Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Shade" = QE3 ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 13:47

The more I listen to "Shade", the more it seems like a modern version of "QE2." Some of the tracks seem quite like "QE2" in spirit, such as the bonus track "Lakme" (which might not have been out of place on "QE2").

"QE2" made a lot of use of vocoder voices, and "Shade" makes use of the not-too-dissimilar Vocaloid.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 14:03

Well Tears of an Angel reminds me more of Five Miles Out because of the vocoder type sound and slightly more unusual track construction but there I'm afraid the similarity ends for me.

I suppose Mike could have done a cover version of Lakme for QE2 an I'm sure it could have only sounded better than the musical abomination that is his current rendering of it. I don't know where Lakme fits into the current scheme of things, bottoms and barrels spring to mind though.
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 14:28

hi
and the jouney is were?????
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 14:40

Toby, is your negative opinion of "Lakme" partially due to your familiarity with other versions of it?

As for "Light", I'm now listening to it for the 2nd time. It also sounds QE2-ish to me.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 14:42

Quote (torbenyj @ Oct. 11 2005, 14:28)
hi
and the jouney is were?????

Here, but I think it has little to do with QE2 or L+S.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 15:53

Hey Hiawatha, 50% of my negativity towards Lakme is because I hate dance versions of classical music at the best of times just on principal. And the other 50% of my negativity comes form the fact that this is just a particularly appalling trancy version of it for me. I though Romance was awful but Lakme for me is just beyond that. I never in my worst negative moments of thought towards Mike thought he would ever produce something this bad. I guess part of my problem is that I don't come to Mike for this sort of music but then again I don't come to anybody for this sort of music and I would turn it off if it came on the radio.
I guess some fans like it, but unfortunately I love dance music which means I'm a bit qualified in my own mind to hate bad dance music and this to me is bad dance music made by a composer who I used to (and secretly still do) hold in such high regard beyond anybody.

To end on a positive note TOAA still rocks, Surfing is still really rather good in its own futuristic child like way and Rocky has really grown on me during the last few days.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 18:58

I still don't have Light and Shade, but if it is anything like QEII I'll be thrilled.  I love that album - it's near the top of my list of favorites.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 20:32

I can't believe you are still waiting you poor thing. I got mine on Friday and have listened to it about 4 times all the way through now but still do not feel ready to write a review yet. I feel very conflicted about this album, I don't see the listening enjoyment of it as any different really from previous albums although there has been an obvious steady change in Mikes style, which is a good thing, not a bad thing, regardless of whether you like it or not. But at the same time I have not read one comment, no matter how derogatory, that hasn't rung some truth. The 'offical' for want of a better word review from the Norwegian Times esp struck a chord with me because it was the first really BAD review of L&S in the media that I have read and is way over the top in it's criticism but also says practically the same thing I tried to say in a much nicer way in a post of my own. I love dance music too and I suppose if it was my favourite form of music then Mike would certainly not be my first choice of artist to listen to it, I think most people would agree to that. Even Mike would agree it's not his best work or that is all he would be doing. But I love Shade, it's fun, it's exciting and it's easy to listen to once you open yourself up to it. It is a compliment if people can go as far back as QE2 to make comparisons, and in fact proves that the old Mike is still in there and has not lost the plot at all. As I have said, if it wasn't for the internet pre-exposing us to practically the whole album, and if Mike had released Tres Lunas and Light as a 2cd set before Tres Lunas 2 surfaced (by somebody quite naturally assuming that Mike would not be rehashing old tunes 3 years later), and if Shade had been released as a solo album about 5 years ago, then everyone would be HAPPY. I think Mikes timing is off, he's running behind the eight ball now, which obviously acrues to laziness. Music is a very NOW thing, even moreso when you delve into the dance genre and Mike with his attempt to catch up has actually shown how far behind the finishing line he actually is. He in his 50's, it's perfectly inderstandable. But I think you will love at least one if not both cds.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 20:55

I ordered mine from someone in Milwaukee and it came about 3 days later.

As for it being QE2-like, I am making the comparison concerning an overall relatively-exhuberant spirit.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 03:19

I don't see any link between Shade and QE2 myself, not even in terms of spirit or mood. The three tracks I like best (TOAA, Ringscape and Surfing) certainly aren't ones I would descripe as particularly happy or exuberant. I also can't see Lakme fitting on QE2 at all.

Also Toby, I can't see why Lakme should be rated any worse than Slipstream, Romance or Nightshade. In fact I prefer Lakme to all those tracks, because of the very start before it turns dancy, and the guitar at the end.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 03:40

I'm baffled by the comparison with QE2 as well. I was never a great fan of QE2, but surely the dance stuff that sprawls all over the Shade album (and ruins it, for me) ... that's nothing like QE2 in any sense, is it?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 13:14

I only hate Lakme more than the others because the original is such a beautiful piece of music. I agree that the others may be equally bad but at least there is no original version to compare them to.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 13:22

That gets rid of half of the reason to hate it for me. As I said, I'd never heard or heard of Lakme before getting L+S. To me, it actually sounds like a very typical Oldfield original composition.

I have no idea what he ruined :)

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 11:44

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 12 2005, 18:22)
I have no idea what he ruined :)

He didn't, it's much better than the original  :p   :laugh:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 10:03

IMHO Light + Shade is not comparable to Qe2. Qe2 is full of wonderful music, articulated, originali, difficult to play, plenty of emotions. And L+S is far away from this, imho is good as background music, and Qe2 is much much more.

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 13:26

If anything, I'd say Light is closer to QE2, if only because of its more relaxed, pleasant, positive feel. But it's quite a stretch.

As for Lakme, I find it moronic, but not much more than that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Oct. 11 2005, 13:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net