[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Mike move away from ambient music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dM Flimp Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 07 2006, 13:17

i agree

--------------
Kraftwerk

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn.
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal,
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 10 2006, 12:11

Going by the text-book definition of "ambient music", I'd say Mike has never made any real ambient music, so in that way the question does fall off it's mark. However, if by "ambient music" we're referring to stuff like Tr3s Lunas and the "Light" part of Light + Shade, then I'd say pretty strongly that he should move away from that style and into something more dynamic.
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 11:48

I'd like less of the woman with the weird lips in the tbIII dvd at london. she annoys me slightly  :(  

Is it just me?

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 15 2006, 12:38

pepsi?
if it is, i agree ;)
she totally destroy mike's image.
Makes it all look like a party (and also the sound include)

I WANT MAGGIE BACK!!  :O

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 13:13

Quote (Tubularman @ July 15 2006, 12:38)
pepsi?
if it is, i agree ;)

She makes it look like a party??? Is that not the point? Other than Morrisey I thought all good  pop music concerts were parties. You can say what you like about the TB3 premier concert but it was way better than the TB2 premier show here in Edinburgh (where I almost fell asleep) Never has Mike's music looked and sounded more sexy than in Horseguards Parade. It's a shame he didn't develope that side to his live music more in the 90's.  :cool:
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 16:58

Quote (Alan D)
if you think Mike Oldfield is a good pop musician, then it makes sense for him to listen to his fans and give them what they want. If you think he's a great artist then he has no business taking into account his fans' wishes at all. And if he is driven to make music that you label 'ambient' (whatever it really is, and whatever we 'fans' think of it) then that's the music he must make.

Great comments by Alan D & arron11196 I agree. I for one though think Mike is both a good pop musician and great artist. I therefore think he SHOULD listen to his fans, but still do his own thing, and not necessarily follow them. After all his fame and musical freedom has become greater because of his many fans, but most love him for his originality.
I thought Discovery was excellent, though not a big fan of Earth Moving. I loved Amarok but not as much Voyager.
To me Mike is the standard which artists should be measured, and I respect him for doing his own thing. I do miss some of the dynamic deep emotional music that he made in the 70's and 80's though. I like his new stuff too, but I hope his music would take us somewhere else soon.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 16:59

I have never heard Mike's music descriped as "Ambient" before. Is there other known artist under this music category?

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 20:11

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ July 15 2006, 16:59)
I have never heard Mike's music descriped as "Ambient" before. Is there other known artist under this music category?

Ambient is an entire music genre, there are and were tons of ambient artists out there, The Orb being a classic example of an ambient band. As a genre it was arguably at its peak in the early 90's and generally stemmed directly from dance music, its not a term I would ever associate with any of Mike's work, 'chill out' would better describe what Mike does these days. I think its widely acknowledged Brian Eno was first musician to coin the term 'ambient' though I may be wrong.

U.F.Orb by the Orb is probably the greatest ambient album ever released, and the track Blue Room on that album is still thought by most  as probably the greatest piece of ambient music ever writen. Track it down, though don't expect melody, its all about 'atmosphere'

As for Mike setting the standard by which all artists should be judged. His focussed technical musicianship has certainly set a standard for sure, and in the 70's he certainly stood for a lot of creative purity but once you start writing albums like Earth Moving that were blatantly made to get in the charts and make money all artistic purity goes out the window. Though to be fair on Mike there is the other side of the argument which is that Virgin made him do it. Still I lost a lot of artistic respect for him when he did TB2 (let alone 3) There are other musicians out there of his vintage like Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour who I've got a lot more respect for artistically, these days anyway.
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2006, 19:02

Quote (Tubularman @ July 15 2006, 12:38)
pepsi?
if it is, i agree ;)

Just found this thread again after getting completely lost in the forum. Is her name pepsi? I think she ruins it aswell. with the big feather scart and shouting "come on". she does however put some humour to it i suppose. Does she do the voice for man in the rain?

--------------
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 17:02

It would be good indeed if Oldfield would make something like from 70-ies. But the problem is not in "ambient" orientation (that therm was always a bit fake anyway) - it is in the fact that he doesn't seem to have anything new to say these days (and who does?). If you are bothered with his more electronic orchestration these days - well I am not, I am totaly for it. I would only like more real music from him... Light and Shade were O.K. but nothing more than that.

I think Oldfield will turn his attention on rerecording his old works for surround sound, and it's not a bad decision at all considering that you can't make nothing new and exciting these days
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2006, 19:23

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Aug. 07 2006, 23:02)
I would only like more real music from him... Light and Shade were O.K. but nothing more than that.

Yeap, just one of this kind is enough for me too! ;)

Btw... Guru Meditation? Hey, are you too an Amiga user? :p

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2006, 06:45

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Aug. 07 2006, 17:02)
...you can't make nothing new and exciting these days

Well, if there is someone who can do that, I think is Oldfield  ;)
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2006, 10:02

I think mike and enigma should do something. would make it a bit ambiant i suppose but interesting at the same time.

--------------
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2006, 14:03

Pepsi Demacque was the singer who sang with Mike on all his live stuff 98-2000. Say what you like about her but she's a mega famous and highly regarded session singer having done work for tons of people besides Mike. To be honest i don't think her voice suited Man in the Rain or Moonlight Shadow but she absolutely made Shadow on the Wall her own, she gave an amazing performance really bringing that song to life in a much more smooth soulful way than the album version.

Guru Meditation. I'm sorry but I can't think of anything worse than the idea of Mike rerecording all his old works for 5.1. I don't mind him remixing them in 5.1 but rerecording them no way, anyway he won't because there's need.
And as for nobody having anything new to say I'm sorry but thats bollocks. I'm hearing great new music all the time by artists that have a lot to say.
And I still think Mike has a lot to say, just not in the bland Cafe Del Mar Enigma type musak he's produced recently. What puzzles me is why he stayed with it for so long when the rest of the world including a lot of his fans were listening to something else.
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2006, 06:41

Quote (glasgow_tubular @ Aug. 08 2006, 10:02)
I think mike and enigma should do something. would make it a bit ambiant i suppose but interesting at the same time.

Mike and Michel Cretu collaborated in one song of the album Islands: The Time has Come.
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2006, 09:12

Pepsi was an alright singer. I just hated the way she pranced about the stage.

Cool didnt know mike already made a song with michel cretu.

--------------
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2006, 04:47

I wish Mike would keep up the multiintrumental albums instead of just keyboards and guitars.
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 04:41

If you ask me,i think what ever Mike start to play it will be unique. Pop,ambient or rock...it all have Mikes tone. Mystery,so strong emotions like no other musitions. Music is Mikes world not ours. We canot change it...Mike is a simphony of the distant world :)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 06:45

I'm not sure if Mike will move away from ambient. I think he does, and I think that the new album with long instrumental pieces, in 2008 or so, will be the best he's done in 10 or maybe 15 years!!!
So I'm really looking forward to that  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 15:39

2008? Man,thet is far away :) How do you now thet his making a new album with long instrumental pices?

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
84 replies since Nov. 04 2005, 05:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net