Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Same Karl Jenkins?, From 2nd House Performance?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 13 2007, 23:42

I was just watching my copy of the Elements DVD and noticed the credits for the Tubular Bells Part 1 performance at 2nd House and found Karl Jenkins name there for playing the oboe. Is it the same Karl Jenkins as the one collaborating with Mike on MOTS?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 01:44

Yes he is the same one  ;)

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 01:48

Quote (ProjectZ @ Dec. 14 2007, 01:44)
Yes he is the same one  ;)

Karl mentioned this in one of the web-TV interviews - that he remembered playing with Mike, but Mike didn't remember playing with Karl.
Many excelent musicians took part of that performance BTW; Mike Ratledge, Fred Frith etc.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 14 2007, 13:42

Interesting. Mike has played with a lot of people I'm not surprised he didn't remember lol. That must have been one of his first performances too, I suppose.

As for the other noted artists, I don't even know who Karl Jenkins is, really. So I wouldn't recognize any of those other names.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2007, 13:37

He's done a lot of things you may have heard of but couldn't place him, for example, the music to the deBeers adverts seen in cinemas, or the music to the delta airlines advert. That track came from collaboration with Miriam Stokeley, of whom we know from her involvment in The Millenium Bell (whether you love it or loathe it).

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2007, 19:45

@ Brandon: Karl Jenkins is the man behind the Adiemus project. Take a look here to read more about it. One of the pieces quoted by Arron is indeed called "Adiemus", and you've probably heard it a jillion times without knowing its title (or its composer). :D IMHO some of MotS (especially the ending of Shabda, and Aurora) sounds very like Adiemus. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2007, 05:54

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 15 2007, 19:45)
@ Brandon: Karl Jenkins is the man behind the Adiemus project. Take a look here to read more about it. One of the pieces quoted by Arron is indeed called "Adiemus", and you've probably heard it a jillion times without knowing its title (or its composer). :D IMHO some of MotS (especially the ending of Shabda, and Aurora) sounds very like Adiemus. ;)

I don't know much about all that Adiemus stuff, but I know that Karl Jenkins was member/bandleader of legendary band Soft Machine in 1972-1984. All their albums are worth checking out. Before that he was a member of Ian Carr's Nucleus, a even more legendary jazz rock band.

As for the other musicians who played on that particular TB performance - someone had made a god job of getting the very elite of mid 70s avant-garde rock musicians. The chubby guy with the pony-tail is Fred Frith, who has recorded dozens of albums of experimental guitar pieces (some very good!). The keyboardist with the black moustache is Mike Ratledge (also of Soft Machine). There's also Mick Taylor (of the Rolling Stones!!!) and Steve Hillage (of Gong/System 7). Just search for any of those names and you will end up discovering the most fantastic music (Rolling Stones excepted here!).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since Dec. 13 2007, 23:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net