Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Schiller, Christopher von Deylen's Wonderful Music< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2008, 17:42

Quote (Ugo @ June 12 2008, 18:25)
I don't mean any offence to any Germans in here or to anyone else, but I really hate the way German language sounds. A friend of mine who sings opera as a soprano told me that German only sounds good when it's sung. Well, I don't agree - to me German sounds ugly when spoken and when sung. I've heard Mozart's fantastic aria "Der Hölle Rache" sung in Italian, and it sounds much better to me than in German.

I'm sure there are pletny of others who share that opinion, Ugo. I remember my Spanish language teacher telling us that "One should sing in Italian, laugh in French, and argue in German." I vaguely recall that some poor languages got stuck with "spitting" and "vomiting"!

The German language appeals to me, which was why I took two years of it in high school. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of it being sung, but I'd usually rather hear the original language when possible (as in films, as well), so I prefer the German "Der Hölle Rache". Actually, you know what? I don't know if I've even heard an Italian version, so maybe I would prefer that?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 18:28

I grew up watching German detective series like Derrick and Der Alte. :D
When Schiller's Tag Und Nacht begins with the voice announcing: "Guten abend, willkommen aus neuen welt fron Schiller" (ok, that's propably not correctly typed) I feel chills in mein Wirbelsäule. :cool:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 13 2008, 19:27

@ Sweetpea, off topic: the Italian version of "Der Hölle Rache" does indeed exist, and it's pretty much the only version performed by Italian sopranos. The whole of Die Zauberflöte was translated and adapted into Italian in the 1930s; however, it's not performed very often in Italy, because of the fact that that it has lots of spoken parts, and so it sounds more like a musical than an opera - to Italians at least. :D We don't have anything like the German Singspiel - Italian operas are sung all the way through, with recitatives and so on. And that's one of the reasons why I find opera in general extremely boring. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 02:18

Well, Ugo, I'm going to admit that even though I enjoy comic opera and the German language, outside of a couple of parts, I didn't enjoy The Magic Flute. Which was quite disappointing, on my first listen, since it seemed like it should've been right up my alley. Maybe it's just Mozart, himself, that I'm not that fond of?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 02:22

Quote (Harmono @ June 13 2008, 18:28)
I feel chills in mein Wirbelsäule.

:laugh:  Goodness, Harmono. Even knowing what that means, it still sounds naughty!

--------------
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: June 15 2008, 10:12

Quote (Sweetpea @ June 15 2008, 08:22)
Quote (Harmono @ June 13 2008, 18:28)
I feel chills in mein Wirbelsäule.

:laugh:  Goodness, Harmono. Even knowing what that means, it still sounds naughty!

Naughty and beautiful.

I think Sehnsucht, Schillers latest album, is ok but sounds too
much like Tag und Nacht.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 15 2008, 14:23

Of Schiller's work, I've only really heard Tag und Nacht plus a few other songs. My feeling from hearing those is that I support the use of German...which I should say is my opinion in general; while I realise that the widespread teaching and use of English is what makes forums like this one - amongst other things - possible, I think languages are a distinct part of identity, and I think that's something that should be reflected wherever possible.

I think each language does have a distinct character - as Harmono demonstrated with the use of Wirbelsäule (meaning spine, for anyone still puzzling :D)! I ruminated on that a little bit in a poetry topic that bee started a while ago - specifically, the issues in translating Theodor Storm's Die Stadt into English and how it loses something in the process (indeed, I actually think it's an inevitable and perhaps even necessary thing that something gets lost in the process of translation - I'd say the aim with a successful translation is more of adding something that's equivalently good than it is about trying to not lose things).

So...my feeling is that with any piece of writing where the words have really been chosen for effect is that the language it's written in is an essential part of that process, partly because of the sound and partly because of the way certain concepts can be expressed. I must say that on the subject of Mozart, I'm with Sweetpea as far as not being a huge fan (but also in my case, I must add, not a huge expert) of his music, but on listening to Der Hölle Rache and examining the libretto, my inclination is to say that a certain amount of ugliness is deliberate.  considering she's explaining that the vengeance of hell is boiling in her heart, with death and despair licking up around her like flames, I'd personally say it works better when sentiments like that aren't made to sound too pretty (I think he's on the edge of doing that with the music anyway, actually...).

I'd also say that similar is the case with Die Nacht (Du Bist Nicht Allein) - I feel that the sound of the words has a hard and often dark edge, which I find fits very well with the message of the song (the coming of night, though I'd say almost more in a figurative sense - either way, a lot of the verses seem to describe despair and anguish, even though there is a thread of hope running all the way through). I think that's a really nice example of all the elements working together to full effect in Schiller's music, actually.
I'm less keen on Der Tag (Du Bist Erwacht) in general, but I do rather like the "Schmetterlingsflügel, Schneeflockentanz" bit. I wouldn't like it any more in English...
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 27 2008, 14:06

I've been sampling some of Schiller's work, recently, and really enjoying it. Thanks for pointing out "Die Nacht", Korgscrew - it's a wonderful piece. I've also given "Morgentau" (featuring Mike) proper attention, and it immediately went to my faves list. I think Schiller is pretty talented - Mike's guitar is integrated so well, being neither too much nor too little. I just wish the track were longer!

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 30 2008, 09:53

Quote (Ugo @ June 13 2008, 19:27)
Italian operas are sung all the way through, with recitatives and so on. And that's one of the reasons why I find opera in general extremely boring. :D

You may like Rossini, Ugo, given that you like manic trance music :)
My favourite Rossini opera is The Thieving Magpie, which, apart from a sag in the middle, is one of the wildest, most exuberant compositions I know of. The overture was used as the "ultra-violence" music in A Clockwork Orange; the way Kubrick choreographed the music so that the Rossini crescendo corresponded with the guy in the street fight scene being hurled through a plate glass window was terrific.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 30 2008, 10:18

I enjoy listening to other languages, and I like the sound of German. I believe the only music I heard sung in German is Beethoven's symphony no. 9, Mahler's symphony no. 8, Kraftwerk and Faust (I've got Wagner's whole Ring des Nibelungen on the computer but I'm yet to hear it), but I like it. In fact, the language that I think sounds more awkward when sung is North-American English (e.g. that particular 'a' sound as in "care", the extended 'RRRRRRRRRRR's); the British accent has a more musical character, to me.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 14:36

Ironically,last saturday (Mike's birthday) I finally had the chance to see Schiller live in Düsseldorf,during his current Atemlos(Breathless) tour.

It was a 2h 30min gig that I'll never forget,all those years since I've been a Schiller fan - it was all Mike's fault,because of their mutual collaboration L+S (Nightshade)/ Tag und Nacht (Morgentau) - the concert was fabulous,powerful and with a great sound.

Thanks Mike for that as well  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 19 2010, 07:43

I thought about going to Berlin this month to see Schiller, but it has been impossible!!

Can you tell the setlist, Tati? 2h30min is a really wonderful timing for a concert....
Profile PM 
31 replies since Sep. 04 2005, 15:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net