Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Settled: Original TB wins, Tubular Bells VS Tubular Bells 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 05:08

@ nightspore: I don't have the Iron Butterfly album [the Doors' stuff is enough for me! :)], and I don't even have an mp3 of that song - although I must admit that Vicki did indeed give me funny looks the very few times I played "Pow R Toc H" or "Atom Heart Mother" (the title track). :D

I don't think there is such a thing as "successful" psychedelia, especially in music. Psychedelia was successful in music because it was fashionable in other areas of the youth subculture of the time, and musicians somehow tried to reproduce the same sorts of "sensations" given by psychedelic drugs through music. But I don't think it ever worked, and I still don't think it works. The only exception are, of course, the Beatles. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 06:02

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 09 2011, 05:08)
The only exception are, of course, the Beatles. :D

What do you think of the Rolling Stones' "She's a Rainbow"? That's one of the few Stones songs I really like.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 08:09

I love that song - I hate the album it's in (Their Satanic Majesties Request), which to me it's too whimsical and far too chaotic. The Stones doing "psychedelic rock" ?? Pfui. :laugh: :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 08:13

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 09 2011, 08:09)
I love that song - I hate the album it's in (Their Satanic Majesties Request), which to me it's too whimsical and far too chaotic. The Stones doing "psychedelic rock" ?? Pfui. :laugh: :D

I haven't heard the album, but if you say it's not worth listening to, I'll believe it!  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 08:22

Hey, the above is just my own taste! :D :O I have a strong liking towards most of the other albums by Jagger & Co., but they should've never dabbled in psychedelics. Neither drugs nor music. When John Lennon did, he produced "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", which to me is a masterpiece. When Jagger & Richards did, they came up with "2000 Light Years From Home", which is nothing but echo-saturated, confusing, confused, messed-up shit - and it didn't get at all better in the simpler live version on Flashpoint. Of course, always IMHO.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2011, 12:07

"2000 light years from home" is my favorite Stones song from my favorite Stones album. Apart from Aftermath and "Majesties" I think their music is shit. Their music is generally so f-ing dull that anything is an improvement, including echoes, phasers and mellotron. In fact the Stones are so dull they don't even die when they ought to, that would be much too experimental.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Simon M Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 06:00

I'm going to be a lone voice in the wilderness, it seems, but I prefer the 2003 re-recorded version of the album [hides behind the couch and ducks].

I like the sound quality, and love the clarity of certain individual instruments (especially the bass guitar).

Just my two cents. ;)
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 17:33

I like the clean sound of 2003 but absolutely detest it when he uses synths instead of the original instruments - which to my mind defeats the whole object of the exercise.

I also like the 1976 Boxed remix because it does balance out a lot of the craziness of the original and it sounds more harmonious...however I also love the rawness and coarseness of the original and it gets played the most - so I would have to say it is this version I prefer over all the others.
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 19:54

I had an amazing 'Tubular Bells' experience yesterday... I was showing her my first months and years of life through a photo album, and I decided to play 'Tubular Bells' on my old dad's vynil player as I was born in 1973... We spent a real good time, and I proposed her matrimony... she said yes... the Caveman was singing!!!!!

You can guess the 'Ambient Guitars' part was really romantic... so, I stood up and held her hips... and we danced to 'The Sailor's Hornpipe' holding and laughing!!!! It was completely unforgettable!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
28 replies since Feb. 03 2011, 08:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net