Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Should Crises be divided into parts? :: Total Votes:40
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Great idea, would give more appeal to the album having more tracks/divided long composition 5  [12.50%]
Its charm would be comprimised if this was the case. 25  [62.50%]
Yes! Then I could skip to my favourite crescendo!! 5  [12.50%]
Other ............................ 5  [12.50%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Should Crises be divided into parts?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 08:53

Sometimes when I hear it I believe that the title track for Crises should be spilt up into two, three or perhaps even four parts, I don't know whether anyone else has ever thought this, or whether people will agree with me but having perhaps Crises part 1, 2 etc or calling them Dawn of a Crisis, then Crisis over etc to make it more personalised  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 13:04

I think Crises looks great as one single track. Like "Echoes".

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 20:49

If it was divided into tracks like TSODE was that would be OK, as it wouldn't change the music in any way. It would be handy if you wanted to skip tracks, but I don't think I'd use it as I love all of Crises.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 17 2006, 10:11

Personally, I wouldn't split it up.  I'm happy to listen to the whole track in its entirety.  20 mins 40 secs in music terms is long, but 20 mins isn't a long time to spend listening to music - most albums are 40-50 mins long, and I think nothing of listening to several albums every day.

However, if you want to split up the track with an MP3 splitter, you could do it like this:

0:00 - intro
2:19 - main theme / "Crises, Crises"
7:47 - "The watcher and the tower" (there is a split second break here)
9:59 - after "The watcher and the tower" (no idea what to call this)
12:54 - intro reprise
16:54 - ending

I think the only "true" break is at 7:47, the rest of the sections merge into each other nicely, so splitting it up would be tricky.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 17 2006, 12:43

I'd dislike the idea that new listeners would start referring only to single tracks or sections from Crises.

It could probably work if Mike called them I, II, III, IV etc. and remained as vague as possible about it. I can't say I'm that keen on there being track names for TB 2003.
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: July 11 2006, 03:50

I'd have to disagree. The best thing about this Album is it's ability to blend everything in it together. It's definitely one of my favourite instrumentals.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 11 2006, 06:09

one track thank you!  ;)
The reason is the same like Sir Mustapha, just listen "echoes" PF, and you will understand. I like Crises the way it is and its like a story. Just GREAT!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: July 11 2006, 06:21

I like the idea, if it is done like TSODE or Tubular Bells 3. I would not use that much either, but I don't always have the time, or feel like listening to the whole CD, and then it would be great to be able to skip to my favorite parts, especially if I wish to talk to some who have not heard Mike's many styles, it would be nice to have the freedom to use both options. :cool:

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 11 2006, 06:51

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ July 11 2006, 12:21)
I don't always have the time, or feel like listening to the whole CD,

yes true really...
i did not think about that,and in some way i listen more to the tb 2003 then the orginal.. (and the reason is because i can skip some songs and listen to what i want)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 20:40

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I'm new on the forum.

I do tend to separate "Crises" into parts, both in concept and physically. I personally find the "sleazy blues" and "Crises Crises" sections a little incongruous to the atmosphere of the rest of the piece. As a result, I have actually created my own edit of the piece which jumps from the intro straight to the "Watcher and the Tower" section, and I much prefer it like that. The changeover point is no more abrupt than the existing one.

In my view this edit makes the piece flow better, and is one of my favourite individual MO tracks; stirring, progressive Ambient Rock of the highest order.

The skipped sections make a decent enough track on their own, so they are by no means forgotten.

I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but I've uploaded my edited versions for you to check out:

Crises (Atmospheric edit)
Crises (Blues/Rock edit)

I've also uploaded a snippet of just the transition point:

Crises edit sample

I'm sure there'll be some purists tearing their hair out, but someone out there may be interested to hear these!  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 21:02

Quote (Balbulus @ Sep. 09 2009, 20:40)
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, I'm new on the forum.

I do tend to separate "Crises" into parts, both in concept and physically. I personally find the "sleazy blues" and "Crises Crises" sections a little incongruous to the atmosphere of the rest of the piece.

Don't apologize, balbulus - it's fun when people ressurect old threads (that sounds like a hippy going to a second-hand clothing shop, doesn't it). Welcome to the forum, incidentally.

With regard to the "Crises Crises" section - the singing is a bit weak, and it would be interesting to hear what it would sound like if it had been recorded after MO had had singing lessons (as he did for Heaven's Open.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 22:20

Welcome Balbulus,

Indeed, no worries for resurrecting an old thread (here at t.net or in a thrift store--ha ha nightspore! ).  It is nice when people find them. Would rather see an old topic exhumed that a new one started on the same subject, as well. Sometimes we merge identical/similar topics if we can remember and actually find the older one. The search feature can be challenging!

In answer to your concern about the mixes, there is a Fan Remixes section of the forums where your mixes could find a home.

Anyway.....seems to me that to divide up Crises could create a crisis!  

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 02:57

Absolutley never ever should Crises be devided!Leave it alone!!!! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 06:43

Well obviously the idea isn't popular! I just find the original arrangement a bit like having a wonderful flight through some fantastic landscape interrupted by a stop-off in South Central!

I understand the intention was probably contrast, but I do feel it ruins the atmosphere of the track.

Thanks for your comments, and if I seem worried about resurrecting old threads it's because I'm used to the Metal-Archives forum where the mods are pretty draconian!

Cheers!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 07:53

I was kind of joking when i wrote that,plus i hadn't had a gallon of coffee yet as it was very early here.There some less than brilliant bits in the track but it's one of my favourites from that era.I like it as it is though and my only real complaint is that it's too short.
 I guess it is all about contrast.There's also the references to Tubular Bells which coming 10 years after TB i take to be Mike's salute to the anniversary which culminated in the 10th Anniversary Wembley gig (at which i believe Mike put itching powder on the seats of the critics).I lkie the way the track,and for that matter the whole album,hangs together.
Splitting the track would seem wrong to me,but that's just my opinion.
 As for resurecting old threads,it's fun so go for it.Some of them are ghilariously funny!Dunking your beer in your cheese was a good one!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 09:58

I would like the option of skipping to the crescendo.

The good thing about having a side1 and side2 was that the music stopped at the end of Crises. With the CD the challenge is to dash and stop it before the 1st bar of "Moonlight Shadow" - which kind of spoils the moment.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 10:32

Divided...well yes and no..
I'm talking about the title track here - not the whole album.

All of you...listen to me, it's important   :D
I AM without a doubt the biggest fan of Crises - deal with it :cool:
When introduced to the number I was so amazed that I travelled to Germany to buy the cd and at that time my very first cd player to play it on. It cost me a half month salary in 1983  but it was worth it   :O

When it comes to the track from the album, I really really really really like the "2nd" half beginning at 09.58 alone - absolute great synth and guitar, - really..

When I hear the track recorded from the live concert from Wembley in 1983 - the whole 22 minutes number needs to be in one piece to fully enjoy it.

That's just my humble opinion..  :p
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 12:08

Crises.....that was a really bitchin' album. Leave it alone. If you feel it neccesary to edit it.....DO SO! Fade in....fade out.
No big deal. I've done it, long ago. It's not exactly a huge task. Make your composite tape. If things get bad enough, call on me. I'll edit the thing for ya, OK? I do this very well.
Jim
PS: this thread has almost as much humor as the Lennon/Pony thing. But I can edit it for you. I would just love.....to see you do this for your own amusement. There is software to take MP3 or WAV files and fade/edit them(very easy). It is free. I used it to do the MO metal thing.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 14:47

I've got to say that this forum is a bit of a santuary during the working week  :D .....and Prisoner and Scatter you are very funny guys   :D .

"Crises Crises - I need you on my side cos there's a crisis."

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 20:03

1 Crises.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
24 replies since Aug. 06 2005, 08:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net