Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Shabda and Brother Bear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexR Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 06:20

Has anyone noticed the similarity between the choir at the end of Shabda and the track called "Transformation" on the Brother Bear soundtrack (composed by Phil Collins).  Transformation is performed by the Bulgarian Women's Choir and the choir on Shabda is arranged in exactly the same style.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 08:21

Well, I don't have the Brother Bear soundtrack (though my son has the DVD) but I'd say that this is pretty much just what this Bulgarian polyphonic style sounds like. Though I have to admit it was only through your post that I finally made the connection between Shabda and Bulgarian style polyphony. I did think it sounded familiar but I only made the connection with Adiemus. But it really seems like all three - Brother Bear, Adiemus, and Shabda - are inspired by the Bulgarian style.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 17:53

I don't think there is a connection between the Bulgarian women's choir and Adiemus. The Bulgarian choir is a folk choir - i.e. they sing that way not because they're trained to sing that way, but because they've always sung that way. On the other hand, the wide-open singing style of the Adiemus choirs is like it is because Karl Jenkins specifically instructed Miriam Stockley (and Mary Carewe, and the Finnish singers) to sing that way. IMHO the choir on Shabda was just meant to sound like Adiemus with no connection with the Bulgarian women's choir. However, I do have the Brother Bear soundtrack, and I do admit they sound similar. :) But the similarity is only in the 'louder' part of the Shabda choir, and it exists only on the sonical level and not on the phonetical one: the Shabda choir sings in (partly invented) Latin, the Bulgarian women sing in Inuit. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 04:16

Well I can`t say that I noticed any similarities between the vocal style used on Shabda and that of the Voix Bulgares.Other than the fact I was emotionally moved by both of them that is.I`ve never heard that Brother Bear piece though,so I`ll have to reserve judgement on that one.But I would certainly recommend albums like Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares to anyone.Absolutely amazing stuff.

The only thing that moved me about the Karl Jenkins Adiemus album on the other hand was the movement to get up and turn it off.I had that album out of my local library a good few years ago now,and I have to admit it did nothing for me at all.The trouble is since Mike has now put out this great album with him it`s kind of rekindled my curiosity again.Looks like I`ll be making another trip to the library I guess.
Profile PM 
AlexR Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 06:01

I have never listened to Adiemus.  Time to give it a try, I think...
Profile PM 
4 replies since Mar. 26 2008, 06:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net