Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Second Life, Is anyone there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 17 2007, 21:02

Well, finally met up with Ink in 2nd life, and great to meet old friends. It's fantastic how the avatars mimic real life (hehe  :D  )

to cover a few points - ICT is how schools teach new technology - computers, e-mails, internet. It starts in pre-school now.

And having spent just a couple of days in 2nd Life, i have to repeat my earlier comment - it is HUGE!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 18 2007, 03:12

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 12 2007, 23:06)
Clotty and Bill--are you still in SL?

There was an article about SL in CNN Money a couple weeks ago suggesting that only 1 in 6 who visit, stay, primarily because of the learning curve. I have a new avatar, Morrighan Heron. I missed out on Help Island the first time around, so she is going to spend some time there. Apparently if you depart for the mainland, you can't go back to Help Island. Lots of freebies there, I guess. Actually, I've been on Orientation Island for a couple of days trying to help people. Once you get to Help Island there are mentors, but I haven't seen any on Orientation Island. Seems that is where people need help--even trying to walk or put on clothes. Ran into several people from Brasil over the weekend, as well as France, Poland, Switzerland, Spain, Russia, and the Netherlands.

When I'm on my own time, I'll probably be wandering around as Morrighan rather than Korrigan (geez....probably good thing I never had twins, hahahaha).  

SL has been very quirky today--not a good time to join, though I guess it's coming back to normal at any moment.

Some folks here may enjoy the spoof website, http://www.getafirstlife.com. :)

Clotty and Bill--are you still in SL?

Yes Clotty Fellini is still there from time to time. I now have a massive 250 Linden dollars to my name. I seem to have been paid this for simply sitting around a camp fire.

I do a quick search for the two of you whenever I'm there just in case you are on-line. One of these days we'll be on at the same time. I guess I need to consider time differences. I'm in the UK. Inkanta you are US? How about you Bill B?

Btw, you are right about all the 20 something avatars and I'm guilty of this too. Although I have even less hair in SL than in RL.   Also, some of the avatars are going to catch their death of cold if the weather turns bad :D

See you there sometime soon.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 18 2007, 14:44

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 17 2007, 20:02)
Well, finally met up with Ink in 2nd life, and great to meet old friends. It's fantastic how the avatars mimic real life (hehe  :D  )

Indeed! It was fun to see you for a mo last evening! And yes--the avis are such dead-ringers for RL we'd be able to pick the real people out in a crowd, ha ha hahahahaha. <continues to laugh maniacally>

You know you've been in SL too much when you look in the RL mirror and are shocked, wondering, "who is that person???" :D

Clotty--I saw you online briefly yesterday, but by the time I could IM, you'd gone offline. We're on each other's friends list, so you can click on the "friends" button to see who is around.

I tend to be in jeans and a tank top most of the time, though there are lots of clothing options in the inventory and library (under inventory) without having to buy anything. The weather in SL is usually gorgeous, but I went to an Imbolc sabbat that was characteristically snowy and cold. Amazingly, didn't feel a thing! :D

Morrighan, my alter-ego, is still over on Help Island. She had mentioned to one of the greeters (and others) that we really needed a universal translator (there is a babbler adapted for SL) or multi-lingual mentors there, because there are so many non-English speakers around and SL is confusing enough without a language challenge (some do not speak English much at all). The next day, one materialized. Reminded me of the very first episode of Star Trek: TNG, "Encounter at Farpoint." Hopefully, though, no creatures were harmed in the delivery of "wished for" goods in SL. :D

Morrighan is going to have to camp in a chair to raise some money--she has $252L. Korrigan has around $1200L (less since buying some hair to give to Morrighan then finding out it was non-transferable)--that's not even enough to buy a horse.
:/  

I'm in the USA (central time); Bill is eastern time. SL time is the same as Pacific (two hours behind here, so 8 hours behind your time). Did I say that right? If it's 8PM local time where you are, it's 2PM here and noon in SL/PST time. Temporally challenged, here!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2007, 19:17

If you'd like to see a glimpse of SL, check out the promo video made by the Unitarians...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/436187/what_does_it_mean_to_be_a_church/

There is also an article that appeared in yesterday's UUWorld, located at http://www.uuworld.org/life/articles/16206.shtml . My comments about that are that in many ways, I've found the SL church as engaging as the RL one, but in a different way. I find myself energized by the conversations with people from all over the world, and the discussions are engaging. Sometimes my RL one sucks my will to live. :D  I've not been back to the pagan site yet because I haven't figured out where to get some appropriate clothing.

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2007, 18:21

I tried to join today, and found it very frustrating. There's a place called "Orientation Island", where you have to complete 4 sets of 3 tasks in order to get out into anything else.

3 of the tasks were in the "Move" area. There's a glitch where if you complete the tasks and leave the "Move" area, it forgets that you complete them. The central area of Orientation Island is filled with avatars grumbling to each other about why the thing does not work in the "Move" area and because of that, you are stuck in the "foyer" of "Second Life".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 13:12

It really is frustrating at first. Plus, I think it was on the 18th that the system was glitchy and there were rolling restarts within the regions. I kept having to teleport from region to region to avoid automatic logout. Finally a friend transported me to his island and I swam around with a whale for awhile. :D Wednesdays can also be bad, as that is the day when Linden Labs does it's updating. Not a good time to count on the system being glitch-free or up for real-time presentations. We wanted to present HealthInfo Island at a wellness fair last Wednesday and had to rely on a backup slide presentation. Luckily, it was behaving for the program we did the following day for special and academic librarians.

Do what you can with Orientation Island, but spend more time at Help Island and collect the freebies. When finished with Help Island,  go to the New Citizens Plaza, The Shelter, Ahern Welcome Area--or--Second Life Library 2.0 on Info Island. There is usually a librarian around to answer questions. We're still finding that most of the questions we are asked pertain to SL rather than things in RL.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 16:43

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 17 2007, 18:46)
Or how about one on Mike as isn't Tubular Bells is the biggest selling debut album of all time

Are you sure it is? I may be wrong, but until a couple of years ago, it was Alanis Morrissette's "Jagged Little Pill", and it seems a more recent artist has beat her record. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 19:08

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 20 2007, 13:12)
Do what you can with Orientation Island, but spend more time at Help Island and collect the freebies.

Can you leave Orientation Island without completing all the tasks? That's the problem. I flew to the top of the skyscraper, hopped in a car and ran over a rat, many many times before I just gave up.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 23:04

Yes....just make sure you go to Help Island. Once you've left either one of those, the only way to go back is with another avatar.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2007, 10:48

BTW--hiawatha--who are you? I'll add you to my friends list. At this point, for you, it's probably better to add Morrighan Heron for me. Korrigan and Morrighan are now property owners and in process of rezzing a house. Korrigan is trying to be the work avi and Morrighan the "everything else" one. At some point, they'll have an open house. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 02 2007, 12:22

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 02 2007, 15:46

OK--I offered you friendship. :) Too bad that you missed Help Island with all the freebies, but there are places to go to get more. Yes--you will begin the next time in the location from which you logged off. When you go back again, try teleporting to the New Citizens' area. Click on the SEARCH button, then "all," and checkmark the "mature" box. Within the listing is NCI--New Citizens at Kuula 54, 175, 29. Careful of Gor places, btw. That is a very serious, mature sim, requires much cultural knowledge, and if you go there, you need to wear a visitor's tag. You might also want to try the Second Life Library 2.0 at Info Island 89, 126, 34. Just input "second life library" minus the " " into the search box. There are usually several librarians around who are anxious to help people. Most of the questions they get are about SL rather than the real world. BTW--SL has been a bit glitchy lately--I had that challenge the other day and kept flying into things. There is also a scheduled downtime on Wednesday for maintenance (7-11AM PST; 14:00-1800 GMT), so hopefully things will improve.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 18:17

I've set up a tubular.net group on SL, called Tubular.net (Mike Oldfied's Music). You can locate it through the SEARCH feature. Click on groups and type "tubular" or "oldfield" into the resulting search window.

Cheers,

Inkanta

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 06 2007, 20:52

Just found Menorca in SL. It's a live music place, but it seems to be based on Menorca (where Inc cover was shot). Wondered if anyone who has actually visited the real place and is in SL could confirm. Thanks! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 07 2007, 12:29

I used to be in SL quite a bit but haven't been so much for the last few months (work and things...). Anyway, when I'm there I go by the name of Joseph Melbourne. I'll need to look out for you lot next time I'm there. :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 29 2007, 03:58

OHMIGOD! As I type the Manticore in SL is streaming part I of Hergest Ridge! I think they stream morow.com but it doesn't match what shoutcast says should be playing!!

Inkanta, up working very late on library stuff

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 09:47

"Come another year and I am sitting here..."  Oops, wrong artist. :D Anyway.....

Nearly a year later (has it really been that long since my last post about SL????).... Mike still doesn't have an individual SL presence, though other musicians increasingly do. I don't have a lot of land, but what I have I intend to start terraforming into Hergest Ridge before too long....maybe remove my sky house for more prims to work with....wish I could let HR gently roll downhill into Menorca. In SL you could do that if your land included beach property. :)

Well, the Manticore is gone, but there are some great prog rock places.  The owner of one and the DJs stream great stuff. It is also a perfect venue for musicians wanting to test how live music works in SL. The owner also has a special place in his heart for Mike's music.  I missed the Mike Oldfield night a few weeks back (I can't be there as much these days), so when we caught up, he played some Mike for me, sweet guy! Last night, Music of the Spheres made a bit of an appearance, and those who had a taste of it were intending to run out (of SL) and buy.  I would love to see MotS launched in SL. Could do as an event, simulcast to several sims and have interviews on Linden Radio. And some analysis.  There are already lots of people who know what they're doing who would step in and help, so it would be low-cost to Universal and great visibility for Mike.

As I've said before, Mike really needs to be there. He could be there officially as himself and then have another avatar when he wanted to blend. I think he'd like drinking a virtual Guinness at one of the clubs. If he were wandering the virtual world of SL totally incognito and de-cloaked, no one would believe it was him anyway. Ask another musician who may or may not be himself that some of us may or may not hang out with (if that just made any sense! ). :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 26 2008, 11:47

Inkanta, who is travelling (in her first life), reminds us that Moog McMahon is hosting a Mike Oldfield night in Second Life at the Subterranea. It is Friday, 27 June at 12PM SLT (Pacific Time, 8PM GMT).
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 26 2008, 17:38

err.. being a very occasional visitor to SL - where the heck is "subterranea"

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2008, 22:21

I seem to be a very occasional visitor to this particular topic! Sorry about that!  :O  :O

Anyway....the best way to find the Subbie (and it's still going strong):

1. Click on the search feature, bottom middle of your SL screen.
2. On the resulting search screen, make sure the "mature content" box on the right hand side is check marked.
3. Click on "all" button, extreme left of search screen.
4. Type in "subterranea" -- it will be the first item that is retrieved. It has a little green icon, which means it's a landmark.
5. Click on the name; the resulting screen will have a "teleport" button.

Repeat the process to find the Porcupine Tree--"The Tree" will be the fourth item in the list--another great prog place in SL--and includes a museum.

--------------
Profile PM 
64 replies since May 24 2006, 21:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net