Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Second Life, Is anyone there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2006, 18:21

I'll give it a miss - I'm still trying to keep things under control in my First Life - no point complicating things with another... :/

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 30 2006, 17:42

Quote (Inkanta @ July 07 2006, 11:43)
You don't have to wander about skyclad--you're given clothes when you create your avatar. I suspect that most of the 300,000 people have their homes in their first life, and just visit SL. :)  BTW...there are some "mixed reality" events there, as well. :laugh:

Free clothes???? :/ . I could do with expanding my wardrobe. I'm confused about this Second Life,I've had a look there but just don't understand how it works  :/ .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 22:53

Whoops! Missed this thread for weeks! I didn't get 'SL either until I arrived, and at times--ok, usually--I still don't. The basic thing is that you need to download the software, select a name, and design your avatar. Go through Orientation Island, and you can also request a helper to show you around. There is definitely a learning curve and I'm not there yet. If you've ever moved to a totally new place, your first experiences in SL will be like that. It is a bit disorienting and you may experience culture shock.

I need to spend more time myself learning to get around and do things. The other night I lost my hair, for example, and had to redesign it. Now it looks plain weird. :O Friday night, there was a Henry VIII enactor from the UK (he is a historian IRL) at the SL library's theatre.  The Henry VIII avatar looked like Henry but was thinner, as are most people in SL. :D He explained why he divorced or killed his wives. His explanations and interactions with the audience were via text-chat. He had brought pictures of himself and his wives, which were displayed (they are still up).  The other avatars sat around and watched his presentation, interacting by typing (you can see the avatars make typing motions when they type something--their arms go out in front of them and they look like they're typing at an invisble keyboard). BTW, Henry would like to set up Hampton Court Palace and find someone to play Anne Boleyn. He is relieved that in the 21st century, you don't have to go around beheading your wives. :) After, everyone adjourned to a networking SL dance at one of the clubs, and that's where I lost my hair. I accidentally ended up sitting on top of a sign, and when I clicked on the wrong option, I was suddenly on the ground behind the sign but hairless. <sigh>

Maybe we could set up the Beacon and find a Mike impersonator. There is now an audio option, btw. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 20 2007, 07:03

Has anyone else on the forum registered and explored the virtual world called Second Life? For those that are not familiar it is similar to Mike's Music Virtual Reality, but of course much bigger and with tens of thousands of 'people' to potentially meet.

I tried it for the first time this week and after a bit of exploring, it occurred to me that it could be a good place for Oldfield fans to meet up and have a chat in virtual reality.

(It is free to get started and to explore).

What do you think? Anyone interested? Are there any experienced Second Lifers out there that can suggest where to meet?

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2007, 14:23

Clotty, as you can see I merged your topic into the older one that I has started awhile back. I think you'll find the discussion interesting. ;)

My library system continues to be very involved, and one of the profs at one of our member universities has been teaching an ethnography class in it this month. Harvard now has one of it's building re-created in SL and is delivering distance learning, as well.  I'm still not there like I should be, but that is going to be changing. I've been totally afraid of getting sucked in, and some people do. I've read about it on their blogs. :)

My vision is a tubular island with a link to MVR. Although the primary purpose of SL (other than for Linden Labs to make a profit) is to give people the creativity to build, produce, have fun, and run with ideas, apparently various games have been linked to SL. SL isn't about gaming in the sense of Runescape and things like that--it is a life--a second life--not really a game (other than maybe sometimes life seeming like one big game). I actually emailed the Oldfields about this a long time ago but never heard anything. I don't know what copyright implications would be for establishing a tubular island without Mike's involvement.

--------------
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2007, 05:06

:O its seems very interesting! But it can be very dangers...I have some friends thet played WoW (world of warcraft) and they dont even sleep!! I ask him:"Whats up?"and he start  answering me what he managed to do in game!!! :S I know WoW isnt even close to the SL but...still :) I like to talk to people! Il try it any way

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 21 2007, 14:39

Lots of interesting discussion above.

I've approached Second Life with a really open mind. There's a big part of me thinking Why? What is the point? All that is going to happen is I'm going to lose hours of my life walking and of course flying around a cartoon world that doesn't exist, with no real objective.

On the other hand in the two visits so far I've already discovered that I can have a chat with people from all over the real world (well the US and France so far) whilst admiring the clever technology. I also know that the company that I work for has experimented with holding meetings in Second Life.

So what's the advantage? Will it feel more like a real meeting just because you can see the avatars of the people attending as they arrive and maybe their reaction to discussion. You can mingle and chat before and after the meeting and see when people leave. Will that be better than instant messaging or telecons? Might it be better if and when the graphics improve and/or voice over ip is added?  I'm not sure.

I wonder if it could go beyond a meeting place. Could these 'Metaverses' eventually turn into the next version of the internet. We are already accustomed to being almost constantly logged onto the Internet, so why not almost constantly having access to a virtual world on our computers when we want it.

Instead of companies having a presence on the web in the form of a website, they have a shop in the virtual world. That's obviously already started, but whether it could replace the Web as we know it in the future I'm also not sure. It could equally be a fad that gradually disappears. Who knows.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing Oldfield Island in due course  :)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2007, 15:50

Clotty whey interesting idea! but steal This world is becaming more and more virtual..And realy its shame thet all of as are almost alweys are logged in...I think thet we shoud fight back the virtual shadow of are own world...Afcorse,sometimes virtual realyty is a hideout from this world. Even if it is the same,but not egzist,its steal a place where people find peace..Sounds inpossible but thet is it... I just wish thet all of thet ends

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2007, 19:03

In October, I gave a talk at a mixed reality event. The topic was on virtual communities (that entire one-day conference is archived and probably available someplace within SL). There were maybe 35 people in the same real-life room, another group of avatars in SL sitting or standing projected on a screen in the room, and then a bunch of people tuned in through a Voice Over IP program (they could interact via chat and talking if they had a microphone). It was very interesting. Our library is at Info Island (the Second Life Library 2.0). I have to finish some projects at work and catch up with my community responsibilities in the real world, then I expect to be in SL more often.

SL has also been great for artists. Some SL residents buy artwork for their SL homes, and some buy the original real life piece for their RL homes. It's also being used more and more for music.

In my wildest of dreams (why not dream big?) I'd love to see Tubular Island with a link to MVR (in October there were over 2 million people registered for SL, though it's not clear how many actually stay or log in on a regular basis and the number is constantly growing--but think of the exposure) and also a stage for fan music where even Mr. Oldfield could occasionally pull up a chair and perform.  Musicians perform to an audience of avatars and some like the immediate feedback and responsiveness. Maybe it's not as good as real life, but it's more interactive than sitting in a studio broadcasting, according to those who have performed in SL.

I don't think social software is going away anytime soon--I think it will get better and better and more widespread. I'll see you there soon! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2007, 09:58

I was curious about this so I created an account two days ago.  Right now I am still exploring and learning how to get around.  I've met two people from Germany and one from Belgium.  Everyone seems very nice, but then again, I am still in the area where everyone starts off.  It seems that there is little I can do, besides flyng or teleporting around and talk to people, without spending real money.  It is a very complex world.  I will continue to work with it to see if it is something I am willing to pay money for.  

Interestingly enough, I have already found Bag End and had a quick comment from Bilbo - something about locking up as I was about to enter.

By the way, my name in Second Life is Stella Teatime.

I agree, a Tubular Island would be awesome.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2007, 20:22

My SL name is Korrigan Keynes. It's good that you went through Orientation Island. It used to be that if anyone skipped it, s/he wouldn't be able to go back and do it at another time--maybe it's still that way, I dunno.

There really are free events and stuff to do without spending money. Everyone gets a free tool kit, and I've heard that sometimes people give away various things--even houses.

And--as in real life, the library offers free programs and databases (Second Life Library 2.0, Info Island).

To find out what's going on in SL, you can click on "search" at the bottom of the screen to bring up a menu that includes classifieds, events, and popular places. Well, you still have to choose the category and then search . There are a ton of classes coming up that instruct on how do various things in SL, like building. They seem to be free (maybe a group of us should sign up for the same class). There is a genealogy workshop coming up in the SL library on 24 Jan. I think you have to check the "mature" box to get our events, btw. That one came up either under "education" or "arts and culture."

One thing I learned in preparing for that talk is that in SL and other social networking programs, people can generally be anything they want to be-- a flower, a cat, butterfly--anything. But the sociological research suggests that most people choose to be their version of the stereotypic ideal of their own gender --so, that's why you'll see a lot of thin, 20-something looking avatars wandering around. There are exceptions and maybe this will change, but that's the state of the avatars right now.  Me? I'd just like to figure out how to put on more clothes. :D  I'm not exactly in businss attire, yikes. Librarians gone wild?  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2007, 12:53

Hmmm....just lost my post. Anyway....have figured out the clothes thing and even where to find some free ones (search under dove--think it's called Free Dove). Also found my church organization (the national one). Had seen some pagan places, but hadn't really thought about the more organized religions having a presence (but of course they would). Perfect for homebound people who want to have some connection (feels more real than a radio or TV broadcast cos you can interact). In the case of my church (Unitarian Universalist), sometimes I come across talks (we don't call them sermons--they're not) on the Web and think, "Wow...wish I lived closer to visit that church and hear him/her!" Well...the SL UU church enables guest ministers and others to present talks, so now it might be possible!  The UU organization includes teachings from all human religious traditions (it is even welcoming to Wiccans! ) and is heavily into social action--I look forward to some great intellectual conversations! We don't have the missionary spirit (not all UU groups even call themselves a church--some say "society"), but I wonder what is going to happen when some of the "knocking on door"-type ones get there? Not sure I'd like to see my avatar approached by someone handing out flyers advertising their revival. :O

Also found a very cool BBC music-type spot in my wandering.  I thought it might be related to Fish (still not sure about that) from it's name. Search note: When searching for stuff, guess it's important to say "all" and also "mature" (even our libraries are under "mature").  I've been having more luck with that than using specific categories.

Today's SL tubular island musings: Exhibitions of fan artwork; links to music; a club decorated tubularly that would have performance areas, both indoor and outdoor, overlooking the sea. Tubular jewelry for avatars. Hmm. Money. Maybe we could do this much without running amok, but islands cost money. Anyone want to approach Richard Branson? He likes islands. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2007, 23:06

Clotty and Bill--are you still in SL?

There was an article about SL in CNN Money a couple weeks ago suggesting that only 1 in 6 who visit, stay, primarily because of the learning curve. I have a new avatar, Morrighan Heron. I missed out on Help Island the first time around, so she is going to spend some time there. Apparently if you depart for the mainland, you can't go back to Help Island. Lots of freebies there, I guess. Actually, I've been on Orientation Island for a couple of days trying to help people. Once you get to Help Island there are mentors, but I haven't seen any on Orientation Island. Seems that is where people need help--even trying to walk or put on clothes. Ran into several people from Brasil over the weekend, as well as France, Poland, Switzerland, Spain, Russia, and the Netherlands.

When I'm on my own time, I'll probably be wandering around as Morrighan rather than Korrigan (geez....probably good thing I never had twins, hahahaha).  

SL has been very quirky today--not a good time to join, though I guess it's coming back to normal at any moment.

Some folks here may enjoy the spoof website, http://www.getafirstlife.com. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2007, 19:14

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 13 2007, 04:06)
Some folks here may enjoy the spoof website, http://www.getafirstlife.com. :)

The GAFL website  :laugh: . I gather it isn't supposed to work.
All these web communities, seemed to have joined so many then forget I've joined them.  I guess I started on  these sites to make friends, some of them have become very good real life friendships :) as well as cyber ones  

That reminds me haven't been on Hammond Heaven for a while, guess I've been on myspace. Oh I haven't been on Queen on Line for a while either. Yes I love the music of Queen, but can get a bit fed up of some of the bitchiness that can go on there amongst a minority of members. I seem to remember one particularly nasty post about John Deacon, saying he had contributed nothing to Queen. But Oh yes he has contributed so much, bassist from 1971-1991, wrote Your'e My Best Friend, Another one Bites The Dust , I Want To Break Free, three of Queen's biggest hits.Not to mention his album contributions, such as You and I, Spread Your Wings, Misfire, Who Needs  You, Need Your Loving Tonight , One Year of Love to name a few. He's contributed some great basslines, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Under Pressure, Dragon Attack and Another One Bites The Dust.  IIR he also plays acoustic guitar on Misfire and Who Needs You   :):cool:  :D .
John Richard Deacon, underrated??? Yes most definitely!!!!

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2007, 11:49

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 14 2007, 00:14)
John Richard Deacon, underrated??? Yes most definitely!!!!

I totally agree about that comment on John Deacon. He definitely seems to be the most forgotten member of the band. Admittedly, when I first bought their "Greatest Hits" Album, long before I was a fully-fledged Queen fan, I didn't know who John Deacon was, but I knew the rest. I think John Deacon is actually a very private person, he doesn't do too many interviews, but his music is excellent. In fact, one of my all-time favourite Queen songs is "You're My Best Friend", and, second only to "Bohemian Rhapsody" is my favourite song on their best Album: "A Night At The Opera".

I think one of the most remarkable things about Queen is that each member has contributed at least one iconic Queen song. I could list each member now and give at least one song they have written which has become anthemic. I think I'll do it now:

Freddie Mercury - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Brian May - "We Will Rock You" (even better played live)
Roger Taylor - "Radio Ga Ga"
John Deacon - "Another One Bites The Dust"

I could go on, but that's all from me for now, the school I go to is demanding my ICT Coursework, and a rough draft of my History.

Fare-thee-well, my good friends.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2007, 22:31

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 12 2007, 23:06)
Clotty and Bill--are you still in SL?

I haven't gone back in over a week.  I just seemed to wander around aimlessly.  Couldn't really find anything of interest.  I agree that learning is difficult.  It just didn't give me any reason to stick around.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 09:23

I think that's another reason why only one in six who try SL (at this point in time) remain. My 14-year old daughter joined Teen SL and got bored (but she is going to try again). When I first joined, that's what I did, too--wandered around and left for months. It is very different for me, now. Other than needing to come up to speed so I can take a shift at the reference desk, last night, I attended a presentation sponsored by the American Library Association's Washington office and given by one of my favorite library professors. Afterwards, I caught the end of the Unitarian Church service, met someone who has set up a 12-step program in SL, and went on a tour of that facility in a region I'd never known existed.

My new avi is still over on Help Island trying to learn how to build and helping people with basic questions. One of the Unitarians gave me a universal babbler that had been adapted for SL use and now I need to figure out how to share it with my other avi, offline.

Anyway--if you've left Help Island, here are some good places to go for new citizens (freebies, tutorials, and people to meet): the Ahren Welcome Area; New Citizen's Plaza; and The Shelter--Isabel. Some interesting destinations are Svarga, the Sci-Fi Geeks Museum and Theatre, and the International Spaceflight Museum. I would be remiss in not mentioning the Second Life Library 2.0 on Info Island (just Info Island...not short for "Information"). There is often a librarian on the outdoor reference desk and there are databases and books available inside the library. Ah--you can also earn Linden dollars by camping in chairs (think for 15 min. at a time) in the Starlight Room. There are lots of clubs where you can go dancing (to dance you generally click on a blue or pink ball on the dance floor).

To find any of those places, I find it easiest to open the search feature (bottom of the screen), click on "all" and "include mature content" (even for the library)-- think that's what it says. I haven't figured out how to search by coordinates yet. Anyway...you can just throw in a keyword and that usually works.

I'll be in-world over the weekend at some point(s).

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 19:46

well, i finally took the plunge and in I went. After all this discussion, another game i hang out in got their own island so I thought it was about time.

Yep - it's a steep learning curve - but mainly it is BIG!  :O

We will have to try and meet up sometime someplace, but give a while to try and find my feet. My in-world name is Olrac Oh

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 22:17

Indeed....hang out at Help Island for awhile and get all the free stuff you can. I have a great collection of wings. :D

We'll have to have a tubular meet up! BTW---the free house that I picked up on Help Island is called the tubular house!!! Soon I hope to be a landowner and have a place to plop it down!

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2007, 18:46

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Feb. 14 2007, 16:49)
I could go on, but that's all from me for now, the school I go to is demanding my ICT Coursework, and a rough draft of my History.

Fare-thee-well, my good friends.

What's ICT???

About history, why not do your project on Queen, after all they are the biggest selling band of all time, having passed Elvis, The Rolling Stones and even The Beatles in terms of record sales   :cool:  :D.  Or how about one on Mike as isn't Tubular Bells is the biggest selling debut album of all time, and also the biggest selling instrumental album ever  :cool:, that is if you don't count the grunting of Piltdown Man as vocals, not that I'd class them as vocals as it isn't clear what the lyrics are.

About this Second Life I haven't really gone beyond the first or second page, find it a bit complicated. I guess that's what happens with some of these social networking sites, usually forget I've joined them.  Saying that I've made some good cyberfriends on them, who have gone on to become good friends in real life too.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
64 replies since May 24 2006, 21:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net