Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Mike move away from ambient music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 21:28

I couldn't find exactly where I read it, but it was told a while back, that he was working on a new album which will have 3 long instrumental pieces...
but also I read that it could take quite some time... so that's why I thought 2008... I could be wrong, but it's a guess...
Anyway I'm really looking forward to it! I liked Light and Shade, but I think the last time he made a REALLY great album was way back in 1999 with Guitars. The albums after that (except for L&S) didn't do that much for me...

:cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 06:15

Guitars are realy good...L&S are not something special...its too much tehno for me. i hate tuc-tuc beat :(

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 06:53

Quote (Iksion @ Oct. 01 2006, 06:15)
Guitars are realy good...L&S are not something special...its too much tehno for me. i hate tuc-tuc beat :(

Yes, indeed... I like a normal beat more, too. Like on Crises! that one has great drumbeats.
I really hope next album will have real drums, or those bongo things like on Amarok/Ommadawn :zzz:
Also, Mike, get rid of the singing machine  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 06:58

yea Amarok is great because those bongo thingys and those voices! man i listening Amarok right now :) Hmm...what Amarok means? Wolf eye?

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 07:07

I believe it doesn't really mean anything...
But it could be meaning something like I-Am-A-Rock ... I read that somewhere...
But I think there's not a clear meaning...  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2006, 07:11

I look on a internet and i found thet Amarok means the eye of the wolf... Im a rock :) lol

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2006, 11:27

I like the ambient music, but I think it would be nice if he moved on to something else now just to stay diverse.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2006, 14:03

Ok, Mike Oldfield shoud start playing Black metal. I think he coud get more famus there very good :) His music is strange but can u imagen it in metal style :)))

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2006, 19:11

Ah yeah i agree with that idea :) recently got into metal music but cant imagine mike doing it.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2006, 20:41

Quote (glasgow_tubular @ Oct. 04 2006, 00:11)
Ah yeah i agree with that idea :) recently got into metal music but cant imagine mike doing it.

Shadow on the Wall and Outcast are virtually metal.  Maybe I've mellowed out a bit in my old ;) ??? age, but I don't really listen to much metal these  days. When I was about 18 or 19 I went through a "Heavy Metal"  phase, but if I hear some of the metal I listenedto 15/16years ago I'd now think it's terrible.
Saying thatI do listen to  Iron Maiden,Metallica,Monster Magnet,andhave recently got into Therion,have their "Sirius B" album,need to buy more of their music. I guess they make me think of Iron Maiden,but in addition to the guitars include symphonic vocals and mandolins  ;)  :).
For more infoonTherion see here
www.megatherion.com

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 01:51

Therio to Mega Therion :) i heared for them. THere is more good groups, like Burzum. i call him dark Oldfield because he have some albums with ambient music and it a little remaindes me on Mike (alittle). Then...SOAD is amazing too. Then...Children of Bodom,Summoning...and others :)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 07:12

Thanks for that Iskion, I'll have to check some Burzum out :) ,especiallysince you callhis music "Dark Oldfield"  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 17:30

:) but i have to worn you. He is a satanist,and he killed a guitar player and burned 3 chucrces and planted a bomb in forth one... Some of his music is just screeming and killing the instruments (but thet sounds good too) and some of new music is...somehow dedival and seek. I love it! :)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 18:43

Ah cool ive just started getting into metallica, dragonforce, and aerosmith etc. more gothic music like cradle of filth etc :) be really cool to hear "Dark OLdfield" be pretty cool.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 18:52

hmm...I think thet cradles are death metal not gothic :) Therion and Love is colder then death are gothic. Burzum is the best of them. Very emotional music :) If u like metal u shoud listen to Children of bodom,or Dissection...hmmm...or Summoning (they are amazing! Medival metal) yea summoning! they are great but i cant get them anywhere!! :((((

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 08:07

Quote (Iksion @ Oct. 04 2006, 22:30)
:) but i have to worn you. He is a satanist,and he killed a guitar player and burned 3 chucrces and planted a bomb in forth one... Some of his music is just screeming and killing the instruments (but thet sounds good too) and some of new music is...somehow dedival and seek. I love it! :)

I wonder how much of that is media hype :/ ???  I've Googled Burzum and found thiswww.burzum.org/eng/biography.shtml.

By his writings I would say that Varg Vikernes is a   Pagan, a worshipper of the Old Norse Gods/Goddesses, rather than a Satanist.  Satan NEVER has existed in native European religions.  Satan was an invention of the Christian Church,during the conversion times, (In Europe started in Rome about Year 70 C.E. Iceland  didn't become Christian until c.1100 C.E.) in an attempt to demonise the Old Gods, sadly from some quarters,Pagans are still misrepresented as "Devil Worshippers",how can Pagans  worship an entity that they  don't believe in.  

Actually come to think of it I'veheard the name Burzum before,someone (I can't remember who) has mentioned them.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 14:06

Hm...I have videos when they aresting him. He is pagan but he sad thet he worshiped satan...I mean he was in a satan cult.. U shuod see his thx like "worshipe me" or "Satan is your lord..."you know...clasical metal shi*. And at evry church ,thet he burned,he wrothed "SAtan was here,"and his saying on a television:"all chrsitans shoud burn..." i know evrything about him (almost evrything). Like Burzum means Evil darkness,if you belive in one god,but if you are pagan,then it means Pure light...

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 19:03

Quote (Iksion @ Oct. 05 2006, 19:06)
Burzum means Evil darkness,if you belive in one god,but if you are pagan,then it means Pure light...

YesI guess it's all about balance, it doesn't work to have darkness without light ,or Light without Shade.

Mother nature has it all in perfect balance with the Equinoxes and Solstices :) .   I don't think darkness is neccesarily evil, just hidden.  I wonder howmany kids have grown upwith a fear of the Dark :/ .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 03:09

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 05 2006, 19:03)
[quote=Iksion,Oct. 05 2006, 19:06]  I wonder howmany kids have grown upwith a fear of the Dark :/ .

can u explain thet word i didnt understudet it... :(

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 03:19

Just to nudge this thread back on track ever so slightly...

What's "ambient" mean? To me it means "Room Temperature" but I'm sure people aren't suggesting Mike's music is lukewarm, are they...? ;)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
84 replies since Nov. 04 2005, 05:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net