'd be more exciting and dynamic, as he was in the '70's and '80's.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 05:00

I'm not saying he should, it's just that he's been in that direction for several albums now, and I think he should move away from it for a while.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 05:07

Well Mike always likes to change direction, and i am sure that he will be getting away from this type of music sooner or later.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 23:32

Absolutely, ambient music puts me to sleep and I  would not want to put into that 'new age' category if I was Mike and he used to feel that way but apparantly laziness or something changed his mind. Give us the dynamic stuff any day. But then, again, if you consider albums like Incantations 'ambient' I would have to change my view. Ambient to me means very slow and very quiet. Certainly when combined with the faster and louder stuff it becomes a whole new experience.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 11:56

Quote (TubularBelle @ Nov. 06 2005, 04:32)
Give us the dynamic stuff any day. But then, again, if you consider albums like Incantations 'ambient' I would have to change my view.

Icantations is definietely not ambient, it's a whirring blur, for me this is one of his worst albums  :/

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 05:43

I love 'Incantations' as it's so beautiful, better than 'Hergest Ridge', though I love HR too!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 08:33

This question is a no brainer. Of course not. He should not be trying to lean towards or away from ambient - some of his previous works have been classified as that because they can't really be classified as anything else.

Mike should do just what he wants to. We all do some griping occasionally on how we dont like this or dont like that - but really that's because he's given us so much to be proud of - some really BRILLIANT music, that we expect his output to remain true to the feeling of that. In truth, he has lead a career of experimentation - through Incantations, Ommadawn, Crises - even Islands - right through Voyager and up through TBIII and Tr3s Lunas. There's not a completely normal album at all. Although I haven't heard it yet, I think Earth Moving may have been more conventional - possibly why people seem to like it so little.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 10:12

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 10 2005, 13:33)
Mike should do just what he wants to. We all do some griping occasionally on how we dont like this or dont like that - but really that's because he's given us so much to be proud of - some really BRILLIANT music, that we expect his output to remain true to the feeling of that. In truth, he has lead a career of experimentation - through Incantations, Ommadawn, Crises - even Islands - right through Voyager and up through TBIII and Tr3s Lunas. There's not a completely normal album at all.

Well I can't add anything to that! Bang on the mark, Arron. I'll restrict myself to a cheer from the sideline.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 16:10

Yes, Arron has the bullseye. You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time, so you might as well please yourself. He has to compose to please himself as its clear that he's an individualist and doing anything else tends to make him unhappy!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 16:33

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 10 2005, 10:12)
Well I can't add anything to that! Bang on the mark, Arron. I'll restrict myself to a cheer from the sideline.

Why Alan? Don't restrict your responses please - adding anything interesting sparks new facets of conversation on the same topic. Else all we will ever do is return to the WTF?! thing or another epic popcorn requiring battle between Korgscrew, Sir M and yourself (delete as appropriate). You have to consider youself as a primary content provider. We need new stuff too. :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 16:57

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 10 2005, 16:33)
popcorn requiring battle

Oooh, I like those  ;)

(not the battles btw)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 18:03

Mike's albums should move away from the new age shelfs in some record stores because his music is not new age at all,IMO.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 01:59

As long as they don't put em in the old 'sales' box uit in the rain on the streets with a big yellow sticker on it saying 'yesterdays music on cheap sale due to no public demand'  :/  ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 04:06

Just recently I've been trawling around in various local record stores,to try & replace some lost M.O cd's(another one of those moving home fiascos).Even though there are at least,three major chain store branches - HMV,MVR,Virgin, only a staple few to be found :/ apart from L+S,TBI,XXV,OTB,TSODE & that's pretty much it really(the last two being found in a couple of small,back street shops.So,either there had been a big mad rush of people bulk buying everything M.O in sight or,it's a case of same old,same old just sitting & no re stock.No Amarok,no Incantations,Platinum, ect.
And as for dvd - no chance,it seems that the only way will be to order from the internet.Just wondering who else has found a problem with finding M.O albums in record stores?

As for whether or not he should move away from any  music style ,it's anyones guess really as to what will appear next - must admit I like the element of surprise.
:D Don't like to think of M.O being labeled "new age" though.That's a bit insulting IMO,for a man who has produced so much variation in his musical career.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 06:26

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Nov. 11 2005, 04:06)
And as for dvd - no chance,it seems that the only way will be to order from the internet.Just wondering who else has found a problem with finding M.O albums in record stores?

I am having problems trying to get hold of the "Exposed DVD".

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 09:47

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 10 2005, 21:33)
Why Alan? Don't restrict your responses please

Ah, you see I read your post but only had a few minutes before I had to run off - and I couldn't think of anything very profound in my available two minutes ('if ever,' you might whisper), so a hearty cheer was all I had time for.

But you asked for more, so here it is.

Seems to me there's a kind of continuous spectrum of attitudes to the making of music: at one extreme there's blatantly commercial pop music, produced to provide instant pleasure to a lot of people in return for cash, with little or no artistic integrity involved beyond a certain striving for slickness. At the other extreme there's the artist who quite literally doesn't care about selling his work because the most important thing to him is the expression of his art. (Many of the musicians who post on this board fall towards this end of the spectrum I think.)

If you're a great artist then you produce art because you can't help it. You'd produce it with old tin boxes if you had to, and regardless of whether anyone wanted it or not (Van Gogh is a classic case). So where is Mike Oldfield?

I presume he's somewhere in the middle; and at various stages of his career he's veered towards one end of the spectrum or the other. Mike Oldfield the pop music purveyor doesn't interest me; but if you're going to make pop music then you have to respond to what the people who buy your music want. If they want you to play wearing a funny hat, then you play wearing a funny hat (metaphorically speaking).

But if you're a serious artist (and I think MO at his best is a great artist) then you just have to follow your inner vision because that's where the life of your art comes from. You might discuss what you do with people whose opinions you value and trust; but not with 'fans' in general. As an artist, you are the person with the vision. You lead opinion; you don't follow it.

To conclude: if you think Mike Oldfield is a good pop musician, then it makes sense for him to listen to his fans and give them what they want. If you think he's a great artist then he has no business taking into account his fans' wishes at all. And if he is driven to make music that you label 'ambient' (whatever it really is, and whatever we 'fans' think of it) then that's the music he must make.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 11:56

I absolutely love ambient music and I felt it was a welcome direction for Mike with Tr3s Lunas and now Light + Shade.

I never felt TBII or TSODE were 'ambient' and I also consider them two of his best albums.

Mike makes the kind of music he likes - except for when he was forced to in the 80s, he's never written for the record buying public.

Mike will be the first to admit that his music is hard to categorise aas a whole. I don't think he has ever done a 'new age' album - not when you compare his works to the sort of albums you find under the 'new age' label. Voyager was the first to receive such labelling - quite unfairly. 'New age' would be much better labelled alongside 'World', which would suit a lot of Mike's albums I guess. And as we've said - Mike has done so many styles and shown so much versatility over the years, it's unfair to label him in one category because of two or three albums.

However, I do feel he has done all he can in that style and it is time to move on before it becomes too samey.

Here's hoping for Amarok II!!  ;)

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2005, 18:39

I think (yep it happends sometimes) that mike should use less synths ans computers.

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 21:52

Alltough I love his ambient stuff, I really like to see him moving on now. Do something very complex, like a symphony with a completely new mix of instruments.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 22:03

I've actually discovered rescently that I can compose some mean chill out and ambient breaks. You'll find the link when it's done. But anyways, I think Mike should maybe move away from this kind of music for a variety, but most musicians do tend to stay in one spot, and we've been lucky to hear someone who can change styles. I don't like to even make 2 songs close to the same time that are in the same style, let alone for some years of albums. I don't think that he should go back to previous styles conpletly, and he certainly shouldn't abandon using keyboards, since they can fit into any kind of music that has harmony, melody, or rhythm, and after all, I'm a keyboardist and that's what I like to listen to most.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
84 replies since Nov. 04 2005, 05:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net