Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Should I buy Platinum? :: Total Votes:32
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes 28  [87.50%]
No 0  [0.00%]
Are you crazy, there shouldn't even be two options! (please state why it is so good/bad............ 4  [12.50%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should I buy Platinum?, Seen on eBay for just £4.99!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 11:04

Came across the re-mastered CD of Platinum on Ebay, just want your verdicts on whether I should buy it, my collection is building rapidly, I am only 15.......  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 11:26

I voted 'yes', but make sure you get Ommadawn, Tubular Bells, Incantations and Hergest Ridge first!  Even if they are a little more expensive.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 11:28

I would say a definite "YES!". I love this album, but loved it more with the original "Sally", which is sadly replaced with the wishy washy "Into Wonderland" (most CDs still have the name "Sally" on the cover though).  ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 11:46

Thanks guys, in response to your advice Jules I have TB, HR. Ommadawn but not yet Incantations, maybe I shall buy Platinum and not listen to it until I have heard Incantations!  ;)

Rich

--------------
Profile PM 
sohfar Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 13:23

'YES' it is a Wonderfull album listening to it right now : )  I would listen to Incantations first though!

--------------
HEALTH WARNING
This record could be hazardous to the health
of cloth-eared nincompoops. If you suffer from this
condition, consult your Doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 21:32

I voted for the third option simply because I have to have everything. Platinum is great, esp Parts 1 thru 4, and just to give you something to do, this has been debated on other threads, listen carefully and see if you can hear Mike whisper the word Platinum 5.5 seconds into the beginning of the first track. So what cds do you have now? hope you don't get sick of him.

P.S.- George89 will be disappointed to know he isn't the youngest member, he turns the grand old age of 16 in 6 days, HB George.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 22:17

I absolutely LOVE Platinum.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 02:24

Well, my advice would be to listen to as much of Mike's music as you possably can. I certainly can't tell whether you will or you won't like Platinum, but I would definately give every album from Mike a go.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 08:25

Will do, thanks for your response, whether or not I get it from eBay I shall certainly purchase it soon.

In response to your question Tubularbelle, I currently have Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, TB 1 + 2, Crises, Voyager and The songs of distant earth. Amarok is arriving soon as will Platinum and Incantations  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 08:59

Darn! I clicked BUY IT NOW on eBay and the page cannot be displayed for some reason, a problem with the eBay server (always overloaded I suspect) I hope this doesn't mean that I can't purchase it, its ending soon! nooooooo.........

:(

--------------
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 06:27

I love Platinum much more ever since I created for myself a version with Sally instead of Into Boredomland. It just makes so much sense, the riff from Sally appears during the instrumental part, even Punkadiddle suddenly makes loads of sense instead of just sounding silly.

I wish I had an LP with Sally, but so far I checked about 20 copies in various countries and never came across one that wouldn't have Into Boredomland onnit... even though the SLEEVES and inlays, and even stickers on the LPs were quite different to each other.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
verhfrank Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 07:41

So, what's your opinion of Platinum? I am curious because it took me some time to appreciate it. Granted, the title track is brilliant, though at first I felt that the drums sounded quite dated. As a matter of fact, I just purchased Five Miles Out, having resisted due to some of the negative reviews I'd read. And again, just like with Platinum, it took several listens. I am not a new Oldfield fan and own most of his releases, but I do have my favorites... And while I am now quite happy to own some of Mike's 80's releases, I admit that I still miss the organic, 'earthy' quality of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn...
But maybe that's just me...
Anyhow, I hope you managed to snag the disc from EBay and are enjoying it.
Profile PM 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 09:19

It compliments most of his other work because it is so uptempo.

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 10:34

To me, it will always be a letdown. It is the first album on the other side of the "Exegesis Divide" from HR, Ommadawn, Incantations, etc.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 11:10

Exegesis probably helped him to be assertive.

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 17:47

Hey, where do you live in?

I mean, in almost every big city across Europe there are second hand record shops.. Here in Madrid you can find a second hand Tubular Bells CD in mint condition for just 6 euros... and you're saving the S&H costs...I got the Picture CD edition of Platinum a couple years ago for just 1300 pesetas... around 8 euros. You can get standard CD editions for just 5 euros, even for less. Just search the Yellow Pages, I'm sure there's a second hand record shop near you!

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 15:43

A bit late I know, but Platinum is only £3.97 on Amazon.co.uk. You'll have to pay postage but still no need to bid on ebay!
Cheers,
Adrian
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 16:21

Quote (Daftyboy @ Sep. 08 2005, 20:43)
A bit late I know, but Platinum is only £3.97 on Amazon.co.uk. You'll have to pay postage but still no need to bid on ebay!

aha, see I went on a shopping spree and bought Incantations, Platinum, Five Miles out, Discovery and Heaven's open! yay!

Thanks to all for your response  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 16:33

Gotta be QE2 next then!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 16:37

Quote (Daftyboy @ Sep. 08 2005, 21:33)
Gotta be QE2 next then!

Indeed!

QE2, Earth Moving, Islands, Guitars, Tres lunas and the Millenium bell are the remaining albums to get in order to complete my collection.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
25 replies since Aug. 04 2005, 11:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net