Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: San Francisco band inspired by Hergest Ridge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 08 2007, 05:57

Citay

Citay, above link, are deeply inspired by Mike's work, specifically TB and HR, but more particularly by Ridge. They sound like they produce interesting music.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2008, 16:27

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded their 2007 album and it sounds great!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2008, 17:02

Wow, this caught my eye, then my ears! Really like the little bits I've heard, some on You tube ~ Eye on the Dollar , Dead Oceans...good, interesting sounds...and what nice things said about Mike too in the article.... "He takes his time compositionally, and he's concerned with repetition and lushness and compositions that unfold slowly and that take you somewhere different than where you begin."

I'm definitely going to seek them out when finances permit.

Thanks Marky for the information

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2008, 20:19

I started looking for them after I read this thread. They do like Byrds too, I can tell, and it was listed on their myspace page. I found them to be interesting in a way, but all I got to hear was the first track from their first CD and 3 or 4 from thier 2nd CD. The first track of the 2 CD's sounded like the same song, pretty much. The only complaint I have is the overuse of D-modal tuning. I suffered some nerve damage at age 12 and can not change chords fast, etc with my left hand. Hence about 23 years ago, just having fun, I tuned my acoustic to D-modal and went dog nuts. It's easy to make many chords with only 2 or 3 fingers. But it gets monotonous quickly as does Citay. Hell, if I knew D-modal was gonna sell someday, I should have done only that. Other than that, it sounded like late 60's Flower Power on steroids. Reminiscent of some Byrds music, maybe Ultimate Spinach.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 15:20

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 20 2008, 20:19)
I started looking for them after I read this thread. They do like Byrds too, I can tell, and it was listed on their myspace page. I found them to be interesting in a way, but all I got to hear was the first track from their first CD and 3 or 4 from thier 2nd CD. The first track of the 2 CD's sounded like the same song, pretty much. The only complaint I have is the overuse of D-modal tuning. I suffered some nerve damage at age 12 and can not change chords fast, etc with my left hand. Hence about 23 years ago, just having fun, I tuned my acoustic to D-modal and went dog nuts. It's easy to make many chords with only 2 or 3 fingers. But it gets monotonous quickly as does Citay. Hell, if I knew D-modal was gonna sell someday, I should have done only that. Other than that, it sounded like late 60's Flower Power on steroids. Reminiscent of some Byrds music, maybe Ultimate Spinach.

Maybe so, but they still sound good and that's what's important to me.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 18:22

Quote (imhotep @ Aug. 27 2008, 15:20)
Maybe so, but they still sound good and that's what's important to me.

I agree. They sound just as impressive when you listen again and again. A very good friend of mine has made it possible for me to listen to Little Kingdom and Citay recently, and I have not been disappointed. I don't play the guitar and have no clue what d - modal is when it's at home, so maybe I listen differently, but I still like the sound Citay have.  It's a feelgood sound, positive and pleasant and why can't things that are like that have a recognised value? Their many influences are woven into the music and I shall definitely keep an eye open for anything else they might do. :cool:

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 03:09

D-modal is a guitar tuning where you tune the 2 E strings to D. The B string to A. Leaving the other strings alone it is DADGAD. Strumming the strings open, you have a nice indian/asian sounding chord. Led Zep used it some, Doors, many examples....
   Hey, don't get mad. I didn't say Citay is bad or that they sew socks that smell......I only got to hear scant 3 songs maybe. Don't let me leave feeling bad. Gimme a hug or something.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 09:25

I love DADGAD tuning!It's actually quite difficult to sound bad in it (unless you suffer with Cloth Ears).We do a tune where i drop into DADGAD while i'm playing.Taken a while to master the actual tuning while i'm playing but it kicks ass when it works!I love the rumble of the low D :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 11:58

What I loved about it, D-modal......I had a benign brain tumor at age 12, which after it was removed left my left hand less coordinated. So years later, I could make all kinds of chords with 2 fingers only, and also tons more with an easy positioning of 3 fingers. Not so easy with standard tuning.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 12:13

You're right there.It is a nice easy tuning for chords.You can play a barre chord with one finger!No wonder Joni likes open tunings!I play slide in open E.Just as easy for chords but nowhere near as nice sounding.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 15:37

Yes indeed. One time in the 90's I finally used a capo to turn D-modal into F-modal, or whatever......It sounded so cool I did a tune. That tape from the multitrack I used is long since gone, wish I had it cuz I was proud of it. Or perhaps it sucked so bad I didn't feel like mixing it to a cassette. Either way, try this tuning with a capo too, it's even better.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2008, 08:41

I have used a capo on it but i get easily confused!I believe Mr O has used this tuning occasionaly.His early folk influences all played around with it (Jansch,Renbourne et all)but i believe it was made popular by Davey Graham.The intro from Amarok is definately drop tuned.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2008, 22:05

Yeah, I can hear the string buzz on the 2nd occurance of the acoustic part I like(about midway thru Amarok. Prob. from the E string tuned a whole note down to D.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
12 replies since Nov. 08 2007, 05:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net