Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Shabda, NED LYRICS!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jameson Kimball Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 26 2007, 16:57

I sound like a ninny when i try to sing those words, any one can help me learn the lyrics

thanks

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2007, 18:48

I've only got the third line, which is in Latin and it's "Lux æterna dona nobis", a combination of two lines from the Requiem and Agnus Dei [Lamb of God] ecclesiastical Latin prayers, literally meaning "Give unto us eternal light".

The other lines are presumably Latin as well, but I can't get anything of them. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 27 2007, 02:31

Just sing "la la la laaaaaa" and you'll be fine  ;)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2007, 05:23

lately ive just been singing:

terra on terra lat ti nomis
suppe fletche terra misee
(wat Ugo said)
terra on terra lat ti chari

i have no clue wat they are really saying but thats how i sing it

help at all?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2007, 06:57

Well, well, well... ;)

"Terra" (Earth) is most probably right. I also hear "temerati" (in awe) on the first and fourth lines, "facile" (easy) in the second line, and "cæli" (skies, or heavens) in the fourth line. But I can't combine all of this into full sentences... the third line is a full sensible sentence, so I guess that the other ones also are... :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2007, 22:24

any updates?

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2007, 22:55

I'm not entirely convinced it is latin. I sampled the sung section of Shabda and slowed it down using some whizzy software, and some of the sounds dont quite sound what has been mentioned here to me. what I get is the following:

tae - oh - tae - nae - ah - tee - ahmiis

sou - per - fah - chee - eh - mah -  nisiii

nou - sey - teh - no - do - mah - do miiss

tera - oh te - ne - fah - ti che a niii

If we are to infer any meaning from the title of the track, then Shabda is a reference to Indian belief's regarding God and that feeling of God within each and every one of us - which to me, sits well with the track's sound and the idea of Musica Universalis.

Therefore, I suggest to you all here that the sung word here is either of Indian origin... (any of those with Indian dialects within their knowledge please step forward) or perhaps it is nonsense speech, as we've seen Mike do before. A similar track where this was equally potent produced by Karl Jenkins was "adieumus" from his project of the same name. Miriam Stokeley, of TMB fame, was the lead vocalist there.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 07:54

@ Arron: sorry to disagree with you, but I really doubt that Mike or Karl J. used pure Adiemus-like nonsense here. Apart from the fact that I'm very familiar with Jenkins' Adiemus pseudo-lyrics, and these just don't sound like them, I'm still convinced that at least one line (the third - "Lux æterna dona nobis") is in real and sensible Latin, and that the words "Terra oh terra" are used in at least two other lines. Maybe the reason why I hear the lines like that is that our respective native languages are so different - yours is English and mine is Italian, and of course Italian sounds a lot like Latin, so I guess it's much easier to recognize Latin for me than for you. :D

By the way, the phrase "Lux æterna dona eis" also appears in Aurora, so maybe there's really something to it! ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 08:16

Dissagree if you like... but slow it down yourself and see what you come up with.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 08:54

I just did... with Samplitude... and I came up with the same. ;) It's not a question of speed, it's a question of phonemes. :)

This is what I hear. All the syllables below are to be read exactly as written.

te-on-te-me-ra-ti-na-nis
su-per-fa-ci-em-a-bys-si
lu-xe-ter-na-do-na-no-bis
tera-on-te-me-ra-ti-ce-li

Lines 2 and 3 are definitely Latin IMHO. Line 2 is from the Book of Genesis - "super faciem abyssi" = "over the face of the waters". Lines 1 and 4 may well be Adiemus-like phonetics, but "temerati cæli" (line 4) means "skies in awe" in Latin, so I guess that the whole line has a meaning. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 12:45

Hmm, to my ears it could be either. I guess it will help when we have the official lyrics from the Album.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2007, 19:48

Quote (arron11196 @ Dec. 08 2007, 18:45)
I guess it will help when we have the official lyrics from the Album.

Yes, sure it will... if the lyrics will be included with the album!! :D As they are completely meaningless [i.e. two of the lines in Shabda make sense, but the whole text makes no sense at all! :)], my worst guess is that they won't. Do you remember when people were transcribing "Surfing" before L&S was released, hoping that the "Surfing" lyrics would be included in the album's booklet? Well, of course, they weren't. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 19:14

All I know is I've attempted to contribute to this thread. People can choose to accept my interpretation of the lyrics or not. I've done it phoenetically to what i could hear in the slowed down versions, if you hear something different, thats fine.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 20:10

Your contribution's much appreciated, Arron. If you never did your own transcription, I'd never have got the second line... :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2007, 06:15

any new updates?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2008, 17:13

Thanks to a stroke of genius from my mom ;), who's a very attentive Bible reader, I've reconstructed the complete lyrics from Shabda. They are all in Latin, but they don't make any sense as a complete lyric, as the first 2 lines come from separate parts of the same sentence, the third comes from another source and the fourth is a variation of the first, with an invented ending.

Here are the four lines, with translations and explanations.

1. Terra autem erat inanis

"The earth was without form", from line 2 of the Book of Genesis. 'Autem', which is pronounced òtem in MotS, is a multi-purpose word [literally meaning 'by the way' or 'meanwhile'] used in classical Latin as a linking word.

2. Super faciem abyssi

"Upon the face of the deep". Also from line 2 of the Book of Genesis, but not linked to the previous line.

3. Lux æterna dona nobis

"Give unto us eternal light". A combination of the Requiem and Agnus Dei Catholic prayers, as I said above. This line has nothing to do with the two lines above.

4. Terra autem erat in cæli

"The earth was in the skies". This is a variation on line 1, but the ending is invented and it makes no real sense in Latin (it's even in the wrong case - it should be "cælorum"). I guess it was written that way just for sonic purposes. :)

The way the lines are sung in Shabda, they sound like this:

Te-rao-te-me-ra-ti-na-nis
Su-per-fa-ci-em-a-bys-si
Lu-xe-ter-na-do-na-no-bis
Te-rao-te-me-ra-tin-ce-li

As a side note, I may add that it's the second time in Mike's career that he makes good use of quotes from the beginning of the Book of Genesis (the best known line from that beginning, "Let there be light", "Fiat lux" in Latin, is indirectly recalled here through the use of the word "lux", although it is in a different context). So, is this just a coincidence, or is Mike particularily fond of that Bible section? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since Nov. 26 2007, 16:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net