Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Shadow's Moonlight Shadow!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2002, 10:59

Has anyone heard Hank Marvin and the Shadows' instrumental version of Moonlight Shadow,it's very good,Hank just plays along to the melody for the verses and chorus,then he does his own solo,which is very good,if you have'nt heard it,you should check it out,it's on the Shadow's album called Moonlight Shadow's,or it's on Audiogalaxy!!.
I know Hank Marvin is one of those players that Mike has admired for a long time,it would be great to here them record together!!.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 05:55

Yeah, I've heard it. Mike's version sound better though. I suppose it just sounds funny without the vocals.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 08:02

I think that that just depends on which you heard first, and how often. It works the same with cover versions of songs- if you hear one version a reasonable amount, and then hear another, the second one normally sounds a bit weird. One example I can think of is the song 'Blinded by the Light'- I heard the Manfred Mann's Earth Band (album version) cover of this song before I heard the original Bruce Springsteen song, and the way that MMEB arranged the song makes the Boss's just seem bizarre. Although admittedly, with this particular song a lot of it is rather bizarre.

Back to Moonlight Shadow minus vocals, instrumental versions do sound a little weird because of being used to the original- although I got used to Korgscrew's 'Moonlight Mando' very quickly  ;) . But it varies for different people...
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 13:52

Recording Moonlight Mando, I had the words in mind all the time - that may go some way towards helping the instrumental melody to replace the vocals with lyrics. I would imagine Hank Marvin probably did similar when he played the track, but perhaps not...I think that the electric guitar has a lot more potential for having a 'singing' sound than a mandola does...
Profile PM 
chtimi Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2003, 16:27

The first time I hear Moonlight Shadow, it was the Shadows' Moonlight Shadow! :)  My father's a Shadows and Hank Marvin fan, and he was always listening to this record, I remember... And when I was old enough to buy my own records, I bought "Crises" (six or seven years ago I think) because of Moonlight Shadow, and above all because of the cover that is magical. Maybe the most beautiful MO cover... (or as beautiful as TB or The Songs Of Distant Earth)
I love both versions of this song

--------------
The Watcher and the Tower
Waiting hour by hour
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 14 2002, 10:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net